Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
HoneyRock
New Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

I agree with JAG73, keep Discover and watch them grow.  I started with secured card at $200, increased to $300 one month before they decided to unsecure me for $750.  Requested CLI and went to about $1650 if I remember correctly, then again to $3200 all within about a year from the time they unsecured me.  Check out some of the Discover threads, it helped me remain confident in their ability to increase limits pretty quickly.  I'm now on Discover card number 2 Smiley Wink!  

Discharged Chp7: 1/15
CreditKarmaFako 1/18: TU745 EQ744
FICOSCORE8 8/17: EX640 EQ621 TU642
CardsInWallet: 10 Credit Cards | 14 Store Cards | 100k Club as of 1/22/2018
Opened then Closed ~20 Store cards Jan 2016 totaling ~4k (I know SMH) | Boatload of INQ's | Last HP 03/22/18
**** Focused On The Garden for 24 months (Working towards a mortgage & continuous Free Flowing SP CLI's)****
Message 971 of 1,427
HoneyRock
New Contributor

BOA - 3 years post discharge and I'm back baby!!!!!

How I got back in with BOA … While my journey here took many years, I will try my best to not take many years to explain Smiley Happy  So I had my first BOA card back in 2003 or 2004, I was super excited to own one because at the time it was considered an MBNA credit card.  Anyways, I messed that card up pretty badly and it ended up being charged off, about $10k charged off and was a constant blemish on my credit report (but that was not the only blemish I must add).  Anyways, it was on my credit report for so long it finally just ‘fell off’… YAY to falling off.  At which point my overall profile was not too shabby.  Problem is I had to file for bankruptcy not to long after having decent credit… ugh!!!  Well… about one year post bankruptcy I applied for a card and was countered with the 500/99$ deal, so I jumped at it.  Had the card for a year, deposit was returned and I went completely unsecured WITHOUT a hard pull, YAAAAAY!  I requested a credit limit increase but it required a hard pull so I declined initially.  But then, I was feeling pretty confident with some other approvals at the time so I pulled the trigger on a hard pull as was declined Smiley Sad… needless to say I was pissed!  This all occurred within the same month or there abouts.  I then requested for a product change or a lower interest rate, I wanted Something out of the deal, all No Go’s… just UGH!!  So because of all the other approvals I received and with this card being so low in limit, it made my credit profile look bad so I decided to cancel it all together as well as Any other accounts I had with BOA, can you say scorned!  So here we are about a year after closing all accounts with BOA I applied online for the 123Cash Rewards card and was declined due to bankruptcy on my file.  I was offered the secured one and thought… I already been down that road with them and I think it would only be right to apply and again and request a recon, so I did.  I waited entire week for the response and nothing, application sat in the In Review status.  I called back again and explained how I already had a card that graduated with them and along with my current credit profile over a year ago with bankruptcy on it and my profile is better than it was over a year ago AND I am further away from my bankruptcy now than I was then… The recon analyst spoke with her boss and still came back declined!  I just couldn’t understand, I should be approved because I was already able to show that I was able to handle a credit card with them for over 1 year, it graduated to unsecured, and if I was approved to graduate with a bankruptcy why would I not be approved for a card now … I protested more!  So I requested to rep to explain to me how they could decline me now with a better profile than before she then mentioned that she doesn’t know if it was better than before and I requested she compare the two and let me know what the differences were.  After one hour of being on the call, she finally says that they pulled transunion last time I was approved and they pulled Experian this time.  And I said, ok well all of my files are almost identical so that can’t be the issue.  She further states that on my Experian report that there are four tradelines that don’t have the markers that they were included in bankruptcy and because of those tradeline showing charge off and they were not included in bankruptcy they were unable to approve me!  I like are YOU kidding me… I knew for certain they were included in bankruptcy as I pulled up my file while we were on the phone and sure enough I was able to explain to her and confirm that all four of those accounts were included in bankruptcy but that they all had the SAME exact close date (which was the date of my bankruptcy) AND that I have reestablished account with the two banks that the four accounts were held by.  I requested her to check and see that I have accounts with those banks and larger limits than I previously had, therefore with all of these indicators pointing to them being in bankruptcy why would she Not believe me.  Anyway, the call ended and I was still in denied status.  I then called back and requested to speak with another manager for there had to be someone there that logically understood where I was coming from.  Well, after getting another manager in the recon department I wanted answers and someone to explain how they could make a decision to decline based off accounts included in my bankruptcy.  Well, the manager did another review and decided it could potentially be over turned BUT after speaking with his manager, for the same reason, those accounts not being labeling as being in bankruptcy they would have to decline me.  I was flabbergasted!!!  I was looking at my credit report and those accounts clearly stated that they were in bankruptcy but the one they pulled didn’t say they were… just how could this be.  I pressed him to pull the transunion report since that was the one they approved me with and since I was sure it would verify that those accounts were labeled correctly.  After unfreezing my account, he pulled it and surely they were labeled as being included in bankruptcy….  After placing me on hold again (total phone call so far about another hour), he came back and he stated that with this new information, he/they were able to overturn the decision.  Finally, I thought and YAY!!!! Credit limit was trash (lowest cc limit yet) BUT I was back in with a card that I like, a bank that I like, no annual fee, and the bonus of $150 for spending $500 in three months.  The application status remained In Review status for over almost two weeks and was updated about three days following a verbal approval over the phone… to Approved!  So there you have it… Back in with BOA and while I am excited I haven’t gotten the card in the mail yet so I’m typically a skeptic until I have the card in hand and make my first purchase Smiley Wink…  Just my story to give someone else out there hope.  Oh… and there is a PS to this…

