Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea that is weird. I just applied and they denied me for the unsecure but then asked if I wanted the secure. You didn't burn them in BK right?

Nope! I did not burn any credit cards in BK, just medical debt.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 21 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@CrashDouble wrote:

I don't post much, but I enjoy reading threads like this one.  After BK a lot of people don't know where to turn for rebuilding and threads like this really helped me with which cards/companies to stay away from.  My rebuild purpose was to get a home loan, now that I have that I'm just shooting for 700 scores like everyone else.

Here's my post-BK story with Discover and Chase:

Last year, January 2014, I applied for and was declined for the Discover IT.  When I called to recon I gave my very convincing reason for BK, was put on hold for almost 5 minutes, but still denied.  The rep told me the BK wasn't an issue, just they wanted to see more tradeline variety.  She advised me to get a credit rebuilder loan and to reapply after a year.  My BK was discharged Oct 2011 and at the time of this Discover application I only had one cc, a Cap 1 Platinum with $2,000 limit opened May 2013.

I never got the rebuilder loan.  After the Discover denial I paid off my car loan and got a Target store card.  The car loan dropped my score for a moment while the Target card increased it.  Closed on mortgage in July 2014 with mid-score at 661.  Then immediately increased CL on Cap 1 to $4,000 and approved for Barclay $1,300.  It took a while for the mortgage to report, but I'm pretty sure that and my credit card usage finally helped me get approved for Discover IT in March 2015, $1,400 limit.  I had to take the counteroffer though which has no 0% intro period and is 22.9% apr.  High, but I'm in the door right?

I'm done applying for anything for probably the next 2 years.  Just gonna continue nurturing what I have through CLI's, PC's, and utilization.  I have absolutely no interest in applying for any Chase or Citi cards as so many don't get approved.  March 2015 I accidentally applied for the Chase Amazon card when I was simply trying to get the Amazon store card and Chase denied me.  The only reason for denial on the letter was bankruptcy.  I didn't recon.

I am interested in applying for AMEX far down the road.  We'll see how that goes when the time comes.

Good luck to all on your rebuilds!  It will be so awesome when our BK's fall off!

Thank you for the information. Glad that we could be of help, that is all we want to do Smiley Very Happy

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 22 of 1,427
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can vouch and say that if you are ok with a discover secure IT card i was approved 1 month after discharge. and it does graduate to a unsecure card after a year of good history.

Can I ask if you burned Discover?  Did you ask for the secured card or did they just offer it to you?

Here is my two cents which I hope adds to the OP's list.

No degros on my CH pre BK.  Post BK the only degros are IIBK and on EQ  7 missed payments on my mortgage. 

Applied for BOA secured 4 years post BK.  Graduated in 9 months. Burned in BK

Applied for Chase BP gas card again 4 years post BK.  Auto denied because of BK (as Supra stated) recon and denied.... They want to see longer utiization on a couple store cards (no interest purchases)  the CA (super understanding) stated BK was NOT the deciding factor.  FYI this month Chase BP and BP Visa will now be Synchrony Bank  Burned Chase with my Amazon CC.

Citi.  Tried for Exxon Mobil gas card for the heck of it as I had several gas cards and two Visa with them that were not IIBK.  However I did burn them with my Thank you CC and my Sears MC  No go until 7-10 years post BK as it's been mentioned in this thread. However like others I have a BB MC that is now Citi.  They have denied 2 CLI's with me but the reason wasn't BK but some other lame excuse. Others have mentioned they blacklist.  Would love to have a Home Depot card again but have been denied because of BK.  I did not burn this card! 

Synchrony Bank.  Have to say that I've had better luck with GE Financial.  Burned GE with my Sams Discover and JC Penneys however i was approved for a JC Penney card and a CLI on the same day. (reconned the CLI in the store).  However I have been twice denied with a Sams Club store card.  Never had any luck with Synchrony.  I've also noticed on their Banana Republic store card application, they ask about BK.  Never seen that on any other Synchrony card application.

Comenity Bank was been very generous on their store card CLIs but they won't approve me for a Marathon Visa or BJ Perks MC. Again they mention BK (among other reasons) in their denial letters.

