Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@morgacj2004 wrote:
As usual YMMV You may be a little early for CITI. Yes co branded cards are generally easier to get. Synchrony had tightened up as far as getting CLI. Comenity can be very generous.

I've seen that posted a couple times here on MyFico, but when I got my statement this month I was surprised to see a $1k auto CLI, from $5k to $6k, I only charge $100 or so each month on it.

I actually had a CSR tell me my $10k limit on my Amazon card is rare and I should be happy Smiley Very Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 521 of 1,427
Duke84
Regular Contributor

I just got approved for the Citi Best Buy card today. Just celebrated 2 years post BK7. $1K starting limit, 25.49% APR.

The terms suck, but seeing as how I now have a Citi card and seeing as how I go to Best Buy often, the card will come in handy.

Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 522 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Duke84 wrote:

I just got approved for the Citi Best Buy card today. Just celebrated 2 years post BK7. $1K starting limit, 25.49% APR.

The terms suck, but seeing as how I now have a Citi card and seeing as how I go to Best Buy often, the card will come in handy.

Congrats! Yeah, at that APR it's not a card you'll want to carry a balance on. And one downside is Citi never gives out an auto CLI, you have to request it and it's always a HP. And it doesn't have any fees? I don't think Citi issues it with an annual fee. I got mine from HSBC back in 2011 when they were pushing it as a subprime card, probably while Best Buy dropped them. HSBC only gave me a $500 CL, and with a $59 AF, but it was my first post BK7 unsecured card. Cap One took it over from HSBC, and they gave me an auto CLI to $1k, then I caled and got them to raise it to $2k, but it always had the AF. I called Citi last fall and they wouldn't budge on removing the AF, and refused to downgrade it to a store card with no AF, so I told them Close It! I don't shop Best Buy as much as I used to, and the AF ate up most of my Reward Zone certificates.

Message 523 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I are fresh out of bankruptcy with a discharge date of 8/22. Final credit score for my husband is 693 while I ended with a 531. I tried capital one and was denied. Do I need to wait for the paper to come in the mail or can I go ahead and try recon? Any advice would be helpful! Thank you in advance?
Message 524 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I are fresh out of bankruptcy with a discharge date of 8/22. Final credit score for my husband is 693 while I ended with a 531. I tried capital one and was denied. Do I need to wait for the paper to come in the mail or can I go ahead and try recon? Any advice would be helpful! Thank you in advance?
Message 525 of 1,427
BigItaly
Valued Member

You need to get copies of your credit report and make sure all of your accounts are listed as IIB. Hopefully, you didn't burn Capital One in your bankruptcy. Ensuring that all of your accounts are listed as IIB will help you drastically. But if you're fresh out of bankruptcy I'd consider waiting a few months before applying for anything.
BK Ch7 Discharged - 1/21/2015

TU 580, EQ 570, EX 571

As of 1/1/17, TU 655, EQ 678, EX 681
Message 526 of 1,427
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Panda;

My wife was instantly approved for the Costco Visa, and they only pulled EX, but could be only on a case by case basis.

Congrats on your wife's Costco approval!
May I ask for some data points on your wife's CRA? Does she have a BK still reporting?
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 527 of 1,427
panda11
Regular Contributor

Re: Costco Visa 4 w/ BK reporting

@JR_TX

here you go, data point

My wife was instantly approved for Costco Visa for 8K, 4 1/2 post discharged with CITI IIB, 08 FICO EXP 711 ish.

Zero credit card Inquiries on EX in past 2 years, 3 mortgage inquiries.  100K+ in available credit, 1 % utilization. 

Message 528 of 1,427
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Panda
Hey Thanks a bunch! I think I'll go ahead and give it a try! I'll just wait for 1 inq to fall off my EX at the end of this month in a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed! Lol Wish me luck man!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 529 of 1,427
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

I gave Costco Visa a try with a 690 EX score and yes i have lots of inquiries but the only reason specified was my BK :/
Message 530 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.