Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Avoiding Bankruptcy

@Insoc wrote:

Filing BK was the best thing I ever did, I never thought I would say that but I had CC debt that was burying me, wife lost her job during the downturn, I had several jobs losses and lost of income and made more money 6 years ago than I'm making now.  I researched BK in 2007, Chapter 13 was my only option, I dreaded having to pay back funds 3 to 5 years after reading the horror stories some people had to deal, with, running out of money to live on so I passed. In retrospect I wish I filed back then, as what I lost in money paying my credit down, or should say attempting to pay down was massive.  

I investigated again in 2013 after having another job loss, and was hired in between so was planning a 13, then I lost my job again and filed a 7.  It's been 14 months since Discharge and I'm in the process of rebuilding, lived off of debit cards and cash only.  Learned to live without a lot of things and cut back, just the way it is.  I just got my first CC since discharge and I plan to be extremely careful with it.  

Everyone's situation is different, but all I can say is dont' delay filing because the interest rates on debt for many will never ever be able to be paid off unless your expenses are reduced and/or you come across a large sum of money.  

What got me was I had 20+ years of credit history, never late, paid on time just had way too much debt, UTL was too high.  I had a rough time getting many lenders to help me out with the APR.  I had one creditor laugh at me on the phone when I requested a APR reduction to help me out.  I heard her laughing with someone else on the line at me.  I was like, enough of this!

I appreciate the thoughts and advice. 

Luckily I had good enough credit that balance transfers really helped and with some good money management and a high enough income I'm positive I can overcome this. 

Phil Annony

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Hey phil! I am in the same boat as you just because in my case its family debt since I still live with my parents and we are all in it together, Our CC debt is running close to your plus $12,000 in auto loans (1 is at $4,500 an dplan to apy asap so that payment can go to CC debt) and a mortgage with high apr. 

You can do this your income is way more high than our household income and with your GF getting that other job(hopefully she does get it) that will increase her income by 50% should really helpout.

We also hardly have any money left at end of month but BK is somehting we have thought about and turn away from it everytime, having BK and bad credit is not on our book so we continue to strve in helping eachothers out and are paying debt.

We have cut back and our currently paying off small balances that way that monthly payment now goes to other CCs. If you have to.... shred your cards, thats what we did. Also have you thought of a balance transfer? Maybe apply for a card that offers balance transfers at 0% apr?

All in all your not alone these awesome people from forums give the greatest advice.

Hey thanks for the reply. 

I will not apply for any more cards, I have 15 of them currently. I also have a lot of recent inquiries as I was still struggling with my gambling, and applying for more cards to balance transfer current debt so I could advance more and gamble that away. Any further inquires, will hurt my score, plus at this point if approved my interest rate would be much higher then I am accustomed to. This is something I am considering when my overall debt gets lower and my current promotional rates expire. 

Message 32 of 40
Insoc
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Insoc wrote:

Filing BK was the best thing I ever did, I never thought I would say that but I had CC debt that was burying me, wife lost her job during the downturn, I had several jobs losses and lost of income and made more money 6 years ago than I'm making now.  I researched BK in 2007, Chapter 13 was my only option, I dreaded having to pay back funds 3 to 5 years after reading the horror stories some people had to deal, with, running out of money to live on so I passed. In retrospect I wish I filed back then, as what I lost in money paying my credit down, or should say attempting to pay down was massive.  

I investigated again in 2013 after having another job loss, and was hired in between so was planning a 13, then I lost my job again and filed a 7.  It's been 14 months since Discharge and I'm in the process of rebuilding, lived off of debit cards and cash only.  Learned to live without a lot of things and cut back, just the way it is.  I just got my first CC since discharge and I plan to be extremely careful with it.  

Everyone's situation is different, but all I can say is dont' delay filing because the interest rates on debt for many will never ever be able to be paid off unless your expenses are reduced and/or you come across a large sum of money.  

What got me was I had 20+ years of credit history, never late, paid on time just had way too much debt, UTL was too high.  I had a rough time getting many lenders to help me out with the APR.  I had one creditor laugh at me on the phone when I requested a APR reduction to help me out.  I heard her laughing with someone else on the line at me.  I was like, enough of this!

Luckily I had good enough credit that balance transfers really helped and with some good money management and a high enough income I'm positive I can overcome this. 

Phil Annony

Good luck, not to be blunt but I too thought the same way in 2007.  I then had a salary of $60K/year, which went up to $85K/year a year before filing in 2013, total debt was all credit card $35K roughly.  My expenses and APR just got too high, I was unable to pay off the debt fast, would have taken me 20+ years using some calculators and I would have paid an insane amount of interest and had no available credit or great scores since utilization was too high, with that you won't get better APR rates or offers.  

The extended job loss and wage decrease sealed my fate, but in reality I will have a better credit score and be debt free with better APR rates in due time and slowly will rebuild my credit, not looking to have the $50 to $75K in available credit I had on my CCs of past.  

If you are able to due strict budgeting and have good postiive cash flow, it's a lot easier but often easier said then done as unexpected expenses, home, car or medical can derail that train in no time. 

I was running out of money at the end of the month, everyones sitatution is different based on your total expenses.

Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Insoc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Insoc wrote:

Phil Annony

Good luck, not to be blunt but I too thought the same way in 2007.  I then had a salary of $60K/year, which went up to $85K/year a year before filing in 2013, total debt was all credit card $35K roughly.  My expenses and APR just got too high, I was unable to pay off the debt fast, would have taken me 20+ years using some calculators and I would have paid an insane amount of interest and had no available credit or great scores since utilization was too high, with that you won't get better APR rates or offers.  

