Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK Discharged yesterday...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK Discharged yesterday...

Checked with my leinholder and basically my car loan is showing paid through bankruptcy so any payments I make at this time are voluntary and will not show up on my CRs.  If I surrender my car there will be no negative ramifications on my CRs.

I went to one Ford dealer and they were like oh no don't surrender your car it will show up as a repo and you might as well keep your car and be stuck with your payments.  I was extremely upset Smiley Madso the next day I called my leinholder to figure out what my options were.  Customer service was outstanding, all my questions were answered quickly and completely.  As mentioned about there will be no financial or CR hit if I surrender my car. Smiley LOL

So I reached out to a car salesman who had made it clear that once my bk was discharged he would do battle on my behalf to get me into a new car.   And I checked on Yelp and his customers had nothing but praise for him.  One customer described how he was being ripped off by another dealer and how this salesman went with him to that dealer and got his downpayment back that day. 

So I have got the process started and I sent him a copy of my most recent pay stub and note explaining why I declared bk.  So I am crossing my fingers and hoping for lower payments and higher gas mileage.  I'm shooting for a 2016 VW Golf TSI S model 2 door or 4 door with an automatic, this car is around $20-21,000 and VW is running some great deals. 

Another CR fico score jumped another 30 points today so now I have two scores in the 560 range and one score still at 480.  Wow, just got an alert from myfico and all my score are in the 500 range.  My Transunion score just jumped 52 points to 533.  So exciting.Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to a local VW dealer and initially they were oh we can get you into a 2016 Jetta S 1.4 with technology with $365 and 10% interest.  But oh my nobody wants to finance you so we have this 2012 Kia Optima with 99,990 miles worth 13,000 for 8750 with 1,500 down, Santander will finance you.  

I commute ~52 miles a day, a car with 99,990 miles even with a clean car fax report has to many miles.  I am not sure if I could go more than a month or two without something breaking.

I wonder at this point if I should respond to some of the mailings I have gotten about car dealers can finance recent BK's.    I just need a small reliable car with good to great gas milage and low car payments.  Maybe I should consider a Chevy Spark for now.

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your credit report is all cleaned up? I'm sure you can get a new vehicle. Perhaps rent a vehicle, and research for a few months, and obtain the best deal. Are you a member of NFCU? They are very BK friendly.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been working on cleaning up my CRs.  My scores have jumped about 30-50 points in the last couple of days.  Maybe I should try to get a fingerhut card and see if that will help pump up my score so more.

I am not sure if I could rent a car.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to another dealer to check on a used Kia Soul, they ran my credit report and came back with a 449 score so I have a lot of work to do to rebuild from there.   I am still working on cleaning up my CRs.  Experian seems to be the biggest pain as far as trying to clean things up.

That VW dealer was a nightmare, never felt so intimidated and double tagged team in my life over a car.   They were trying so hard to push me into the Kia Optima, I am wondering what the hell.  The salesguy called me the following day asking if I had changed my mind and what was my dad thinking. 

I think I just need to take deep breath, work on upping my scores a bit more, save or use a portion of my disability settlement when I get it as a downpayment.

I think I am going to try and get a Fingerhut account and switch to NFCU, they seem to be more BK friendly than Logix.  I feel a bit disheartened right now.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update and a few thoughts.

First off I got financed for a new car on Nov. 29th, 2015.  YES!!!!Smiley LOL  Honda financed me for a 2015 Honda Civic Coupe LX cvt, I went to my local Honda dealer after a salesman reached out to me.  This car had been on the lot for more then 45 days so they wanted to get rid of it.  I got a good deal, for someone with my CS, plus gap insurance and Honda Sentinel Warranty on the car.  I am so happy, now my credit will only go up after this.  My payments are slightly above my Kia Soul but BUT I will be able to refinance through my CU in a year of on time payments.  Whereas with my Soul I was $3,000 underwater, no way was I going to be able to refinance.

This was after going to VW, Ford, and Kia, they either wanted to not finance me or charge me super high interest on a used car or a used car with super high mileage.Smiley Mad

It was frustrating and at times discouraging but for anyone in a similiar situation, just keep trying.  Especially since I was never late with my previous car loans.

I reached out to my leinholder about taking back my Soul and they told don't worry, a local company will call me in 24 hours but it is been 4 days and still haven't heard anything.  I guess I will need to follow up with my leinholder about this situation.

I think I finally got all my CRs cleaned up and now I need to wait till I get a few payments under my belt and then start applying for some CC's to further rebuild my credit.

Message 16 of 29
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update and a few thoughts.

First off I got financed for a new car on Nov. 29th, 2015.  YES!!!!Smiley LOL  Honda financed me for a 2015 Honda Civic Coupe LX cvt, I went to my local dealer after a salesman reached out to me.  This car had been on the lot for more then 45 days so they wanted to get rid of it.  I got a good deal, for someone with my CS, plus gap insurance and Honda Sentinel Warranty on the car.  I am so happy, now my credit will only go up after this.  My payments are slightly above my Kia Soul but BUT I will be able to refinance through my CU in a year of on time payments.  Whereas with my Soul I was $3,000 underwater, no way was I going to be able to refinance.

This was after going to VW, Ford, and Kia, not one of them wanted to either finance me or charge me super high interest or a car with super high mileage.Smiley Mad

It was frustrating and at times discouraging but for anyone in a similiar situation, just keep trying.

I reached out to my leinholder about taking back my Soul and they told don't worry, a local company will call me in 24 hours but it is been 4 days and still haven't heard anything.  I guess I will need to follow up with my leinholder about this situation.

I think I finally got all my CRs cleaned up and now I need to wait till I get a few payments under my belt and then start applying for some CC's to further rebuild my credit.

Typically when you default on a loan, the lienholder is more than happy to take your soul!   Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have to put a down payment for New Honda?

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the deal I got with my Honda Civic:

MSRP  $19,910

Discounted to $17,000

Total with taxes and fees:  $20,056.95  (includes Gap Insurance and Honda Sentinel Warranty)

Money down:  $1,000 + $500 (Military Cash Back)

Total Financed:  $18,556.95

All I have to pay for is car payments, gas and tire rotations for the next 6 years for now with Honda Finance.

I figure with 6 months to 1 year of on time payments I should be able to refinance my car and get lower APR and payments.  I am so glad for this chance to restart my credit rebuild with a new car.

I was willing to take  a hit on my interest rate as long as I could at least get a good deal and be able to refinance at a later date.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your APR?
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.