cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
Hampton08

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

Since my last post, I've paid everything off except the Cap 1 with the balance transfer.

I' going to wait till the middle of next month to pull my FICO again.  Until then, I have been reading the posts from people that say they have scores in the 500, or the only card they have is a secured card or they have filed for bankruptcy, but its been some time, and that they recently applied for and were approved for a Citi card or a Chase Saphire card or a Discover Platinum card, with thousands of dollars as a credit limit.  A'm I doing something wrong or do they know something I don't or have I sinned in a previous life, or are none of these claims real?  Thanks!!Smiley Frustrated

Message 31 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hampton08 wrote:

Since my last post, I've paid everything off except the Cap 1 with the balance transfer.

I' going to wait till the middle of next month to pull my FICO again.  Until then, I have been reading the posts from people that say they have scores in the 500, or the only card they have is a secured card or they have filed for bankruptcy, but its been some time, and that they recently applied for and were approved for a Citi card or a Chase Saphire card or a Discover Platinum card, with thousands of dollars as a credit limit.  A'm I doing something wrong or do they know something I don't or have I sinned in a previous life, or are none of these claims real?  Thanks!!Smiley Frustrated

Hampton,

BK's are an issue in and of themselves for some card issuers.

I'm curious - which recent posts have you found where someone with a BK still reporting has been approved for Citi or Chase?

Discover may be a tad easier according to some older posts - but are there recent posts where someone with a BK still reporting has been approved for a Discover?

Message 32 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

so i filed bk 9/2011 and its supposed to be dc 12/27/11.. meantime.. i have opened 4 credit cards.. fp @ 700 cl.(they sent me a preapproval right after they updated my report as iib).. orchardbk @ 300 ...cap one sec mc 200cl w/49 deposit.. and a cfna firestone card @ 1000 cl.(they are bk friendly).. also have a student loan @ 1400.. not planning to get any more cards for a while.. but just wanted to say that if anyone looking to apply for any, those may be good starts.. my current scores are as of today.. tu 579 sq 446 ( still have accounts pending iib and deletion from being authorized user) and exp 530..

they arent great but i am happy that they all may be over 500 if eq hurry and do what the rest did and update with my disputes..i have been reading day after day on credit, i wont end up in the same boat again.. (lol) i also finally was approved for att with a 0 deposit 5 lines (using only 2) and 6 months ago they wanted a 1400 deposit.. so.. this is the beginning of my rebuilding and im happy to say that im off to a good start.

Message 33 of 690
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@beamMEup - If there weren't before, there are now:

I got approved for a Discover More $1000CL w/ a discharge BK that was only 11 mo old (discharge 12/2010, approval 11/2011).

I applied through one of thier click-through offers and it instantly came back with "While we could not approve you for those terms (7-17%), we'll gladly approve you with these terms (20.99%).  I said yes because I don't carry balances so interest rates don't bother me at all.

Other than being out of the country, it's my favorite card thus far.

-SM

EQ FICO: 664

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 34 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

question.. after a bk is discharged... does your credit report say discharged instead of filed..? and does your score change at all after it updates to discharged..(if it does)?

Message 35 of 690
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Wow...I will have to try for a Discover card after I come out of the gardening mode. That is at least encouraging to know that I don't have to be stuck with my Cap1 card forever!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 36 of 690
arlibguy
Valued Member

I was approved for a Citibank card in November 2010. At the time, I was 8 years post Ch 7 BK.

Starting Score: 10-2011 TU-08 FICO 725 (Walmart) / EQ FICO 683 (MyFICO)
Current Score: 10-2015 TU 780 / EQ 802 / EX 784 [Mortgage app]
Message 37 of 690
jeffrey930
Established Member

OMG!!! i'm so happy right now i just got approve for Discover More credit card 5% cash back limit $7500 and Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer credit card limit $2500. 

waiting for Citi AA advantage card approval, credit analyst mailed something for verification. I did a mini app this week to see if i could get approve with bankruptcy on my file.

