Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@ulanjac wrote:
I'm 6 months past discharge and I've started gardening. I have a Peebles store card 300 cl through comenity bank, a $2500 credit builder loan through my cu at work and I just purchased a car with GM Financial with a 9% interest rate. I didn't set out to get a car loan, but my car engine blew and it was the better alternative than to keep patching the old one up. Any suggestions on how long to wait before adding anything else?

You should defnitely try to get a credit card into your credit mix.....This will help you in your rebuilding process. If you did not burn Capital One, I would recommend trying to get one of their cards. Also you could check if your credit union offers secured credit cards. For best results you might want to space your application out for six months to allow positve payment history from your existing payment to reflect on your credit reports.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 411 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

I did burn cap one but they have sent me a secured card offer. My credit union does not offer credit cards. Thanks for the advise. I will wait 6 months to let my car payment report positively before applying for any other cards. I have had the Peebles account for 6 months
Message 412 of 690
Laura1369
Regular Contributor

Bankruptcy filed 2/29/12. Discharged 6/18/12. USAA secured MasterCard for 500 11/12. No further credit applications until 2/4/14 and only because I had to. 500 care credit card so I could pay for emergency vet care. Today I applied for and got a 1000 capital one classic platinum card! I also have my prequal for a VA Mortgage for 160,000. preapproval paperwork sent back to Veterans United last Friday! When it comes back, I can go under contract on the 19th after my BK is 24 months from discharge. 

Prebankruptcy all 3 scores were below 500. I don't have exact numbers but I do know one was as low as 405.

As of last Monday my official mortgage pulls were as follows. Equifax- 675, experian- 668 Transunion- 691! 

Message 413 of 690
bunga7
Regular Contributor

Very well done. Congratulations!

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 414 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

Checked my Community bank Peebles card today they've raised my cl by 200
Message 415 of 690
somotao
Frequent Contributor

@ulanjac wrote:
Checked my Community bank Peebles card today they've raised my cl by 200

Congrats

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 416 of 690
whitehat2
Established Member

@whitehat2 wrote:

@whitehat2 wrote:

Has anyone tried applying for the Secured BofA card???

I applied a few days ago assuming I would get denied since I BK'ed them for $25k 11 years ago but, they just electronically debited my checking account today!  I'm trying so hard not to get excited here until the status page actually says "approved" even though I saw this amazing snippet on their secured card application:

"Your security deposit will be transferred when your new account is approved."

Does anyone have any experiences applying for the bofa secured card? if so, please shed some light on this for me!

Dying to call them tomorrow morning  *anxious*

Just thought I'd update you guys..... 

I called this morning and I was told I was APPROVED!!!!!  Holy sh*t!!!  hahahaha I feel dumb since I already have a ton of credit and I really don't need this card but, I suppose I see it as a badge of honor (despite that it's a secured card, for now) reflecting my best efforts to rebuild my credit as perfectly as possible.

Just so you all know in case you're looking to apply:

1. They pull experian

2. My current experian score is 724

3. Debt to credit ratio 11%

4. Been out of BK 2.5 years

5. Currently have single trade lines with up to $50,000 limits

Just wanted to report back on my BofA Secured card for those who were wondering what happened with it. Smiley Happy

I called this morning to see if they would unsecure my card and after a very long review over the phone, the credit analyst unsecured my card AND increased my limit to $25,000!!!  It seems the account has to have a minimum of six statements generated (along with the obvious good history) to unsecure the account.  It was my intention to get this account unsecured as quickly as possible and get a limit increase, so I was using 50-60% of my credit lmit and PIF the day my statement generated. 

