Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
sebonne1
Valued Member

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@ulanjac wrote:

Thank you! I am excited. I have a membership with TU credit monitoring and I just updated my credit score and report for the 1st time since July 10 and my score went from 514 to 633. My very old BK finally fell off and also my monthly payments went down too. I cannot wait to get some history reporting on my bureaus to boost my score even more. Does anyone know if the scores on the TU credit monitoring are true Fico scores that lenders see?

First, congrats - I am excited for you!    Your questions are answered throughout this board, but the answer is no, the scores on TU credit monitoring are not true FICO scores.  Lenders use variations of FICO scores and it is best to try to find out which one the lender you are trying to use will pull.   Here is an amazing thread about FICO scores that I think anyone who cares about their credit score should take the time to read!  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-version...

Starting Score:9/2013 630
Current Score: 2/2015 myFICO scores: EQ 730 EX 734 TU 734
Goal Score: 760

:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 481 of 690
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

for me limits started at

Capitol one secured 3 months out 300

capitol one platinum 6 months out 500

13 months barclay 1300

24 months indiana members 5k

25 months forum credit union 12k

26 months wal-mart and lowe's (joke of a credit line)

28 months upromise 800

anything differing from signature below have been cli's

Message 482 of 690
misssararae

Feeling discouraged so far no luck with Capital One or Barclay's.  I might just have to go the secured route.

Filed BK7: 05/05/14 Discharged: 08/25/14
FICO Scores 09/16/14: EQ 566
Message 483 of 690
Desiflavour101
Established Member

Don't be discouraged.

I am part of the group that couldn't get approved for Cap One right after my bankruptcy. I was rejected for their secured card as well.

Barclays' won't approve you until you have 2-3 TLs on 6-months payment history. Customer rep told me along with other members on this part of the forum.

I had First Prem and First Nat'l as a start-up. Hated the fees but having the cards helped me get approved for Barc before Cap One. Having Barc helped me get approved for 2 Cap One cards. Just recently I closed the 2 Firsts before I was assessed the annual fee.

Do you have Cr One? That helps too.

**Gardening until Sept. 2016...**
BK 7: Filed March 2013/Discharged June 2013
FICO Score: 580 at the start
Barclay Rewards VISA $2,500, Barclay Rewards MC $2,300, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,750, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,500, Care Credit $2,000, Fortiva $4,000, & Walmart $1,200.
Message 484 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

Don't be discouraged. I didn't get Cap one until last month and my BK was discharged back in November of last year. It keep giving me the could not find an offer message on the pre-qual screen. I finally bit the bullet and pressed the option to apply for the quicksilver card and was approved. A week later I applied for and was approved for the Cap one platinum card. It takes patience but it will happenm I was denied the Barclay's card due to not having Amy credit card accounts. So now that I have those I'll garden for 6 months and then try forntje Barclay's card.
Message 485 of 690
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@ulanjac wrote:
Don't be discouraged. I didn't get Cap one until last month and my BK was discharged back in November of last year. It keep giving me the could not find an offer message on the pre-qual screen. I finally bit the bullet and pressed the option to apply for the quicksilver card and was approved. A week later I applied for and was approved for the Cap one platinum card. It takes patience but it will happenm I was denied the Barclay's card due to not having Amy credit card accounts. So now that I have those I'll garden for 6 months and then try forntje Barclay's card.

Barclay wants at least 6 months 12 being preferable

Message 486 of 690
ulanjac
Established Member

Thank you. I'm thinking that I won't apply for any more credit until this time next year or later.
Message 487 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm about a month out of filling for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy:

That bankruptcy is listed on my credit report as of 8/29/14

Here's what I've seen so far:

My scores jumped from around 550 to anywhere from 625 to 643 with the 3 bureaus.

I didn't think this is possible, so I applied for 3 credit cards:

Capital One Quicksilver - Instantly approved with $1,000 credit line

Capital One Platinum - Instantly approved with $500 credit line

Barclays Card - Denied

What should I do going forward? Cool it for a while? Or are there any other cards that I should try for?

Message 488 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm about a month out of filling for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy:

That bankruptcy is listed on my credit report as of 8/29/14

Here's what I've seen so far:

My scores jumped from around 550 to anywhere from 625 to 643 with the 3 bureaus.

I didn't think this is possible, so I applied for 3 credit cards:

Capital One Quicksilver - Instantly approved with $1,000 credit line

Capital One Platinum - Instantly approved with $500 credit line

Barclays Card - Denied

What should I do going forward? Cool it for a while? Or are there any other cards that I should try for?

have you been discharged?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 489 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to this forum, hello everyone. After making poor choices in my past, filed for chapter 7 in March 2013, discharged in June 2013. I received the following credit cards since discharge, first premier $700.00 this was 3 months after discharge, credit one $300.00 4 months after discharge, fingerhut, started with fresh steps, walmart $400.00 Feb'14, Target $300.00 June '14, Firestone $1200 May'14, Gettington $300 Aug'14 oh and Barclays was in Feb'14 $750.00. Now I have been denied for cards as well, was denied for Capital One, both secured and not secured, Khols, and Discover this month, Discover's main reason was for Bankruptcy! Denied for JC Pennys as well. I am having a very hard time getting any credit increases, my highest credit line is $1200. I keep 50-60% utilization and have 19 inquiries. I am working on getting my utilization down to 30%. Also yesterday tried applying for a new car, forget it, 5 different banks added to my already long list of inquiries, and best rate was 11.99%, think I will wait another year.

I did include Capital One in bk, for $300.00 and get the preapproval from them and once they even sent me the card, then they close the account before I could activate it, for some reason I am blacklisted with them. I pay way more than my minimum and never have maxed out my Walmart, but on the 4th statement, no love, called backdoor and denied an increase. Same with Barclays.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time.

Message 490 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.