Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
baglady215
Established Member

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@whitehat2 wrote:

@baglady215 wrote:

So far for me... Chapter 7 discharged April 2013 (6 months ago)

Cap One $1000 - approved 1 week after discharge, auto CLI to $2500 at 6 month mark (and they were included in my Ch 7!)

Credit One $400 - approved 1 month after discharge, auto CLI to $600 after 2 months (I will close this card at 1 year mark)

HSN $750 - approved via online offer while placing an order

Barclay Card $2500 - approved via mail offer 6 months after discharge

I think I'm good for a while, but any suggestions on where to go next?

Smiley Happy

Wow, that's so good for just 6 months out of BK. My first 6 months would have sucked if it wasn't for the secured cards I got. About the only unsecured credit I got within the first 6 months were Capital One and HSBC.. they were for $500 and $300 respectively.  Things really started to change after 1 year, though.

Now, 2 years and 2 months post BK7 I'm happily sitting with all 3 scores in the mid 700s (Tier 1) and roughly $150k~ of unsecured, revolving credit. Smiley Happy

Wow...  Congrats!  700 is my goal for now. Mid 700s must be nice!

Message 291 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

Well, finally got my discharge. Not sure where to really begin at this point. I guess first step will be to pull my reports and dispute stuff not showing in the bk. I got an offer for an auto loan, but no luck said all the banks advised my scores too low to approve me for anything. I will wait until next year and see what happens. I tried a couple of the pre-qual credit cards but nothing there even for secured. I will go with the progress secured or open sky secured to try and build something. I guess it's better than nothing. I will be gardening for a long time, my soil is too rocky to start planting. Smiley Surprised

Message 292 of 690
whitehat2
Established Member

@baglady215 wrote:

@whitehat2 wrote:

@baglady215 wrote:

So far for me... Chapter 7 discharged April 2013 (6 months ago)

Cap One $1000 - approved 1 week after discharge, auto CLI to $2500 at 6 month mark (and they were included in my Ch 7!)

Credit One $400 - approved 1 month after discharge, auto CLI to $600 after 2 months (I will close this card at 1 year mark)

HSN $750 - approved via online offer while placing an order

Barclay Card $2500 - approved via mail offer 6 months after discharge

I think I'm good for a while, but any suggestions on where to go next?

Smiley Happy

Wow, that's so good for just 6 months out of BK. My first 6 months would have sucked if it wasn't for the secured cards I got. About the only unsecured credit I got within the first 6 months were Capital One and HSBC.. they were for $500 and $300 respectively.  Things really started to change after 1 year, though.

Now, 2 years and 2 months post BK7 I'm happily sitting with all 3 scores in the mid 700s (Tier 1) and roughly $150k~ of unsecured, revolving credit. Smiley Happy

Wow...  Congrats!  700 is my goal for now. Mid 700s must be nice!

Thanks! It feels great not to get declined anymore lol

Message 293 of 690
whitehat2
Established Member

@mrsjr wrote:

@whitehat2 - What cards to you have?

Navy FCU - $80k

SchoolsFirst FCU $25k

Barclays $4k

Wells Fargo $3k

(4 different GECRB cards) $7k

Couple revolving lines of credit $30k

Message 294 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

@whitehat2 wrote:

@mrsjr wrote:

@whitehat2 - What cards to you have?

Navy FCU - $80k

SchoolsFirst FCU $25k

Barclays $4k

Wells Fargo $3k

(4 different GECRB cards) $7k

Couple revolving lines of credit $30k

Is your Wells TL secured or were you able to acquire that with BK still showing? Thanks and congrats on the progress!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 295 of 690
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ulanjac

You could also try SDFCU , their secured card has a 6.9% APR! no hp but it does not graduate.
Message 296 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

Thank you 09Lexie. I just opened the savings account with sdfcu. As soon as my deposit clears I will apply for the secured card.
Message 297 of 690
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone. I am new to the boards and posted my intro post here if you would like my full story of life so far after my Chapter 7 that was discharged in Aug of 2013. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Chap-7-Discharged-Aug-2013-rebuilding-now-with-4-new-card...