The extended job loss and wage decrease sealed my fate, but in reality I will have a better credit score and be debt free with better APR rates in due time and slowly will rebuild my credit, not looking to have the $50 to $75K in available credit I had on my CCs of past.  

If you are able to due strict budgeting and have good postiive cash flow, it's a lot easier but often easier said then done as unexpected expenses, home, car or medical can derail that train in no time. 

I was running out of money at the end of the month, everyones sitatution is different based on your total expenses.

Luckily, I have yet to miss a payment, or been in a position where I could not make a payment. I understand unexpected bills come up as we go. I'm hoping I can make it through the middle of novemeber without another unexpected bill. By then I should have received my 2K check from my family, and my girlfriend should be at a steady income. Her first full check from the new job is not until 11/3. I just spent what little savings I had on a sick pet, who unfortunately still passed away.

There is no way to predict what will come in the future, but as of now I see no reason why I can't get out of this hole I'm in. If something does come up along the way, car, medical etc... I will only see it as a temporary road block. After the 2K and my minimums are applied for november I have 464$ a month going to my debt over the minimum payments. so if something does happen hopefully it will only postpone me a month or two.  

I have 78K in total credit plus the personal loan. My utilization is about 38% I think I can still come back from this.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic. Time will tell. 

Will keep updating!

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Still waiting on balance transfers to post to accounts. so no new payments made yet. However with over time I made an extra $275 more than expected over the last 2 weeks. I also had an unexpected gift given to me from a neighbor who was moving, a relatively new riding mower which I promptly sold for $1200 I guess all those times I mowed his lawn for him finally paid off. 

This money will go to paying off, the remaining balance on wells fargo card (awaiting balance transfer to post so I get the exact right amount) the rest will go towards paying off the chase freedom card. Once all the balance transfers have posted, and I have updated my spreadsheet I will update the numbers here. 

I am also considering selling some other things. Things that are nice to have but not necessary. I have some electronics just collecing dust. 

Update again soon. 

~Phil annony. 

Message 35 of 40
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

Still waiting on balance transfers to post to accounts. so no new payments made yet. However with over time I made an extra $275 more than expected over the last 2 weeks. I also had an unexpected gift given to me from a neighbor who was moving, a relatively new riding mower which I promptly sold for $1200 I guess all those times I mowed his lawn for him finally paid off. 

This money will go to paying off, the remaining balance on wells fargo card (awaiting balance transfer to post so I get the exact right amount) the rest will go towards paying off the chase freedom card. Once all the balance transfers have posted, and I have updated my spreadsheet I will update the numbers here. 

I am also considering selling some other things. Things that are nice to have but not necessary. I have some electronics just collecing dust. 

Update again soon. 

~Phil annony. 

Excellent start to your new plan! Remember also to replinish your savings regularly too. I think you are well on your way so solving your critical debt problem.

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

Update again soon. 

~Phil annony. 

Excellent start to your new plan! Remember also to replinish your savings regularly too. I think you are well on your way so solving your critical debt problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can do much in the savings department right now. Which leaves a large risk of having to swipe a credit card if there is an emergency need. I am aware of the risk, but don't know best how to avoid it. If I use money from selling some odds and ends, that would not regularly contribute to savings only be a temporary boost, I am currently maximizing my use of every dollar (or at least I like to think I am.) I know as others said some cuts can be made on cable TV, cell pone bills etc... but as previously stated I don't want to live in a cardboard box for the next 2 years to pay off my mistakes, if I pay a little more interest because it takes me a little longer then some others might have taken I'm okay with that being my punishment as oppsed to taking too much of my day to day luxuries away for the next two years.  

The other issue is a typical interest rate issue, I will get a better bang for my buck by paying off the credit cards and get a larger percentage return then on a typical savings account. 

I guess the best move going forward will have to be splitting some of the extra money in my paychecks between extra payments on CC's and savings. I work a job where you don't always know if youre going home on time, so I never expect this extra income. This is where the extra $275 in these 2 weeks came from. I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the reply

~Phil annony

Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update ... Kind of.... 

So as stated in my first post I recently started working a new full time job, same field as before just for a new company. The new company is more of a corporation than most in my field. This leads to many changes in the day to day operations, but its the same job overall. I have had nothing but good expieirences with these changes and the next one is on the horizon. So far since I started working here, the corporation that backs the company has spent multimillions into us, they bought out a smaller company and all their assests while keeping all their employeess and increasing their wages, they opened up a new division, sent people for weeks of paid training in another state to work in this new division. As of today the word on the next change is we will be getting 20% raises across the board. This will be the last across the board raise, and everything else will be merrit based from now on.  I am very lucky to have joined this company when I did. In my orginal posting I posted a salary of 76K but that is split between both jobs. my primary job at this new company my expected income is 56K This would be an 11K a year bump or about $425 a paycheck. This would mean once again a lot of positive changes to my plan. The raises are supposed to be in by the end of the year, but no specific date noted. This would be a great place to get some money from for savings. I will keep updating. 

Phil annony

Message 38 of 40
NYFan63
Established Contributor

20% raise? That's awesome! Good luck! Happy you are sticking to your plan.  

Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NYFan63 wrote:

20% raise? That's awesome! Good luck! Happy you are sticking to your plan.  

Yea I'm very excited, hopefully it all goes through soon! 

Balance transfer posted to my Freedom card but not to the other cards yet, will have updated numbers this weekend. Thanks for the support. 

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.