Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Question

tag
william23
Regular Contributor

Bankruptcy Question

I am 24 and I recently got engaged I will be getting married soon my question is my fiancee filed chapter 7 to be discharged in april 6th. If we get married is that going to affect my credit ??? What do I do ? Any advice on this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scrubs
Regular Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Question

no it will not. getting joint accounts will if he does not pay his fair share and goes late. imo keep your credit sep.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@william23 wrote:

I am 24 and I recently got engaged I will be getting married soon my question is my fiancee filed chapter 7 to be discharged in april 6th. If we get married is that going to affect my credit ??? What do I do ? Any advice on this?

Definitely keep finances separate at least until you can see that conditions which were responsible for having to file bankruptcy have improved.

Message 3 of 7
william23
Regular Contributor

Thanks so MUCH!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@william23 wrote:

Definitely keep finances separate at least until you can see that conditions which were responsible for having to file bankruptcy have improved.

And be aware that her FICO may in fact be higher than yours.  So, you'll want to look at your own credit history and determine how you can recover your own scores.  You both have some significant rebuilding to do.  The good news is that it really can be fun to work on financial goals together.  Maybe someone will give you the Suze Orman FICO kit as an engagement present.  Smiley Wink 

You both can actively make a choice about how you handle your financial histories.  It may be tempting to get into a competition about who's done a worse job, but that becomes a case of the pot calling the kettle black.  Better to get into a friendly supportive team effort to increase both FICO's and make some changes as you approach your new life together.

Congratulations on your engagement!  Keep your FICO's in mind as you make the financial arrangements for the wedding and honeymoon.  We've married three gals off with no debt whatsoever involved, and have quite a few friends who have done the same.  Takes some creativity and keeping away from those ridiculously over-the-top marketing machines wedding magazines.  We've done and been to some truly classy weddings that were budget friendly and kept the newlyweds (and their parents) on financially stable ground.

Best wishes!

Message 5 of 7
william23
Regular Contributor

beamMEup Thanks for your advice sounds Like a plan! Thanks to the website my scores are going up slowly but it's happening!

Message 6 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Just a thought.  If you have any open credit accounts that are helping your score, you might want to consider adding your fiance as an AU (AFTER the bk is discharged).  You don't need to give your fiance the actual credit card, but just listing them as an AU could help rebuild their credit.  But not all accounts report AU's, just fyi.  I'm doing the same now.  Hubby and I filed bk in 2004.  I worked super hard to clean up my credit and am left with 2 baddies (one being the bk itself) on my reports.  I was able to GW lots of accounts and most fell off within the last year.  Hubbys CR is completely different.  His scores are in the upper 500's,  I've added him to a few of my good accounts as an AU and he's getting the benefit of those good tradelines.  But he's not getting the card!  Smiley Wink

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.