Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy FAQs

Great resource! Thank you so much for putting this together! As one who went through a ch7 four years ago, I agree with a lot of the information presented in the FAQs.

One thing I did notice that I believe may be inaccurate is "You have to be a US citizen to file."  That is not true.  I was a permanent resident when I filed (now a citizen as of March 2013 woo hoo!) and had no issues concerning that.  Now I don't know if you have to at least be a permanent resident but I do know you didn't have to be a US citizen when I filed.  Maybe it has changed since 2010?

Current scores: myFICO: 670/TU(Wal): 664/TU(Dis): 659 (Goal: 700)
Last app: 1/3/2014; (Prayerfully!) gardening until: 7/3/2014

~I'm living for an audience of One!
Established Member

I just checked ndc.org and it says under my chapter 13    Case Status:  Completed SD....and Date closed 2/12/14....Can someone tell me what SD stands for?  also, I have over 3,000.00  balance on hand...will this money get refunded to me  since case is closed or get sent to creditors?   Appreciate any info...

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
New Visitor

Thank you all for this great information. Now a days nearly all consumer bankruptcy attorneys offer free consultations . We can take good benefits of this  and can also get advice based on all of the details of  particular case.

New Visitor

My wife and I will be filing Bk soon. What is a good strategy to rebuild our credit?

Established Member

Here it is over a year later and of the thousands of people on my fico, I did not get one response...to my question.....For anyone who cares, I never did find out what SD stood for. lol ..We completed 6 1/2 years of a chapter 13, and paid back almost 160,000.00. I don't know how we did it, and it was the hardest time we have ever been through,  But in that year and a half, my husbands score is 720 and mine hovers in the low 700's.  we have 2 new vehicles which was desperately needed,  a gas card and a visa card..I still pay cash or use my debit card the majority of the time...it's a habit you get into while doing a bankruptzy....A huge burden was lifted off our shoulders when we were finally through with the chapter 13...I wish everyone the very best through this process known as Bankruptzy....also the 3,000.00 that was left over after the case was closed was split between the creditors we had.

Never Look Down on Anyone Unless You are Helping Them Up
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

wvgirl_sunshine wrote:

Here it is over a year later and of the thousands of people on my fico, I did not get one response...to my question.....For anyone who cares, I never did find out what SD stood for. lol ..We completed 6 1/2 years of a chapter 13, and paid back almost 160,000.00. I don't know how we did it, and it was the hardest time we have ever been through,  But in that year and a half, my husbands score is 720 and mine hovers in the low 700's.  we have 2 new vehicles which was desperately needed,  a gas card and a visa card..I still pay cash or use my debit card the majority of the time...it's a habit you get into while doing a bankruptzy....A huge burden was lifted off our shoulders when we were finally through with the chapter 13...I wish everyone the very best through this process known as Bankruptzy....also the 3,000.00 that was left over after the case was closed was split between the creditors we had.

Congrats on getting through it and sticking to the plan Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
725 EQ FICO 08/2015
730 TU FICO 08/2015
729 EX FICO 08/2015
$14k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $9k Barclay Arrival WEMC | $5.4k Cap1 Quicksilver | $6k Amazon Store | $11k Cap1 VentureOne | $5k Barclay US Airways | $500 Chase Freedom
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.