Using the information I recieved on this board, I applied for and was approved for 2 unsecured Cap One cards with $300 and $500 limits 2-3 weeks after my discharge date. A $400 Walmart card about 2 months after discharge and a Woman Within $250 card about 2 months after discharge. My husband has had much better luck and his story is in my post in the link above. Thank you to everyone for the information on this forum, it has been a real help. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 298 of 690
AllAboutCredit1

I recieved Chapter 7 discharge papers about 12/ 3 or 12/5. I had already been approved for the capital one SECURED about a month ago, but wasnt going to pull the trigger til I got my papers. But after literally searching every forum on here and other sites of BK Friendly cards, I was encouraged to apply. My last credit card was in 2008 or 2009. And in my BK I burned CitiBank, Us Bank (damn!) and Old Navy (which is GE Money bank). Burning old navy for 400 in college was the biggest mistake cuz now GE has everything I want like the Walmart card and they used to have Target. Anyway,  I went ahead to the capital one site for the pre-approval link. Only 3 cards showed( Platinum, classic platinum and the secured). I took the plunge and said what the heck and applied for the Platinum Card and im so used to the denial screen popping right up, but the screen redirected to the "enroll now" page and I almost fell off the couch. I got a instant approval for $300.00 limit and the credit steps program. I was also approved two weeks later with them for the Quicksilver for $500.00. I also have a $300.00 First Premier card, and I applied online for a Speedway card (everyone needs a gas card!) The speedway site just submits the app but does not provide ANY online info on whether u r approved or denied. It just says "we will be in touch" lol. But before work 12/20, I checked the mail and the speedway letter had a CARD in it. Was approved for $400.00 gas credit. I was also expecting a denial letter from Victorias Secret (wffnb) but they said they just need to verify my info. Its sunday so im so anxious to call tomorrow to see if im approved there too!!!!!!!! Yes, Im done applying for a while. im just happy.

Message 299 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

@AllAboutCredit1 wrote:

I recieved Chapter 7 discharge papers about 12/ 3 or 12/5. I had already been approved for the capital one SECURED about a month ago, but wasnt going to pull the trigger til I got my papers. But after literally searching every forum on here and other sites of BK Friendly cards, I was encouraged to apply. My last credit card was in 2008 or 2009. And in my BK I burned CitiBank, Us Bank (damn!) and Old Navy (which is GE Money bank). Burning old navy for 400 in college was the biggest mistake cuz now GE has everything I want like the Walmart card and they used to have Target. Anyway,  I went ahead to the capital one site for the pre-approval link. Only 3 cards showed( Platinum, classic platinum and the secured). I took the plunge and said what the heck and applied for the Platinum Card and im so used to the denial screen popping right up, but the screen redirected to the "enroll now" page and I almost fell off the couch. I got a instant approval for $300.00 limit and the credit steps program. I was also approved two weeks later with them for the Quicksilver for $500.00. I also have a $300.00 First Premier card, and I applied online for a Speedway card (everyone needs a gas card!) The speedway site just submits the app but does not provide ANY online info on whether u r approved or denied. It just says "we will be in touch" lol. But before work 12/20, I checked the mail and the speedway letter had a CARD in it. Was approved for $400.00 gas credit. I was also expecting a denial letter from Victorias Secret (wffnb) but they said they just need to verify my info. Its sunday so im so anxious to call tomorrow to see if im approved there too!!!!!!!! Yes, Im done applying for a while. im just happy.

Congarst on the approvals and recent discharge! Sounds like it is time to garden those new cards and lt them age a bit. Make sure to use them right and try to get the limits to grow with you that way you dont get stuck with a bunch of toy limit cards.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 300 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.