cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BANKRUPTCY OVER AFTER 10 YEARS

tag
lashonemd

BANKRUPTCY OVER AFTER 10 YEARS

I need to hear from all who have filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy and it has now been 10 years and it no longer shows on your credit report.  Did you see an increase in your credit score once this happen.  Most of my negative credit is bankruptcy.  I have 3 open accounts with low credit limits and it has been 3 years since the discharge and it want be completely removed until 2015.  My scores are in the 500's and wanted to know how do I improve them or is it just going to take time.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: BANKRUPTCY OVER AFTER 10 YEARS

paying accounts on time will also help you improve your score.  I filed in 2005 and now my scores are inching towards 650.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed last year CH7 and myscore is 622 now with experian and 589 with equifax and now I have a credit card it is going up slowly.  I also have been disputing things on my report and they are good about straitening things out for you.  Anyway it is harder to rebuild your credit after but it can be done.  My credit card cost me $200 in fees but it is helping.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear OP, see if you can go to your local bank and get a secured credit card.  If you put down a little - say 200.00 and let it report to the CRA's you should get points for utilization.  Utilization helps considerably on scores. 

Have you checked your reports to make sure all accounts that were included in BK are reporting correctly?

A lot of times CA's are reporting when they should not be.  For instance all accounts included in BK - should be listed as such and no CA should be reporting the same BK'd account without a BK notation.

Sometimes just going through your report and cleaning it up will help your score. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.