Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

BK 7 discharged Nov. 2014. Dec. 2014 approved for Capital One Platinum $2000 CL. Feb. 2015 approved for Capital One QS One $3000 CL. Jujst today approved for Barclay Rewards $1500 CL. Did the same for my wife, we filed jointly. The only difference, for some reason her QS One card only got a $2000 CL. We are each listed as AU on one the Capital One Platinum cards but not on the other 2. 

So according to the plan, I should have enough to start building up my scores without having to apply for anything else. My only issue us that all of our cards are Mastercard. With Costco dumping Amex and going with Visa I would prefer if one of those cards was a Visa. I just haven't seen any Visa cards being talked about that are BK friendly. 

Message 61 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Is Fidelity AmEx BK friendly?

A little over 7 years post BK here with decent scores and got declined for the Delta Gold card due to BK. The EO office was actually kind of rude and not very helpful. I wish I didn't fly Delta so much as I would definitely never apply for an AMEX again.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 62 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

Is Fidelity AmEx BK friendly?

A little over 7 years post BK here with decent scores and got declined for the Delta Gold card due to BK. The EO office was actually kind of rude and not very helpful. I wish I didn't fly Delta so much as I would definitely never apply for an AMEX again.

Did you burn Amex in your BK? I've read that if you inclide them in BK they're like CUs and won't take you back until you repay in full. And there a couple Amex cards that are issued by banks, not by Amex themselves - Fidelity Amex is one, issued by FIA/BoA, BVM Compass bank issues an NBA team logo Amex, also 1st Nat Bank of Omaha. But since you fly Delta and seem to be in good with Cap One, whey not try the Venture card? Miles can be used on any airline, and currently has a very generous signup spend bonus. Barclays Arrival is also a popular travel rewards card.

I was Delta Gold Medallion from 1995-2005, averaging 60-70k miles/yr. on biz travel. Delta is a very good airline, but I'm really glad those travel days are behind me.

Message 63 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Thanks Dave. Your comments are helpful. I didn't burn Amex and I hadn't thought of a different airline card. I might give Venture a try in the next couple months. Once I summon up enough courage to apply for a new card Smiley Happy

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Message 64 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Travel card was what I meant to say Smiley Happy

Message 65 of 1,427
northface28
Established Contributor

Thanks Dave. Your comments are helpful. I didn't burn Amex and I hadn't thought of a different airline card. I might give Venture a try in the next couple months. Once I summon up enough courage to apply for a new card Smiley Happy

Summon up courage? Youre a virtual lock for a Venture.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 66 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Try Capital One's pre-qualifier:

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

It's a soft pull, and if it recommends the card with a specific APR you're 99% certain to be approved on full app, and they've been very generous with CLs lately, especially with Venture. There's nothing like an approval with great CL to help you get over a denial by a BK unforgiving lender.

Message 67 of 1,427
beezer32
Regular Contributor

I 'burned' Capital One in my Ch7 but it was a secured card with a $300 CL. I also included a Capital One Auto Finance account in the petition. My question is, when I am 6-12 MOS post discharge, do you think I have any chance of approval from Capital One on a QuickSilverOne or similar product from them? I know some people have reported mixed experiences here regarding C1 approvals following burning them in the BK but I haven't read anything about secured cards being the one IIB. Thanks!

Message 68 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Summon up courage? Youre a virtual lock for a Venture.

ItIt is a funny thing. The better my credit has gotten, the more reluctant I am to apply for credit. I'm less than thrilled about the experian inquiry for the Delta Amex card and I'm pondering the benefit of yet another inquiry (triple pull with Capital one) and the effects of a new account on my score. I know, trivial but I honestly don't need new credit. It would be nice to get more travel miles but I have to convince my self that it is actually worth it Smiley Happy

Message 69 of 1,427
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Try Capital One's pre-qualifier:

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

It's a soft pull, and if it recommends the card with a specific APR you're 99% certain to be approved on full app, and they've been very generous with CLs lately, especially with Venture. There's nothing like an approval with great CL to help you get over a denial by a BK unforgiving lender.

Just did and alas I didn't have a prequalification. Which is probably good anyways. I'll likely wait and try later this year or early next year. Appreciate your help though Smiley Happy

Message 70 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.