Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy Fraud

I have a really crazy situation and I have no idea what to do. 

I'm 24 years old.  When I was 20, I made the mistake of allowing my mother to put real estate in my name.  Since then one property has foreclosed (In the beginning of 2008) and another has been very behind.  I have not been in a place to financially clean up this mess, as I have been in school and working full time.  On top of that, we bought these houses when the market was inflated.  Well, the second property was about to foreclose, and my mother chose to file a bankruptcy in my name in order to save the house.  I only found out about this when I pulled my credit and she then explained why the bankruptcy was reporting and why she did it.  For whatever reason, she did not feel a reason to consult me about this HUGE decision.  I would have rather taken the foreclosure hit, because from what I know, it is not as bad as the foreclosure...and at least it doesn't last 10 years...

I have tried disputing the information, but it is being validated by the courts.  All of my credit cards have been closed, because my creditors think that I am not intending to pay them. 

I don't want my mom to go to jail or anything...but I also don't want my financial future to be in ruins. I'm at a poitn in my life where I need to start using my own name...and I pretty much can't.  I know that I am technically a victim of identity theft and everywhere I have looked on how to solve this issue starts with filing a police report...I don't know how to even begin getting my name back without incriminating my mother.

Help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bankruptcy Fraud

How could you not possibly know that a BK is being filed in your name? While I never filed BK, I can't imagine you not being notified via the tons of paperwork that has to be signed and filed. You also, from my understanding, must attend sessions with your trustee. This isn't something you can forge and have it go unnoticed.

If you disputed the BK and it's being validated by the courts, then you need to go back to the court and see what the BK says. I'd start by dumping that house if the court will let you or if not, talk to a BK attorney to undo what has been done then dump it. Get your own place and tell your mom to get her own.

Call the police too. It's more than ID theft at this point. What's stopping her from doing that again? She's being selfish and a thief too. Are you sure she didn't open up accounts in your name by pretending to be you? I'd look at all of your accounts a little more closely. If she lied (other than using your name) on the BK docs, and if something else is wrong and the courts find out, you could be the one in jail for contempt. Forgive her. Let her dealt with her punishment. Start anew.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Fraud

@llecs wrote:

How could you not possibly know that a BK is being filed in your name? While I never filed BK, I can't imagine you not being notified via the tons of paperwork that has to be signed and filed. You also, from my understanding, must attend sessions with your trustee. This isn't something you can forge and have it go unnoticed.

If you disputed the BK and it's being validated by the courts, then you need to go back to the court and see what the BK says. I'd start by dumping that house if the court will let you or if not, talk to a BK attorney to undo what has been done then dump it. Get your own place and tell your mom to get her own.

Call the police too. It's more than ID theft at this point. What's stopping her from doing that again? She's being selfish and a thief too. Are you sure she didn't open up accounts in your name by pretending to be you? I'd look at all of your accounts a little more closely. If she lied (other than using your name) on the BK docs, and if something else is wrong and the courts find out, you could be the one in jail for contempt. Forgive her. Let her dealt with her punishment. Start anew.

Much, much more.  Try the following felonies: fraud, perjury, filing a false instrument, mail fraud, et al.  These are the kinds of things that many people are now wearing orange jumpsuits over. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.