After getting the approval I call Experian and pulled a fresh report, they told me all was well and exactly what I thought it was, those accounts had in fact been labelled IIB and they were willing to send BOA a copy of my report… I instead three wayed them with BOA so that they understood why my file had those four accounts labeled the way they did, and the Experian rep explained that they were charged off prior to bankruptcy and even though they were IIB the Charged Off label will not change.  I thought to myself how could a professional credit analyst and its entire department (managers and all) not know this? Its what they do every day.  Anywho, everyone learned a lesson here and I just excited to say that I am indeed back in with BOA even with all the hassle!  The End Smiley Happy  (told you I would ‘try’ to make this short Smiley Very Happy)!!!  (Please excuse any typos and grammatical errors... rushing)

Discharged Chp7: 1/15
CreditKarmaFako 1/18: TU745 EQ744
FICOSCORE8 8/17: EX640 EQ621 TU642
CardsInWallet: 10 Credit Cards | 14 Store Cards | 100k Club as of 1/22/2018
Opened then Closed ~20 Store cards Jan 2016 totaling ~4k (I know SMH) | Boatload of INQ's | Last HP 03/22/18
**** Focused On The Garden for 24 months (Working towards a mortgage & continuous Free Flowing SP CLI's)****
Message 972 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats @Honeyrock!  

Message 973 of 1,427
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Hey all! Just thought I’d come back here from time to time and share some DPs on my post BK7 rebuild journey.

Citi was IIB (upwards of $15K) in my BK7 dc in 01/2011. Today, I Finally got back in with citi (legacy side) 10 days past the 7 year mark!
They turned me down 2X in 2016 ( 5 yr post) recon’d to their EO twice back then and was told both times that I had to wait 7 years to be considered. So it seems they were right.
To all my fellow BKers that just started or early on the rebuild process... hang in there. Be patient as yeah it’s gonna take some time but everything will turn out right!
Patience is what we all need in this journey!

Here’s the link to my approval post with DPs and details in case someone is interested...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Citi-AAdvantage-Finally-in-after-citi-IIB-BK7/...
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 974 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU to JR_TX and all you folks who come back and let us know, years and years after the fact, that there is hope yet if you are patient and stick it out. It feels like a slog sometimes, so we need that help. 

Smiley Happy ty and keep up the great work!!

Message 975 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HoneyRock  This is really remarkable. Unbelievable tenacity on your part, congratulations. 

Message 976 of 1,427
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Try Kohls.  I got approved 1 month after discharged.  And it's run by Capital One Bank so it's easier to get approved

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 977 of 1,427
stinastina
Established Contributor

I was denied for Kohl's in store.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 978 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried for a BofA card after doing the prequal on their website. It said to apply for the cash back card so I did and DENIED 🤬

Got my letter today stating BK was reason. My BK was discharged December of 2013. Should I try to re-con?

I just got a Nordstrom Visa with a 2k credit limit and RC Willey for 2k as well. My FICO is 655 not great but not bad. I have no baddies on my report except the BK in 2013
Message 979 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone can give me any advice or thoughts on my situation, I would appreciate it.  I had a Capital One credit card that was IIB that was discharged in July 2017, when I did apply for a card with them or even a pre-approval a month ago for an auto loan, the rejection said "there are too many delinquient past or present Capital One credit obligations" and as far as I know, the only one I've had recently was the one IIB.  I was wondering if there is any suggestions to get back in good with them?  

Fingerhut was IIB yet still shows my same account if I go to their website, so unsure of what to do with them since they said they sold it to a collection agency and yet on my credit report it shows it within the bankruptcy.  I'm not really worried about Citi, even though they were included with the Best Buy Card and Synchony was included with an Amazon and WalMart card.  

Also, in regards to PenFed I was told recently from them that they require 2 years post BK before considering any unsecured credit, so not too sure on what to do with that one either.  Oh and didn't receive an email about a survey.....Thanks.  Guess I am just wondering when or if I should attempt to apply to any of them.  Don't have any Comenity cards also.  

Currently have a Discover Secured $500 Limit, Credit One $500 limit (Yes I know to run from them soon as I can), Navy CLOC - $2500 (they declined me for the Cash Rewards, haven't tried their secured yet though), and local credit union builder loan which is paid up until 2020. 

Message 980 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.