Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK DISCHARGED 7/17/2015 MUST BE DOING SUMTHN WRONG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK DISCHARGED 7/17/2015 MUST BE DOING SUMTHN WRONG

I FILED BK 4/2015 DISCHARGED 7/17/2015. SINCE THEN I HAVE GOTTEN AN AUTO LOAN 3 MONTHS LATER REFINANCED IT FOR BETTER. RATE 2 CAP 1 CARDS 3500 TOTAL CREDIT LIMIT, CREDIT CARD WITH LOCAL CREDIT UNION $500.00 & SECURED CREDIT CARD WITH NFCU $500.00. MY ISSUE IS SINCE I HAVE FILED I HAVE NOT BEEN LATE ON ANY OF MY CREDIT AT ALL. BUT EX IS STATING I HAVE15 LATE PAYMENTS 1 IN COLLECTIONS 4 MONTHS SINCE LAST LATE PAYMENT. TU 10 LATE 2 ACCOUNTS IN COLLECTION 7 MONTHS SINCE LAST LATE PAYMENT & EQ 21 LATE 1 COLLECTIONS 2 MONTHS SINCE LAST LATE PAYMENT. I HAVE TRIED TO CLEAN MY REPORT OVER 5 TIMES. I DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE. CAUSE IM SURE IF THOSE LATE PAYMENTS GOT OFF AND THOSE COLLECTIONS THEN MY SCORES WOULD RISE. I THOUGHT BY FILING BK, IT WOULD OF GOTTEN RID OF ANY COLLECTION ACCOUNTS.

ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: BK DISCHARGED 7/17/2015 MUST BE DOING SUMTHN WRONG

All caps makes it very hard to read fyi.

Where are you getting your scores/reports from?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. I didn't realize it was all caps until I was done. I'm getting them from credit check total. My ex dropped 30 points the other day. TU raised and Eq stayed the same
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What exactly ARE your scores?

Also wondering what your utilization looks like on your new cards. A statement cutting while a credit card has a high balance could likely be the culprit for your recent drop.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ex 587 TU 596 Eq 586 if my UTI is high, you're saying it would drop 30 points?
Message 5 of 22
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Is your utilization high? If so, then that is probably the answer. Especially if one of your cards reported at over 90% of the credit limit as used.

Easy fix though, pay the cards down.

Think about it. Someone freshly out of bankruptcy gets some credit cards and quickly runs the balances up? It feels like potential trouble and bad habits setting back in. Not saying this is you, just saying this is how it is looked at.

Use your credit pretty much on a cash basis for now. Use it, but then pay it.

Dan
Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it's at 60% so that does make sense. Ok. Thanks once it's reporting 0% will my points jump back up?
Message 7 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah it's at 60% so that does make sense. Ok. Thanks once it's reporting 0% will my points jump back up?

Here is how most credit scoring models rate CC account utilization:

CC Utilization:
0-9% Excellent
10-29% Good
30-49% Fair
50-74% Poor
75%+ Very Poor

- I've gone over 50% util twice this year, both due to 0% balance transfers, and it dropped my score around 20 points each time. As soon as I got it down to under 29% my scores immediately rebounded. Obviously under 9% is ideal, but with so many 0% offers temptation sometimes wins out....

Also, with the collections & late payments showing on your credit report: The rule is if an account had late payments or was in collections BEFORE filing BK they can continue to report that, but it must also report Account Closed, $0 balance, Included in BK. My attorney made me wait 90 days to file as I had cash advances (which can be disallowed to be included in BK) but told me to not pay anyone, so I had a bunch of late payments reporting. But I got TU & EQ to remove them by disputing them, saying "reproting a payment as late is an attempt to collect a debt under protection of a federal BK court". TU & EX removed them all, but EX wouldn't budge and still reports late payments and even a charge-off during BK. But 5 years later my EX score is within a point or two of TU & EQ. So if you can't get them removed their impact on your score will fade over time with the reporting of on-time payments & responsible use of credit post BK.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores do in fact jump around within about a 25 point range depending on my utilization. I'm not financing anything for a while, so it doesn't concern me too much. When the time comes that I know a credit pull is coming up, I'll pay my cards to $0 except for one of them that I'll let a balance of less than 10% of that card's credit limit report. (That's how to maximize this part of your score.)

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also thinking your auto loan and refinance potenitally hit you with a lot of inquiries . . . if that's the case, you'll be looking at your scores going up as those start to fall off.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.