Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and Car Loan

tag
fdholmes1

Bankruptcy and Car Loan

Hi everyone,

I am in the gardening phase post bankruptcy.  I was discharged in 8/2011.  Right before bankruptcy I had to get a car, and I got an awful 24.9% interest rate!  My credit was bad, divorced, money gone trying to pay down my mortgage, so no one would finance me.  Now I am actually doing much better and wanted to try and regi my car.  Well it turns out that I cannot refi because I never reaffirmed the car loan.  So I did get a finance offer at 7.8% (which is great considering I am not 6 months at discharge) and I would like to take it.  I am underwater on my car now so I can't even trade it in.  Now I am wondering if I should try and turn it in or if I can go back and include it in the bankruptcy.  Not sure what to do here.  Any have any experience with this?

Starting Score: 533 (BK Ch7 discharge 8/2011
Current Score: 640
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy and Car Loan

If you never reaffirmed, call the bank and give it back.  They can't do anything to you.  Then go get your new one!

I am diabolically opposed to financing cars, but if you really HAVE to (as opposed to want to), try CapOne Auto Finance.  I hear they're giving out rates as low as 2.4% post BK.

Better plan:  Read the chapter in Total Money Makeover (Dave Ramsey) on how to self-finance a car, you'll be a million times better off and he doesn't even mention how much you save on car insurance.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.