Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

I used to live in Texas. Texas has a very different set of state exemptions for CH7 bankruptcy than other states. Debtors assets are far more protected in BK than in any other state in the union. What this means is, if you opt for the TX state exemptions rather than the fetederal ones, you will emerge from bankruptcy with far more assets than in any other state. This, you will tend to be in a better position to recover financially.

While last bing in TX I was approved for an AMEX card instantly 6 years after CH13 BK. A few months ago I moved to C.A. and was denied because of BK.
Message 931 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex seems to be 5 years post file, but don't expect a CLI with a BK showing.

I was 5 years post CH13 (discharged 12 months), was not IIB.
Instant 5k BCP.
Message 932 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't state BK as a denial reason, they deny me because they previously closed my account. On the plus side, every time I apply, they don't hit me with a HP. So at least there is that. I'm now 6 years & 5 months post file. We filed CH7 initially and had to switch to 13, all in Lousiana (moved to TX later) so our CR's will be clean in June next year. I'll keep trying with Amex every month until they give. They did show me three pre-quals this month, which was new....but all declined.
Message 933 of 1,427
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

My wife and I both got approved exactly 5 yrs post discharge. 15k and 7k CL. AX was not IIB

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 934 of 1,427
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

I got back in with Chase just under 4 years after IIB. It took two recon calls and I was approved for the IHG card @ $2k. Did not IIB Citi but they did auto-decline me until the 7 year mark. Now i'm on my second Citi card. Amex no go as IIB. 

I filed June 2009 and actually waited until January of 2013 before getting my first post-BK card - a $500 limit DCCU Visa. In fact, DCCU told me they require three years post-BK before they will approve anyone. 

In the garden now until July 2019. Want to get under 5/24 so I can test the waters on another Chase card after the BK falls off. I have a checking account with them as of July where I direct deposit my paycheck.

Message 935 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is NOT very BK friendly. My CH13 was discharged 10 1/2 months ago. I applied for their cashRewards card and was declined. The primary reason given was BK. They said their decision was based on their own proprietary scoring system and gave me factors affecting my score. These included number of inquiries (I had 6, 2 in the last 6 months of which 1 was from opening an account with NFCU), and another factor was no open Credit Union accounts! I don’t get this one. I have both a savings and a checking account there. They also cited the number of open satisfactory accounts that are 24 months or older. This one is a real whammy for those coming out of BK. The last factor was the average credit limit of open credit cards reported in the last 12 months. This is also a big road block for those coming out of BK. All in all, I fail to see why NFCU is listed as being very BK friendly.

Message 936 of 1,427
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU is NOT very BK friendly. My CH13 was discharged 10 1/2 months ago. I applied for their cashRewards card and was declined. The primary reason given was BK. They said their decision was based on their own proprietary scoring system and gave me factors affecting my score. These included number of inquiries (I had 6, 2 in the last 6 months of which 1 was from opening an account with NFCU), and another factor was no open Credit Union accounts! I don’t get this one. I have both a savings and a checking account there. They also cited the number of open satisfactory accounts that are 24 months or older. This one is a real whammy for those coming out of BK. The last factor was the average credit limit of open credit cards reported in the last 12 months. This is also a big road block for those coming out of BK. All in all, I fail to see why NFCU is listed as being very BK friendly.

There are far more people with recent bankruptcies being approved at NFCU than not approved. The evidence is in the NFCU thread. Someone with a recent bk just got approved for the brand new NFCU Amex while several folks with scores 700 plus have been denied. I can't pinpoint, but there is something about your profile they did not like.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 937 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read on another forum that NFCU now requires a BK to be at least 1 year old before they will consider for approval.

Message 938 of 1,427
stinastina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I read on another forum that NFCU now requires a BK to be at least 1 year old before they will consider for approval.

Could be. You should post your data points in the mega thread. That will be helpful in case things are changing.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 939 of 1,427
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

NFCU is Much more BK friendly than most lenders. My wife and I were both approved around the 3 year mark with high CL on both cards. Others have been approved much sooner than that

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 940 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.