Have had good luck with First National Bank legacy.  It was a CH builder as it carries a high APR and $75 AF.  I always PIF but it's great for small bills.  They too have been great with requested CLI's.  Up to $1600 which is a good limit for me. 

Started with two Cap1 cards post BK, one was the credit steps. That card started with a $2000 and has had a few auto CLIs.... up to $5k now.  I have a 3rd card which originally was a Orchard Bank Sears rewards card.  Did the CEO request for a 1k CLI and was countered with $500.  Good for utilization.

Of course YMMV but the list is appreciated Supra!!!

Message 23 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Discover IT card and was declined and they offered me the secure version I applied online. I didn't burn them. I was denied for a JC Penny (Stated BK)
burned GE with my Care Credit care would love to have them back but I'm not sure they would approve me.

I think Cap1 blacklisted me cause they will not approve me for anything.
Message 24 of 1,427
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for the Discover IT card and was declined and they offered me the secure version I applied online. I didn't burn them. I was denied for a JC Penny (Stated BK) burned GE with my Care Credit care would love to have them back but I'm not sure they would approve me.

I think Cap1 blacklisted me cause they will not approve me for anything.

Seems that JC Penny is pretty stingy with cards and limits. I was approved but for a very small limit. I had the card for 3 years before I used it because the limit was tiny $300 and most of my other limits are $3k to over $7k on other cards (most generous lines with Barclays).

Anyway, I took a chance for Christmas and actually used the JC Penny line and they increased it to $550 (not huge...but still an auto CLI).

I didn't burn them in my Bk, but I really don't know how to get a decent credit line from them. Used the card again last month. Maybe it will generate another auto CLI. Hard to use a toy limit card....smh

Cap 1 has been okay. 2 cc's - most recent one QS at $3k. Didn't recon for CLI.

BTW, I received a CLI from Best Buy (Citi) last month. Not as much as I asked for but the line is $3k now. So Citi does approve CLIs for Best Buy without going the full 7 years post discharge....one more data point

Message 25 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't burn any store cards in BK but seem to have a hard time getting them but then again I only tried JCPenny cause I shop there a lot.
I tried Barclays the recon guy stated to wait 6 months I applied and was declined in Jan.

I just joined NFCU yesterday and today the rep helped me apply for the LOC and CC was approved for the LOC still waiting on the CC.

I just need 2 more cards to help me rebuild. I have the Discover and Credit One but really wanna close the Credit one they suck! And to have to wait a week to use my available credit with them gets really annoying.
Message 26 of 1,427
northface28
Established Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

Dave: no problem! The other thread was kind of old but I did like the idea of it. I have not given Bank of America a thought. When I was very young I had a CO for about $500 with them. 

StartingOver: Thanks for the Citi info! I had no idea on that one Smiley Happy 

I got in with BOA, the $99/$500 offer, got to start somewhere. Card acutally arrived today and it simply magnificent.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 27 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

Dave: no problem! The other thread was kind of old but I did like the idea of it. I have not given Bank of America a thought. When I was very young I had a CO for about $500 with them. 

StartingOver: Thanks for the Citi info! I had no idea on that one Smiley Happy 

I got in with BOA, the $99/$500 offer, got to start somewhere. Card acutally arrived today and it simply magnificent.

Awesome! Does anyone have specific info as to when Bank of America will consider for secured card post BK?

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 28 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it definitely isn't 2 months post BK. they denied me so I would love to know that answer as well. I did burn them in bk though
Message 29 of 1,427
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

My bk 13 was discharged 06/14 (filed 4/09)
Within 2 months of discharge: Firestone, credit one, hsn, loft, Valero
Approx 3 months after discharge I starting getting synch approvals and got cap one. My Wells Fargo secured also unsecured at this point. Biggest surprise at this point was getting a Barclay approval (IIB)
6months got venture one, Macy's, credit union credit card
One year just got a reg venture and an American Airlines card issued by Citi. I had to call and do phone verification and when the rep said i was approved he said something like "welcome to the Citibank family of cards" or something like that. I burned citi bad in bankruptcy.
I've closed most of the ones from about a year ago and now really want to get my credit lines up and my goal is to get back a Citicard and I am eagerly awaiting being approved for a chase southwest.
Message 30 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.