Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK account reporting/disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BK account reporting/disputes

DH has a BK from 2003. We've been steadily rebuilding his credit. A couple of the creditors are reporting erroneously; one in particular.

Providian was showing an account as "charged off" that was actually included in his BK. When I disputed through the CB, they updated and NOW the account shows as a Collection/90 days late. This collection is reported as of this month, which has caused his score to plummet.

I thought that an account in BK could only report the account as IIBK/derogatory. This account has actually gotten WORSE with my dispute because it now shows as a brand new collection account on his report.

Meanwhile, I managed to get collection accounts off his report (3) because they weren't his to begin with. ALL these events (removing 3 and providian screwing him up) posted on the same day, so the net effect of getting 3 collections OFF his report was a 4 point drop in his score because of Providian.

Now, here's my concern/question:

1.  Will this providian nightmare (which now looks like a brand-new collection) correct itself next month?

2.  Will the providian blemish re-date itself so that now, instead of being derog from 2003, it is a derog from this month? If so, pass the razor blades, please.

3.  Is this not a case of providian reporting wrong? I thought all they could say was IIBK. Am I wrong?

4.  NOW what do I do? lol

Any input is appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK account reporting/disputes

Cheech wrote:
DH has a BK from 2003. We've been steadily rebuilding his credit. A couple of the creditors are reporting erroneously; one in particular.

Providian was showing an account as "charged off" that was actually included in his BK. When I disputed through the CB, they updated and NOW the account shows as a Collection/90 days late. This collection is reported as of this month, which has caused his score to plummet.

I thought that an account in BK could only report the account as IIBK/derogatory. This account has actually gotten WORSE with my dispute because it now shows as a brand new collection account on his report.

Meanwhile, I managed to get collection accounts off his report (3) because they weren't his to begin with. ALL these events (removing 3 and providian screwing him up) posted on the same day, so the net effect of getting 3 collections OFF his report was a 4 point drop in his score because of Providian.

Now, here's my concern/question:

1.  Will this providian nightmare (which now looks like a brand-new collection) correct itself next month?

2.  Will the providian blemish re-date itself so that now, instead of being derog from 2003, it is a derog from this month? If so, pass the razor blades, please.

3.  Is this not a case of providian reporting wrong? I thought all they could say was IIBK. Am I wrong?

4.  NOW what do I do? lol

Any input is appreciated!

bump
Message 2 of 6
granny031350
Established Contributor

Contact WaMu about this and try to get it fixed from their end.  If not, then file a complaint with the FTC and the BBB.  So far, that has worked for me in getting companies to clean up their inaccurate reporting. 
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

granny031350 wrote:
Contact WaMu about this and try to get it fixed from their end.  If not, then file a complaint with the FTC and the BBB.  So far, that has worked for me in getting companies to clean up their inaccurate reporting. 

First, thank you for your reply.  Second, thank you AGAIN because I completely forgot that WAMU bought out Providian. Hubby has a WAMU card. (I know everyone says you get blackballed by them, but somehow they gave him a $5K CL in April). Perhaps we can approach it from that angle.

Do you know if they bought out ALL of Providian? I'm relatively sure that his BK occured before WAMU bought Providian. Did Prov. keep it's old, crappy (heh) accounts, or did WAMU get the whole ball of wax?

Meanwhile, if I understand your post, you do agree with me that they are reporting this incorrectly, right? That's one thing I want to verify. Don't want to go off half-cocked and make things worse.
Message 4 of 6
granny031350
Established Contributor

if the account was not charged off prior to his filing then it is reporting incorrectly.  If the account was charged off and THEN he filed BK, then they have to right to report it as "charged off" IIB
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

granny031350 wrote:
if the account was not charged off prior to his filing then it is reporting incorrectly.  If the account was charged off and THEN he filed BK, then they have to right to report it as "charged off" IIB

I will double check with him. Thanks so much for the information. The most frustrating part of all of this is that he was only an AU on this account. In fact, his ex had two Providian accounts and he was an AU on both. He didn't even KNOW about one of the accounts---she just added him and he never even had a card.

Still, I've got his scores closing in on 700 now, after much hard work on both our parts.  In fact, his TC scores are so close that I'd just about bet that his FICO scores are over 700. Seems like when you're in the upper 600s on TC, you're actually 15-30 pts. higher on FICO. At least, that's the case for me and for other posters here.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.