It looks like BofA is BK friendly Smiley Very Happy

Message 417 of 690
TryingtoRebuild2

I almost applied for a credit card with our CU today, but decided to wait. We belong to MidFlorida CU and have a checking/savings account with them. I have searched high and low for anything on them being BK friendly, but I can't find any info on it. We were discharged 10/1/13 and I have no idea when to apply with them. I have a Barclay card with 2k limit, and DH has a Cap1 with 1.3k limit and Barclay with 1k limit. Both of our scores are between 615-650 with perfect reporting on the CC and Auto Loan since the  discharge. The Barclays are newer (I think we got them in March). Any advice? I know most credit unions are more lenient with their credit, but I would hate to waste the HPs for nothing :/

Message 418 of 690
LeonSandcastle
Established Member

@Scupra wrote:

Ok, so I know Barclay's is BK friendly but has anyone taken a shot at the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard? I know it is one of their prime cards but was just wondering if anybody had personal experience. Thanks everyone!

Chapter 13 discharged 1.5 years ago and just got approved for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard with a $5000 limit.  For a little history, the BK was discharged in December 2012, and I had already established a couple Capital One cards (1 secured and 1 unsecured) and an Orchard Bank card. 

Paid off the BK early because I wanted to purchase a house while the rates were low, but ended up needing to repair some credit items that were still causing issues and finally closed in May of last year (just barely got in on 3.25% before rates started to climb Smiley Happy)  Right after closing last May I applied for a BarclayCard Rewards Card, a Discover IT, and a rewards card at my local Credit Union.  My scores were in the 650-670 range at the time, and I was approved (not instantly online but I called in right after) for the Barclays with I think a $750 limit, approved at the CU for $5000, and turned down by Discover (told me on the phone they'd like to see a little more time after the BK discharge).

Over the next few months I received 2 automatic CLIs on the BarclayCard Rewards, the 1st one was to I think $1500 and the second one to $5300.

In February of this year, I reapplied for the Discover IT and applied for the Capital One QuickSilver.  This time I was approved for the Discover IT ($1000 limit), and turned down for the Capital One Quicksilver.  When I got the denial letter from Cap One though, the reason given was that I had too many Capital One cards.  I immediately closed my Capital One secured card, and contacted the Capital One Executive Office by email.  They called me back and approved me for the Quicksilver One card at a $2000 limit.

I was planning on waiting a year before applying for anything else, but we had to purchase a vehicle last month so I minimized my utilization and found that my scores had climbed into the low 700s (with the exception of TU which is somehow up to 733 even with the Bankruptcy still reporting).  Got approved with BMW Financial at 2.99% and decided that since I now had hard inquires, I'd see if I could upgrade my cards a bit while I was at it, soin the past few days I did a mini app spree.

Applied for an SSFCU Power Travel World Mastercard and was approved for $3000.

Applied for a Chase Freedom and was not immediately approved.  Called in and talked to a rep, who said he would refer me for an approval despite the BK.  I was excited, but then found out I was approved for $500.  Oh well.  I'll spends my $300 on it for the $100 cash back, and take advantage of the 5% catagories.  Hopefully it'll grow, though from what I'm reading Chase is a little stingy with CLIs.

Called Discover for a CLI.  Asked for $10k, they bumped my from $1000 to $5000.

Applied online for a CLI on my QuickSilver One.  Didn't get an instant approval and they won't tell me anything over the phone, so don't know the status on that.

Last, I applied for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard last night.  Again, no immediate approval but called the Credit Analyst this morning.  They asked me a few questions, put me on hold to review my credit and my history with BarclayCard, and came back and gave me the approval.

I think I'm set for a while, unless anyone has any suggestions of something I should apply for while I'm racking up inquiries.  As far as I know, this is about as well as I'm going to do until the Bankruptcy falls off, as the 2 cards I really want - The Costco Amex and the Amazon Visa (spend a ton at both places) - Are both BK Unfriendly.

Anyone have any suggestions of other good cards that aren't an automatic denial with a past BK before I call it quits for a year or 2? 

Message 419 of 690
LeonSandcastle
Established Member

Add a Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature with a $7500 limit to that.  Figured I'd join and establish a relationship while I'm at it for a future app, but then saw that they don't do an additional credit pull and applied.  

Got the approval and also applied to refi my car down from 6.70% to 2.99%.  Application is pending and should hear within 24 hours.

Message 420 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.