Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy 13 lesson

tag
Tann3101
Valued Member

Re: Bankruptcy 13 lesson

I don't know what stathe your in but if your attorney is not answering and addressing your questions I would contact the trustees office and tell one of the folks in the office what your attorney is doing.  If your plan calls for your attorney's fees to paid into it you can swap attorneys and not cost you no more moneY I would ask my trustees office about doing this.

5/18/10 Starting Score 510/ Current Score 510/ Goal 650 12 Months
5/7/12 633 TU 634 Equi 636 Experian
3/7/14 650 TU 636 Equi N/A Experian
Message 11 of 15
Mytwins00

I don't know what you mean by paying 100% back.. I think you mean on the national data center, they have me paying 100% for car, IRS! lawyer! and everything else is getting 3%... Does that sound right??? We pay 430 a month... Thanks so much, I might have more questions, glad there's a place to come for good info

Message 12 of 15
apeydee

Can you elborate more on saving your mom's credit from a sears card thats in her name only???

I am trying to see where that connects her to you, if that the was the only thing holding you back from filing a 7 then I would have filed the 7 and then used the extra money on the debts that were included and pay off whatever I owed on that.

I think you need a new attorney but maybe I am missing something.

Message 13 of 15
Mytwins00

Ok my mom took a credit card out for us to use for a refrigerator and she named my husband as an authorized user and it shows on both her credit report as well as my husband. .but she was the only one reponsible but our atty said he (my husband) was a co debter but hes not...and my mom is getting harrassed by sears to pay debt..also I was 2 months behind on car payment..but I feel I should be a 7..I got bad advice from our atty..
Message 14 of 15
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@Mytwins00 wrote:

I don't have anything but my car

I didn't either.

My car was the ONLY reason I filed Ch 13 after losing my job in the great recession.  I had around $15k in unsecured debt and my payment to the trustee was $150 a month... I paid my car payment ($225) outside of the bankruptcy.  I paid back roughly half of my unsecured debt over the course of my Ch 13.

I filed in April 2009 and in February 2013 (3 years 10 months after filing) my balance was about $1800.  I paid it in full and got my discharge 3 months later... in May 2013. My reward for completing the plan is a credit profile of over $20k in new credit cards as well as a car loan... all in less than a year.  Try that with a Ch 7.  Also, my 13 will drop off my report in 2016... 7 years after filing.  A Ch 7 stays on your report for 10 years.

I plan on refinancing my car loan in the next couple months.  My credit union has already told me they will cut my interest rate in half.  Other than the car refi my credit profile is complete... I am sitting back waiting on my scores to rise.  In 2 years when I have a report clear of bankruptcy and inquiries I am probably going to buy a place.

If you have the means stick with the Ch 13... rebuilding will be easier.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.