Did you mean: 

BK and Judgements..

tag
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

BK and Judgements..

Hi,

A short question:

Is it true that there is a legal and "correct" way to have all of your Judgements that were included in your bankruptcy ENTIRELY removed from your credit-report? I'm not just talking about the little "IIB"-comment - I mean completely removed. I think it's called "getting a judgement vacated"..as if it never happened.

I'm asking because I'm in a situation right now where I COULD file but certainly NEEDN'T because I have no assets/income. I currently have one judgement against me but it is likely that a few will follow before some accounts reach the SOL. My collection-accounts and installments/CCs which are derogatory will fall off based on the DOFD anyway, but judgments could be ADDED to my file prior to the SOL of these debts - and then I will be looking at them for an additional 7 1/2 years from then on.

Now IF a BK (Chapter 7) can get rid of Judgements, it would leave all options open to me because I wouldn't have to care how many Judgemts are actually filed against me.

If NOT, I might be forced to do something earlier because I certainly don't want a BK-remark on my file for 10 years ALONG a bunch of Judgents (although IIB) for almost 7 of these years.

If I'm forced to file BK one day, I would like to have a "clean" file - besides the BK-remark on the personal records.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

Re: BK and Judgements..

@ScoreBooster wrote:

Hi,

A short question:

Is it true that there is a legal and "correct" way to have all of your Judgements that were included in your bankruptcy ENTIRELY removed from your credit-report? I'm not just talking about the little "IIB"-comment - I mean completely removed. I think it's called "getting a judgement vacated"..as if it never happened.

I'm asking because I'm in a situation right now where I COULD file but certainly NEEDN'T because I have no assets/income. I currently have one judgement against me but it is likely that a few will follow before some accounts reach the SOL. My collection-accounts and installments/CCs which are derogatory will fall off based on the DOFD anyway, but judgments could be ADDED to my file prior to the SOL of these debts - and then I will be looking at them for an additional 7 1/2 years from then on.

Now IF a BK (Chapter 7) can get rid of Judgements, it would leave all options open to me because I wouldn't have to care how many Judgemts are actually filed against me.

If NOT, I might be forced to do something earlier because I certainly don't want a BK-remark on my file for 10 years ALONG a bunch of Judgents (although IIB) for almost 7 of these years.

If I'm forced to file BK one day, I would like to have a "clean" file - besides the BK-remark on the personal records.

To get a judgment vacated, you generally need to appear before the same court that rendered the judgment.  There are various reasons why a judgment should be legally vacated, but simply because the judgment was included in bankruptcy is usually not one of the reasons.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.