Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

Scupra wrote:
Awesome news and congrats on the approvals luxe! Which Citi card did you apply for? That's an awesome SL for Discover!!

Thanks Scupra!  I can't fully enjoy it though.  I just have an uneasy feeling about the inquiries on my CR.  I'm up to 4 now.

I wanted to apply for the Citi Costco card because that seemed to be the one where most BK'ers were getting approval.  But I don't have (or need or want) a membership to Costco.  So I applied for the Citi Simplicity.  I'm still upset on the wasted inquiry!  Oh well, can't get it back!

Garden Date: 3/11/17

Contributor

Justagirl73 wrote:

Awesome progress Lux! 

Thanks!  It's bittersweet.  I'm trying to make sure my credit reports are spotless (minus the BK, of course!) and too many inquiries are starting to worry me.  And it takes an insane 2 years to fall off!! 

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

luxeprw9 wrote:

Scupra wrote:
Awesome news and congrats on the approvals luxe! Which Citi card did you apply for? That's an awesome SL for Discover!!

Thanks Scupra!  I can't fully enjoy it though.  I just have an uneasy feeling about the inquiries on my CR.  I'm up to 4 now.

I wanted to apply for the Citi Costco card because that seemed to be the one where most BK'ers were getting approval.  But I don't have (or need or want) a membership to Costco.  So I applied for the Citi Simplicity.  I'm still upset on the wasted inquiry!  Oh well, can't get it back!

I definitely think the Costco card has lighter UW standards. Oh well, next time! 4 inquiries is nothing to worry about Smiley Happy Relax

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
732 EQ FICO 06/2017
740 TU FICO 06/2017
735 EX FICO 06/2017
$20k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $6.6k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $14k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa
Valued Member

luxeprw9, if you're just wanting to get in with Citi, go for their secured card. Mine is graduating next month (they already sent me a letter confirming this) and will be a Citi Diamond Preferred. I'm 3 years out of BK at this point, so I was a year and a half when I got it.
Valued Contributor

Great advice from Curious Relic. I got my secured card last year and it will unsecured in the next few months. Good way to get in with CITI although in the mean time I got a Costco and SEARS card.

CO-Venture-23k, CO Venture One -46k, BC Ring 7.5k, BC Cash Fwd 4.5k, BC Arrival+ 5k, JC Penny 5k, AKUSA FCU -10k , Comenity Blue Nile 7k, Cabelas WFB 8k, DC-7k, Kohls-3k, CHASE Amazon Prime VS 500, BofA AK Air Siggy 7.8k, Synchrony Cathay Pacific Visa 6k, PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 17k PFCU AX Travel Rewards 20.5 NFCU Go Rewards 24k , NFCU Cash Rewards 31.5k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $3250, Target 1k, Macy's 3k, VS, 750, BLIS PAY 5k, Pay Pal 1k, Virgin America 10k, 246k total available credit. Utiliz-5% Current FICO EQ-692, EX 708 TU 705 Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Regular Contributor

@TXinandout ;

Yeah I still have have my BK7 reporting. D/C 01/2011.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXinandout :

Thank you for the feedback. I will apply after I reach my first year post-discharge. Do you have a BK on your file?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JR_TX wrote:
Hey all!

Just thought that I'd come back here to possibly be of help to someone with BK on CR.

Penfed is also BK friendly. It's open to everyone (civilians) just need to make a $17 donation to their charity to become a member. There's a thread here by baller4life about 400 pages long about Penfed. They're an Equifax only puller. If you're 1 year post bk discharge and have an EQ Fico of 650+ there's a very good chance you'll get approved for their CCs.
I just joined yesterday and app'd for their Travel Rewards Amex and got approved within an hour for a $10K SL!

It's been a slow and sometimes painful BK journey for us but everything turns out well.

'Wish us all the best!
In the garden 'til 02/2018

Rebuilding since FICO 500s in 2011

8/15/16 Fico8 EX705 EQ709 TU697
Contributor

Curious_Relic wrote:
luxeprw9, if you're just wanting to get in with Citi, go for their secured card. Mine is graduating next month (they already sent me a letter confirming this) and will be a Citi Diamond Preferred. I'm 3 years out of BK at this point, so I was a year and a half when I got it.

I was thinking about that after talking to one of Citi's reps today.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the dollar amount you used for the secured card?  And will the unsecured card have the same limit?  I did that with my BOA card and it unsecured after about 11 months but has been stuck at $500 since 2014.  And they declined my request for a CLI.   I don't want to go thru that again.

I may need to focus on my relationship with Capital One.  Maybe it's best to see if I can PC that card and get a higher limit. 

I've read so many posts were everyone speaks about really spending heavily on a card in order to get a CLI.  The issue with that, for me, is that I'm trying to pay off my student loans and that's where all my money goes!!  Other than gas and groceries, there is very little spending out side of that. 

Highlighted
Valued Member

My Citi secured is $500. The letter said that it was graduating and will become a Diamond Preferred, but it didn't say anything about the credit line. My goal is to PC to Double Cash. Will try next month when it officially graduates.
Regular Contributor

luxeprw9 wrote:

Curious_Relic wrote:

I was thinking about that after talking to one of Citi's reps today.  If you don't mind me asking, what was the dollar amount you used for the secured card?  And will the unsecured card have the same limit?  I did that with my BOA card and it unsecured after about 11 months but has been stuck at $500 since 2014.  And they declined my request for a CLI.   I don't want to go thru that again.

I may need to focus on my relationship with Capital One.  Maybe it's best to see if I can PC that card and get a higher limit. 

I've read so many posts were everyone speaks about really spending heavily on a card in order to get a CLI.  The issue with that, for me, is that I'm trying to pay off my student loans and that's where all my money goes!!  Other than gas and groceries, there is very little spending out side of that. 

can you use a card to pay your student loans instead of a bank account?

If so, just pay your student loan with the credit card, then pay off the credit card balance.  You can do that multiple times a month paying down the balance of your credit card if you have a low limit.  

BK 7 Starting Scores (12/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (6/2017): EQ-663. TU-658. EX-665.
Goal for 2017: 650's. - almost there!!
Established Contributor

enjoimorenow wrote:

luxeprw9 wrote:

Curious_Relic wrote:

can you use a card to pay your student loans instead of a bank account?

If so, just pay your student loan with the credit card, then pay off the credit card balance.  You can do that multiple times a month paying down the balance of your credit card if you have a low limit.  

And if your lender doesn't accept plastic, there's always Plastiq

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 05/18/2017: EX 655 / TU 660 / EQ 676 - Follow my Journey Here

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.