My history file for bankruptcy 11/2004- discharge on 02/2005-----> will come off my credit file on 02/2015 can't wait. I figure if i get denied with all this application in 2 years the inquiry will be gone from my credit report. Anyways last sunday 01/8/2012 i decided to apply for Chase United mileage plus explorer due to the promotion they were having 50,000 miles for first purchase and other perks that goes with the card free lounge pass etc....i really wanted this card so bad that i know if i apply i would get denied 100% due to bankruptcy and 2 off the account was chase. So applied on sunday got the 30 day screen approval, so i waited for 2 days tuesday i called there reconsideration line to ask for update. I was hoping its a girl but i got a man credit analyst. so he ask a lot of question bankruptcy stuff why? told him lost my job..i told him i been a chase customer for over 10 years, and i have one chase credit card since 2006 it was WAMU became Chase din upgrade to Chase slate. credit guy said he will review my file again he said i cause chase to loss money before etc....and i only have 2 tradeline major credit card capital one and chase slate he need to see more tradeline....so i was not going anywhere this guy was not gonna approve me. so i said thank you and hang up. I was thinking i will try again tomorrow hoping i get a female credit analyst. went home sad about it i did not get approve. when i got home i decided to apply for discover since i got a letter for free approve 2 months ago, i figure i need to add more tradeline to my account. the problem was discover was part of my bankruptcy 5k charge off. so i apply nothing to lose got the review screen. later at night 8pm credit analyst called to verify my information approved me for the credit card $7500 did not even ask me about the bankrupcy.. the lady ask me if $7500 was enough i said its fine i was just happy they approve with BK. The same night i also applied for CITI AA advantage i figure they will not see the inquiry that i applied for discover.

Today at 1pm i called chase recon number again hoping for a good outcome. female credit analyst answered ask me all about the BK again reason for BK, 2 account from chase BK. i guess they kept a record on file because in all my credit report i have no more baddies only BK on it. everything else perfect payment. after all that she check my credit history from my chase card perfect payment auto loan no late etc...and finally she gave the VERY VERY good news she said i was approve for 1k at first, then she said wait let me see what i can do, and she came back with $2500 yahoo!!!!!!!!!!! im just happy i got approve i was happy with $1k.

Thats all guys thats my experience no more applying for credit card till my BK comes off the credit report. I was gonna call chase recon everyday till they approve me. Luckily only took 2 calls. Theres hope after BK. now ganden move for the next 3years. I hope my score would not go dow to 600 ish..........

My Credit Score Equifax 716      discover and citi pulled equifax

Transunion?    chase pulled transunion twice i dont get it  01/08 and 01/09/2012.

Experian?

my credit card---   capital one hassle rewards $3800 open on 2005

wamu/chase/chase slate-   $5100  open     2006

toyota auto loan                -                     open  2007

macy                                                         open   2009

GE banana republic visa version          open 2010

Message 38 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been lurking this forum forever. Here's my story. I applied for DISCOVER MORE and got denied over the phone. I'm fresh off  ch7 bk discharged 5/2011, I should've save the equifax hard inquiry. Will Discover reconsider my application if I call back and ask to speak with a credit analyst? I currently only have 1 positive tradeline, $500 CL with CapitalOne.

Current Fico:

Experian 635

Equifax 635

Transunion 605

Message 39 of 690
Hampton08

I donot know how you got approved for a chase card or a discover card with a BK still on your credit report.  When you apply on-line, one of the first questions they ask is if you have ever filed for BK.  This is an automatic denial.

Also I have NEVER, had a creditor call me at home to review my denied application or give it a second review, and then approve it over the phone and ask me if thats enough credit or do you need more, I mean come-on.

I have also never seen a credit score in the 700's with a BK on it.  If you were able to achieve these things I think that is wonderful.

Message 40 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.