Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for a Job & Required to Sign Authorization to Run My Credit

tag
homewardbound
Contributor

Applied for a Job & Required to Sign Authorization to Run My Credit

I applied for a job (non-governmental or finance-related) and was suprised when I was required to sign an authorization to run my credit.  I am completely panicked because I filed Ch. 7 one year ago.  I had to file for reasons that were simply out of my control.  I was in a relationship with someone that put me in major debt because he was trying to get a business off the ground that never came to fruition, and of course, now I am paying for it.  I filed because there was simply no way I could pay off 45k in debt and it was ruining my life.  Nevertheless, now I have to pay for it.  But for the past several years, I have been totally responsible with my finances and credit and have not had a problem.

I really need some advice and really want this job.  Has anyone been through the same situation before, or how do you suggest I handle this situation?  Should I try to explain the reasons for the Ch 7 filing to the Human Resource department and hope they understand?  I know they legally can't deny me employment because I filed for BK, but clearly it won't look good in their eyes.  HELP!  I am so stressed about this.  Are more companies now beginning to run credit as part of the hiring process?  How is this going to affect me and all the other people that have filed a BK?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TigerCat
Valued Member

Re: Applied for a Job & Required to Sign Authorization to Run My Credit

If the rest of your record is clean, I wouldn't sweat it too much homeward. I have known people who were hired while in a chapter 13, for example. You could approach your HR Dept and tell them you had some credit issues in the past, but that you have cleaned up your act. They would probably appreciate the honesty. Your credit profile will actually look better with a past bk as opposed to a huge debt load with a bunch of collections, liens, and or judgements.
Message 2 of 5
homewardbound
Contributor

Thanks for the advice and I certainly hope you are right, Tiger Cat.  I am embarassed that I ever even allowed my debt to become so out of control just b/c I believed my boyfriend's business would prosper.  I worry all the time that someone will find out I filed and look down upon me for it.

The rest of my record is VERY CLEAN, so I can just be honest if asked and hope for the best.

Do you think that if they asked me to sign the consent form, the company will definitely check my credit?  Or do they want to have the consent on file just in case of an issue?
Message 3 of 5
TigerCat
Valued Member

Even though you might be embarrassed about your situation, everyone deserves a second chance in life. The key is to learn from your mistakes and move on. The past is the past. I filed a chapter 13 more than 2 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I just wish I had made it sooner. I was in denial about my finances for many years, which only made the situation worse.

As far as that consent form goes, they may or may not actually pull your credit reports. But I am thinking that the bk would show up regardless, because that is a public record that will appear in court documents. Most employers are looking for criminal activity such as fraud, etc. when they do background checks, so there is no need to panic.
Message 4 of 5
homewardbound
Contributor

Thanks again.  I feel exactly the same way you do.  I was in total denial because it is easier to ignore debt than to do something about it and I waited WAY too long to file.  When the BK was discharged, I got my life back.  Now I am on track again and it really is another chance for me to be successful and to live without constant harrassment and fear, really.  I'll never make the same mistake again.  And I just hope the hiring managers like me enough to want to hire me based on my marketing skills and not my personal issues.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.