Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy AND Foreclosure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy AND Foreclosure

Hi-

My husband and I are divorcing... we filed chapter 7 about a year ago and were discharged in January. 

Now that we are divorcing, neither of us can afford the mortgage on our own, and I can't afford to pay my part of the mortgage and rent a place.

Does anyone have any info on how a foreclosure will effect my credit when I have already filed a BK?  Obviously I would rather sell the house, but I don't think that will come about amicably.

My divorce lawyer says I will be screwed FOREVER but I know BK's last for about 7-10 years and so do Foreclosures, and that after 2 years you can usually start to get back on your feet...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy AND Foreclosure

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi-

My husband and I are divorcing... we filed chapter 7 about a year ago and were discharged in January. 

Now that we are divorcing, neither of us can afford the mortgage on our own, and I can't afford to pay my part of the mortgage and rent a place.

Does anyone have any info on how a foreclosure will effect my credit when I have already filed a BK?  Obviously I would rather sell the house, but I don't think that will come about amicably.

My divorce lawyer says I will be screwed FOREVER but I know BK's last for about 7-10 years and so do Foreclosures, and that after 2 years you can usually start to get back on your feet...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The Chapter 7 BK is done and will stay with you for the next 10 years. You can work on improving your credit and will get stronger as time goes on.

Adding a foreclosure will have another negative impact on your credit. You can usually start applying for a home mortgage after a few years has lapsed from foreclosure. But keep in mind a few years later with the BK reporting your scores may not qualify you. Some places will check your credit to rent also and this may have an impact on you being able to rent and your utilities which will charge you higher deposits in most cases. Have you thought about the possibility of still living in the home? Can you live as room mates until the home is sold or at least try it out?

I know that it is something that isn't easy to do when getting divorced and things are not going amicably, but hopefully you both can sit down rationally and realize that it is actually probably best for both of you until the home is sold. If you both can not come to agreements then it will probably end up being a foreclosure or a short sale, and then you will have to work on rebuilding. Rebuilding can be a pain but will be rewarding as things improve and you want to get back on your feet again.

You are always welcome to come back here and ask for advice and any help and opinions as you need. 

Hope things work out.....

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I acutally just found out that we may not have reaffirmed our mortgage when we filed the BK... so if that is true I don't need to worry about the foreclosure... I am hoping this is the case.

The problem isn't living together... the problem is that we have to live separatly for 1 year before we can file for a divorce... so if it takes forever to sell the house, plus add a year of separation, it could take forever to divorce. And no I don't know if I could live with him that long, especially when he doesn't want to sell.

Message 3 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I acutally just found out that we may not have reaffirmed our mortgage when we filed the BK... so if that is true I don't need to worry about the foreclosure... I am hoping this is the case.

The problem isn't living together... the problem is that we have to live separatly for 1 year before we can file for a divorce... so if it takes forever to sell the house, plus add a year of separation, it could take forever to divorce. And no I don't know if I could live with him that long, especially when he doesn't want to sell.

When you are ready to start rebuilding we are all here to help and assist. Hope things do not go to badly through the divorce. 

Good Luck
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!! I am waiting to hear from my BK lawyer about whether we reaffirmed...

I don't remember signing anything and DH says we reaffirmed, I don't know.

Message 5 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!! I am waiting to hear from my BK lawyer about whether we reaffirmed...

I don't remember signing anything and DH says we reaffirmed, I don't know.

You can look over your BK papers it will tell you. 

Just thinking about you saying he doesn't want to sell. If he doesn't want to sell then have him refinance the home in his name only or with some one else as long as it is out of your name. Of course this would be irrelevant if your mortgage wasn't reaffirmed. Whether or not he can afford the payments on his own should not be your concern. Your concern I would believe is since you are getting divorced you want to end all ties. Also check all credit cards and other loans that may be in both names, if they are joint accounts you need to close the accounts and if you or your DH are authorized users of the accounts you need to remove yourselves also.

Good Luck
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't know that they will let him re-fi the house into his own name. I don't think he will qualify.

We already split the bank accounts, and never had any joint credit cards, just were authorized users on each others, which has been canceled.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.