Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto effect as cosigner?

tag
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Auto effect as cosigner?

Hello

I filed Chap 7 and I have a auto lease with my father.  I am the cosigner and I drive the vehicle.  If I wanted to add this to my bankruptcy how does this affect my father?  Does it show as a repo?  What happens?  

Thanks for any information.

Starting FICO8 June 2017: EQ: 514 - EX: 491 - TU: 521 Pre-BK7
Current
FICO8 March 2023: EQ: 703 - EX- 680 - TU: 671
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto effect as cosigner?

Your bankruptcy filing does not remove your father's obligation under the lease. If it is paid, then nothing really changes. If not paid, then the lender may come after your father for payments and/or the vehicle. 

What will you be doing with the vehicle? You should plan this out before payments become delinquent. 

Message 2 of 5
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

I’m keeping it.  I just wanted to understand what would’ve happened if I added it in. 

Current
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

You have to add it in regardless - there is a section of the Bk petition just for leases.  Your attorney can guide you in this.

Message 4 of 5
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  I reached out and she said they are working with the creditor now to get new papers to sign with them.  Hopefully that comes soon!

Current
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.