cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan post Chaptet 7 discharge...help!

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Auto loan post Chaptet 7 discharge...help!

@StartingOver10 wrote:

OP you have only been discharged 2 months and have already run up a bunch of debt (29% of your available credit lines).  Stop shopping. Stop charging. You need TIME to heal your credit and grow your limits. Don't jump into a huge car payment two months after discharge....it will defeat the entire purpose of the Bk process.

Best advice in the entire thread.

I can't say I followed it exactly, but I totally agree.  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 12
Tayconn11

Re: Auto loan post Chaptet 7 discharge...help!

Sorry to reply back so late guys. But to update you all, yes I did get initially approved with Prestige. However after I sent in all my required documents they called me back to ask about my house situation. I didn't reaffirm my mortgage in my Chapter 7 and I'm currently in a trial modification now. December makes my 2nd payment. January will be the third and last one. Well Prestige says that I am still responsible for the loan ( obviously they don't know what a Chapter 7 discharge means). They ultimately denied the loan. They told me to reapply when I receive my modification completion paperwork, which could be sometime in late January or early February I'm thinking. They also want me to send them copies of the agreement. I absolutely refuse to send my mortgage agreement to a car finance company. I've never heard of this type of practice, ever! The salesman from the original dealership called me back and said he is absolutely sure that I will get approved with a buddy of his dealership (he says they have a special relationship with capital one). I'm not trusting it and I really don't want my credit pulled again. I'm currently looking for a dependable car that I can buy outright for a reasonable amount. This car buying experience has been very trying but I'm optimistic about what's to come.
Btw, I paid all of my cards last weekend and now my utilization will be down. Closer to 15%, I believe. I'm currently gardening. No more apps until maybe later next year. I want a Barclays rewards mc at some point so I'm going to be on my best behavior for a while. My fico has dropped 7 pts with all the inquiries from car shopping.

Thanks everyone for all your great advice!
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.