Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK7 case still open

tag
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

BK7 case still open

I filed on 3-31-15 and was discharged on 7-07-15. My case still shows open on pacer. My home was included in the bk and was sold to an investor by the trustee after my discharge. I owed $125k and she sold the house for $8,900. Yes just $8900!!! Not sure why it's 10 months later and the case is still open. Can anyone chime in on this?
Credit conscience!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: BK7 case still open

@michaels88369 wrote:
I filed on 3-31-15 and was discharged on 7-07-15. My case still shows open on pacer. My home was included in the bk and was sold to an investor by the trustee after my discharge. I owed $125k and she sold the house for $8,900. Yes just $8900!!! Not sure why it's 10 months later and the case is still open. Can anyone chime in on this?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I suspect your case won't be closed until the home sale is completed.  

Since you still owed $125k on it the trustee could not have sold the home and delivered clear title unless the bank holding the mortgage was willing to accept the $8900 which is highly unlikely.

It is more likely that the trustee collected the $8900 for your Bk estate and sold the right to the buyer to negotiate a short sale with your lender. It would explain the 10 months delay (so far).  When real estate has a mortgage lien on it the lien has to be paid off for the seller to deliver clear title without encumberances or the mortgage co has to agree to accept a lower payoff.  These things are a gamble in that the lender/servicer is under no obligation to accept a short sale offer - they can just foreclose and then the buyer is out of luck and has lost their $8900.  But if it pans out, the buyer wins. 

Since you have your discharge in hand (as of 7-7-15) you should be on your way to rebuilding. This back office stuff doesn't stop you from moving ahead. 

As always, check with your bk attorney.

Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: BK7 case still open

I agree 100% with the response from startingover as I have witnessed that exact scenario ... an investor [my cousin] buying a foreclosed property at aution and then the lender getting it back from him by court order. My cousin lost 50% of his "investment" cash in that wacky transaction. Something is oreventing the deed to be cleared but I don't think that should cause the bk case/discharge from being completed. A good question for the bk attorney who hadled the case. I'm curious as to the outcome.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.