Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attorney Experiences?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Attorney Experiences?

I filed 13 a year and a half ago through one of those bankruptcy mill firms. Because they had a lot of staff, i never had any issues with my questions being answered or with the time it took for filing. The chapter 13 was dismissed 6 months in because I became ill, hospitalized, and lost income. Since then, my car was repossessed (the only reason why I filed 13) and I moved to another state with a reduced income. I now qualify for 7 means test and signed up through a company that you make payments towards your filing fees over time and then they refer you to an attorney when the fees were paid in full. I want to say it was about $1700 over a course of a year (i made small montly payments because i was also in the process of starting completely over). 

Anyway, i completed payments in early March and my information was sent to a local attorney. I feel like she doesn't know what she's doing because i never seem to get real answers to my questions and also, i've been asking for a month now if she has received everything from me that she needs and i'm getting no real status as well.

I'm considering contacting the company (Upright Law) and letting them know i need a different attorney, but i also know that financial stress and anxiety about getting this process done and over with can cloud judgement. Just wanted to see if any of you experienced this with your attorney or an idea of how  you'd address the matter. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

Re: Attorney Experiences?

Do they offer refunds? I would have saved up the money to pay an attorney out right. They offer free consults, you could have interviewed a few. If you are stuck with this company, then yes, demand a new attorney. 

Also, Is the attorney completely paid for now? 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually began through a company Upright Law. You set up payment with them and then they set you up with a local attorney. The money was paid in full in the beginning of March. At that point, info was sent to attorney. 

I called Upright Law today and explained my experience. I had previously called them before because the attny took forever to call me initially. They put me on 3way and called the attny and then she initially followed up via email. Problem is, here we are a month and a half later... her responsiveness sucks. So when i explained my experience to UprightLaw today, the rep said "let me call your attny on 3 way to get this resolved' my response was no because why should i have to call them every time i need to get her to respond. Why did they refer her to me? What is my recourse at this point?

My options were 3way call, get referred to another area attny, or request refund. I am going to give her until Friday to respond to my questions before i request a refund and go elsewhere.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess my call to UprightLaw prompted the attorney to finally respond. She emailed me yesterday afternoon. Said i needed to provide credit reports, and paystubs for march. Hopefully she'll continue to move things forward...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.