Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankrupcy Chapter 7 question

tag
william23
Regular Contributor

Bankrupcy Chapter 7 question

Guys my girlfriend will be filing for Chapter 7 however she currently works for Citibank and unfortunately she has a card with them and also a line of credit through the local branch.

My question is including those items in the bk would that be something that would jeopardize her employment with the bank??? Can she get fired??

Thanks everybody for helping out.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Bankrupcy Chapter 7 question

@william23 wrote:

Guys my girlfriend will be filing for Chapter 7 however she currently works for Citibank and unfortunately she has a card with them and also a line of credit through the local branch.

My question is including those items in the bk would that be something that would jeopardize her employment with the bank??? Can she get fired??

It depends on the policy of the bank.

Many employers including myself run Credit Checks for employment and continuous employment especially financial institutions and companies that deal with large amounts of cash. Certain criteria may be cause for dismissal and certain criteria may be cause for not being hired. 

IMO it would be best to speak to some one with hiring and or firing authority (or Human Resources) at her Branch and discuss it with them. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a tough one because I'm betting that, being a bank, part of their application process asks potential employees if they've ever filed for BK.  In other words, it may matter to them.  It may be a little hard to discuss it with local HR folks because you're letting the cat out of the bag, but Citibank willl definitely find out once she files.

I hope someone with experience can chime in on this one.  And I hope they have good news to share with you.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@william23 wrote:

First of all, checking with HR is the wrong move.

Now, in response to your question ... the answer is yes ... and no.

The Bankruptcy Code specifically prohibits retaliatory actions based on debts owed that are included in bankruptcy.  However, termination is possible where the action is not designed as being retaliatory or meant to enforce the debt.  For example, if her position is one that requires keen financial ability or involves managing assets, likely she can be terminated.

Some banks make it a general habit to terminate any employee who files for bankruptcy -- especially when the employer is one of the creditors included in the bankruptcy.  I would recommend she find a way to reaffirm the debt to her employer.  Even if she cannot be terminated specifically for filing bankruptcy, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  A word to the wise. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And, as a matter of prudence, she may want to get her resume in shape and check out other employment opportunities before she files. 

Some say it's a good idea to hope for the best and plan for the worst.  But in any case, it's always wise to cover all your bases.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And, as a matter of prudence, she may want to get her resume in shape and check out other employment opportunities before she files. 

Some say it's a good idea to hope for the best and plan for the worst.  But in any case, it's always wise to cover all your bases.

+1

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.