Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appraisals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appraisals

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker and so thankful for all of the helpful advice on this forum.

We filed Chapter 7 in January and had our meeting of creditors in late February.  I thought everything was going fine but just got a message that they are sending appraisers out.  I'm just not sure what to expect.  We don't have a lot of stuff, some furniture but it's not great.  We have a lot of little stuff that nobody would probably want.

I was wondering if anyone has had to go through the appraisal and could give me any advice on what to expect, how long does it take, etc.

I thought everything was going well, but now I just feel sick.  Not that I'm afraid they will take anything, just the process.  I should have expected it but our attorney had told us they almost never do this.  Lucky us!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Appraisals

Call your attorney and ask them to give you some information about what they are looking for. Do you own the house? Maybe it's a house appraisal, not an appraisal of your stuff. Call your attorney, that's what you are paying them for. Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I have called my attorney and I'm awaiting a return call.  I just had a huge anxiety spike so I posted Smiley Happy  We live in Florida so our home is protected so I'm sure it's not a house appraisal.  It says it's an Estate Service that will come.  

Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!  I have called my attorney and I'm awaiting a return call.  I just had a huge anxiety spike so I posted Smiley Happy  We live in Florida so our home is protected so I'm sure it's not a house appraisal.  It says it's an Estate Service that will come.  

Did you file in the "middle district" of Florida?  I am in S Florida and when I filed it was well known that the middle district has some of the toughest trustee's in the country. You do need to speak frankly with your attorney if you did file there. Note, as Bk filers we have no choice, the district goes by your residence address.  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed we are the middle district in Florida!  It's ok as we really don't have a lot and they can have anything they want.  I'm just really surprised!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to both of the above comments about lawyers.  My lawyers kept blowing me off on everything, including debtors actively trying to get money (registered letters even a year into my ch13) by saying there was nothing he could do. I finally had to report him to my trustee, along with email chains between us.  Your lawyer got that nice fee to be on the hook.  It got to the point where the trustee removed him from my case and made him reimburse a good chunk of the fees.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.