Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@Scupra wrote:
Awesome news and congrats on the approvals luxe! Which Citi card did you apply for? That's an awesome SL for Discover!!

Thanks Scupra!  I can't fully enjoy it though.  I just have an uneasy feeling about the inquiries on my CR.  I'm up to 4 now.

I wanted to apply for the Citi Costco card because that seemed to be the one where most BK'ers were getting approval.  But I don't have (or need or want) a membership to Costco.  So I applied for the Citi Simplicity.  I'm still upset on the wasted inquiry!  Oh well, can't get it back!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 601 of 1,427
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Awesome progress Lux! 

Thanks!  It's bittersweet.  I'm trying to make sure my credit reports are spotless (minus the BK, of course!) and too many inquiries are starting to worry me.  And it takes an insane 2 years to fall off!! 

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 602 of 1,427
Scupra
Super Contributor

@luxeprw9 wrote:

@Scupra wrote:
Awesome news and congrats on the approvals luxe! Which Citi card did you apply for? That's an awesome SL for Discover!!

Thanks Scupra!  I can't fully enjoy it though.  I just have an uneasy feeling about the inquiries on my CR.  I'm up to 4 now.

I wanted to apply for the Citi Costco card because that seemed to be the one where most BK'ers were getting approval.  But I don't have (or need or want) a membership to Costco.  So I applied for the Citi Simplicity.  I'm still upset on the wasted inquiry!  Oh well, can't get it back!

I definitely think the Costco card has lighter UW standards. Oh well, next time! 4 inquiries is nothing to worry about Smiley Happy Relax

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 603 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

luxeprw9, if you're just wanting to get in with Citi, go for their secured card. Mine is graduating next month (they already sent me a letter confirming this) and will be a Citi Diamond Preferred. I'm 3 years out of BK at this point, so I was a year and a half when I got it.
Message 604 of 1,427
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Great advice from Curious Relic. I got my secured card last year and it will unsecured in the next few months. Good way to get in with CITI although in the mean time I got a Costco and SEARS card.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 605 of 1,427
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@TXinandout ;

Yeah I still have have my BK7 reporting. D/C 01/2011.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXinandout :

Thank you for the feedback. I will apply after I reach my first year post-discharge. Do you have a BK on your file?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JR_TX wrote:
Hey all!

Just thought that I'd come back here to possibly be of help to someone with BK on CR.

Penfed is also BK friendly. It's open to everyone (civilians) just need to make a $17 donation to their charity to become a member. There's a thread here by baller4life about 400 pages long about Penfed. They're an Equifax only puller. If you're 1 year post bk discharge and have an EQ Fico of 650+ there's a very good chance you'll get approved for their CCs.
I just joined yesterday and app'd for their Travel Rewards Amex and got approved within an hour for a $10K SL!

It's been a slow and sometimes painful BK journey for us but everything turns out well.

'Wish us all the best!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 606 of 1,427
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
luxeprw9, if you're just wanting to get in with Citi, go for their secured card. Mine is graduating next month (they already sent me a letter confirming this) and will be a Citi Diamond Preferred. I'm 3 years out of BK at this point, so I was a year and a half when I got it.

I was thinking about that after talking to one of Citi's reps today.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the dollar amount you used for the secured card?  And will the unsecured card have the same limit?  I did that with my BOA card and it unsecured after about 11 months but has been stuck at $500 since 2014.  And they declined my request for a CLI.   I don't want to go thru that again.

I may need to focus on my relationship with Capital One.  Maybe it's best to see if I can PC that card and get a higher limit. 

I've read so many posts were everyone speaks about really spending heavily on a card in order to get a CLI.  The issue with that, for me, is that I'm trying to pay off my student loans and that's where all my money goes!!  Other than gas and groceries, there is very little spending out side of that. 

EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Message 607 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Citi secured is $500. The letter said that it was graduating and will become a Diamond Preferred, but it didn't say anything about the credit line. My goal is to PC to Double Cash. Will try next month when it officially graduates.
Message 608 of 1,427
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

@luxeprw9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking about that after talking to one of Citi's reps today.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the dollar amount you used for the secured card?  And will the unsecured card have the same limit?  I did that with my BOA card and it unsecured after about 11 months but has been stuck at $500 since 2014.  And they declined my request for a CLI.   I don't want to go thru that again.

I may need to focus on my relationship with Capital One.  Maybe it's best to see if I can PC that card and get a higher limit. 

I've read so many posts were everyone speaks about really spending heavily on a card in order to get a CLI.  The issue with that, for me, is that I'm trying to pay off my student loans and that's where all my money goes!!  Other than gas and groceries, there is very little spending out side of that. 

can you use a card to pay your student loans instead of a bank account?

If so, just pay your student loan with the credit card, then pay off the credit card balance.  You can do that multiple times a month paying down the balance of your credit card if you have a low limit.  

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 609 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

@luxeprw9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

can you use a card to pay your student loans instead of a bank account?

If so, just pay your student loan with the credit card, then pay off the credit card balance.  You can do that multiple times a month paying down the balance of your credit card if you have a low limit.  

And if your lender doesn't accept plastic, there's always Plastiq

Message 610 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.