Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

tag
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Friendly Credit Cards Pt.2

@Anonymous wrote:
Amex seems to be 5 years post file, but don't expect a CLI with a BK showing.

I was 5 years post CH13 (discharged 12 months), was not IIB.
Instant 5k BCP.

This is very true!  Before realizing this, I tried and was denied due to the BK.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a small SL of $2k on one card and $1.8k on another card.  But grateful to be back in, as I had a previous charge off that was not IIB.  I applied when I was about 4-5 months post CH13 discharge.  I have a total of 3 Amex cards now but will be closing 2 soon.  I don't want/need any cards with annual fees unless they benefit me.  

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 951 of 1,427
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@MAZDA3 wrote:
It’s worth a shot, Dave. The worst they can say during recon is no. $18k is a pretty large loss to Chase, so I’m not sure which way it’ll go. I burned them for just under $800 (**bleep** attorney told me not to pay it off even though I had the money).

Well, turned down in recon for the AARP. But they never mentioned the Chase accounts IIB or amount, they cited too many new accounts & inquires. I bought a car in September, 1 EX pull from the dealer + 1 from local credit union. But then I got a better offer from Digital Credit Union and transferred the loan to them, so 2 new accounts for the 1 car loan + 3 new CCs this year. So I was pushing it, but with the decline for inquiries & new accounts I'll apply again maybe next year with some inquiries falling off and those new accounts aged.

BTW, you attorney gave you good advice, you can't favor one creditor over another just before filing BK. If the Trustee caught that they could have demanded Chase return your payment to be distributed equally amoung all creditors.

Message 952 of 1,427
ESimmons

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome Frank54!

Wow! Congrats on your approvals! That is unusual for Discover, from what I've read on these boards. Care to share your current FICO scores? Did you have a relationship with Discover before your BK?

Thanks!

I was approved for discover 1 mo after discharge with a SL 1.4k. 

Message 953 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those wondering about Chase, their 5/24 rule is in theory not supposed to apply to the AARP card, but I’m suspicious it does.

Message 954 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned the arrow up card. I posted this on another thread, my approval odds were fair from credit karma. My discharge went through on the 29th. Found out on pacer. My Experian was updated today on the 31st but the other two have not yet been updated. I decided to apply to the arrow up card anyway, and was approved with a 614TU score for a $750 limit and $59 af. I currently have a cap1 with a $300sl that I applied for last month. I burned them in the bk so was surprised to see I was instantly approved. I also asked my mom to add me as AU on her cap1 with a 3k line, and discover with a $1200 limit. I burned discover in my bk and was surprised to see they allowed me to become an AU. 

My next step was to open an account at a credit union and start building history there. I wasn’t sure what CU, I’m in northern NJ. 

Message 955 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gang, here's my update. BK DC 10-12-16 - Current Experian score as of today 658 - I tried to refi our New Kia Soul to get a lower APR with NavyFed and was told no just based on my score alone, no other factors and was told to re apply with JUST the husband and we might have a chance. I did was denied so I decided to not take no for an answer and did a little app spree. I finally applied for Cabela's Visa, and was instantlly approved for 1k. I will be paying off my Indigo CC $100 balance today and requesting it to be closed since I have a better CC now. I was also able to get back in the good graces of Syncromy and was approved for a $700 PayPal Credit Mastercard. I tried both for my husband and he was denied, however I placed him as an auth user on my applications so that should help him.

Message 956 of 1,427
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned the arrow up card. I posted this on another thread, my approval odds were fair from credit karma. My discharge went through on the 29th. Found out on pacer. My Experian was updated today on the 31st but the other two have not yet been updated. I decided to apply to the arrow up card anyway, and was approved with a 614TU score for a $750 limit and $59 af. I currently have a cap1 with a $300sl that I applied for last month. I burned them in the bk so was surprised to see I was instantly approved. I also asked my mom to add me as AU on her cap1 with a 3k line, and discover with a $1200 limit. I burned discover in my bk and was surprised to see they allowed me to become an AU. 

My next step was to open an account at a credit union and start building history there. I wasn’t sure what CU, I’m in northern NJ. 

Capital One approved you before you were even discharged?

Message 957 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they did. I did a preapproval and was shoved unsecured no AF with a $300
Message 958 of 1,427
chosen4th
Contributor

So I am 1 month post discharge. just did a credit one.. i burned Cap 1 but i see a lot of people getting it.. Ive never had discover, i did both of their pre qual and said not approved, should i try just applying and then calling back door?

Message 959 of 1,427
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait a year post DC to apply for Cap One. Sometimes people get in sooner such as myself however they won't give you a card generally until a year out. If you want to apply go for it because they won't pull your credit if your black listed. Discover I believe you need a few months out for an unsecured card however they keep telling me I only qualify for secured and I'm 13 months post DC.
I would try for an Indigo credit card. They do have an anual fee but it's a nice starter with no other charges besides Credit One.
Message 960 of 1,427
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.