Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
Vegasr
Regular Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@LeonSandcastle - I think you should stand pat and let those great cards you recenlty got age. Be good with the Chase Freedom and it will lead you to a CSP in the future.

Embarrassing amount of credit cards
AoOA: 25yrs
Message 421 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

Good work Leon! Congrats on all the success. I applied for arrival 2/14 and was instant approved for $3k. Hopefully I'll get some auto luv at 6 months
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 422 of 690
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Leon,  great job!!! Scupra, I have a Barclay's Ring card. With an APR of 8%, this is my favorite card.  I feel I'm in prime card state now.

I definitely believe Barclay is BK friendly and they are my favorite bank now!!!

Message 423 of 690
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

How often have you guys seen CLIs with Barclays? Just got one with them for 1750 Friday. Would love to see it grow if and make it my daily driver if they are friendly with the CLIs....
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 424 of 690
LeonSandcastle
Established Member

I've had my Barclay's Rewards for about 14 months now, and I've received 3 Auto-CLIs now.  If I remember correctly, they were from either $750 or $1000 to $1500, to $5300, to $5800 (that last one is brand new, I just noticed it yesterday and it may have been done at the same time they added the Arrival).

Vegasr - I agree, I'm good for a couple of years.  In my little spree I did also add a Sams Club Mastercard ($2500) mostly for buying gas at Sams and personal shopping we do there to seperate it from our business spending, and a Kohl's charge card ($1000), which I decided to add because I buy all my clothes there and you need the card to use the 30% off coupons they offer their cardholders.  I was tempted to apply for a Barclay's Sallie Mae card for rewards on Amazon, but I decided I didn't want to risk looking greedy to them and possibly losing the approval I had just received on the Arrival Elite, so I guess good Amazon rewards will be a goal for the future Smiley Happy  All in all, I applied for a little more than I felt comfortable with, but the inquiries were pretty well spread out across the 3 bureaus, 4 on TU, 3 on Experian, 2 on Equifax.  Not that it matters much since I don't need any new credit, but I was already taking the inquiry/new account hit on my scores anyway because of a lot of new credit opened in 2013 and earlier this year.

The timing of this works out perfectly for me, as I shouldn't need to apply for any credit whatsoever in the next 2 years, and both my Chapter 13 and the Tax Lien that helped cause it should fall off in the spring of 2016, so at the 2 year mark my credit report should be completely clean and I'll be able to upgrade a couple cards at that point.

In the meantime, I figure I'll just use that Chase heavily when I first get it for the signing bonus, and then use it once a month for a purchase under $50 until hopefully they raise the limit a bit. 

The only thing I'm wondering about is my Capital One accounts.  I still have a Cap One Platinum ($3000) which is now basically useless, but it's my oldest open recolving account by a pretty decent amount.  I'd just leave it open, but it has a $19 annual fee which just hit June 19th.  I see no reason now to close it until next May, but I'm wondering if I should do that, or if the $19 is worth it just to keep that history going.  Then I have the QuickSilver One account which has a $39 annual fee that will come up in March and only a $2000 limit.  With the other cards I have now, I don't know how much use it'll get.  Guess I'll play that by ear, but I'll eventually have to close one of them to be able to apply for a better Cap One card in the future.

Message 425 of 690
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I just wanted to make a comment on Capital One and getting a card from them if they were IIB.....................My husband and I both had Cap One cards that were IIB that was discharged in Aug of 2013, we went to their website and used the preapproval checker and both of us received the "We couldn't match your records to a card offer, but we think you might like" message and decided to apply for the card that was in the top box. We were both approved instantly online, I was approved for $300 unsecured and my husband was too. I applied for a second card with them (the other one on the list) a few days later and was approved for $500 unsecured, my husband waited for a month to apply for his second card and was approved for $2000 unsecured! So, just because they were IIB doesn't necessarily mean you can't get approved again. We were, and our cards have received one CLI each.........the $300 card went to $1600 6 months later and the $500 card went to $2500 6 months later through their Credit Steps program. My husband's $300 card went to $1300 and his $2000 card went to $3000 6 months later. From everything I have read, I am not expecting another CLI, EVER with them but I am happy with what I have for now to rebuild with. We both used the cards heavily, sometimes for 2-3 times our CL each month and made several payments a month to keep the balance under 50% at all times. Each month, we let 10% - 15% balance report to the CR's. 

As far as Barclay's is concerned, we both applied for the Barclay Rewards card a couple of months after our BK discharged and were initially denied so we waited until 6 months after discharge (Feb 2104) and reapplied...............we were both approved online...........mine was approved for $1300 and my husband was approved for $1500. We are hoping to see a CLI soon, fingers crossed.  

in adddition to Cap One and Barclay's, I was approved online for a Walmart card ($500 limit) 2 months after discharge and an Amazon card ($700 limit) 6 months after discharge. Both of those cards have already had CLI's.............Walmart has given me 2 CLI's and it is now $1800, Amazon has given me 1 CLI and it is now $1900. I used both cards every month and carried about 10%-15% balance at all times on both cards. I put about $300 a month through each card every month and paid it down to about 10% every month through frequent online payments. I have always had the belief that these companies like to make interest and that is why I leave a small balance reporting, hoping they will be happy to make the interest and be nice with the CLI's. I know my thinking is probably skewed but so far it has worked. 

I also have a Lowe's card that I was just approved for last month ($900 limit) and 2 Comenity Bank cards (Woman Within and Roaman's) with $250 limits. My husband also applied for Lowe's and Amazon and was declined for both but he was approved for HSN for $750. We both signed up for several of the companys listed on the Shopping Cart Trick page and we both received pop-ups with pre-approvals for several of them.....VS, Buckle, Express, etc.......but we declined to take the cards. We just wanted to see if we could get the preapproval to pop up and they did. Not all of them gave a preapproval but at least 5 did. We are waiting for the day when the My Points, Total Rewards, or Sportsman's Guide preapprovals pop up!!! Those we WILL take. :-) I am figuring it will be another year or more before that happens. Once our scores are north of 700, I have a feeling more possibilities will open up.

As soon as we received our cards, we both added each other as AU's to all of the cards that offered that feature. We each have about $8000 in total revolving credit but because we are AU's on most of each other's cards, our total revolving credit shows as approx. $14K+ on our CR's. I think this has also helped us tremendously. On paper, it looks like we each have $14K+ in revolving credit with only about $900 reporting each month (on average) so that is about 6% - 7% total util reporting. :-)  We have been using our CC's to pay for ALL of our monthly expenses, everything from utilities and gas to groceries and HOA fees. We are able to show good usage on the cards, without adding to our monthly expenses. Killing two birds with one stone. 

I am happy with what I have and plan to app for a Discover Card late next year. Otherwise, I believe I have about as much as humanly possible with my BK reporting. My current scores are in the mid 600's but they were in the low 500's a few weeks after BK discharged, or at least that is what was on our reports when we bought our new car in Sept of 2013. We got financed through Cap One with a 15.69% APR with zero down. I spoke with our local credit union and they said they will refi our car with a 4.85% APR the day after we are 1 year past discharge. They already did a soft pull and said as long as we don't have a major credit issue between now and Aug 27th, we will get approved to refi our auto loan with them. She also said that we can get an unsecured credit card with them, 2 years after discharge and they give very nice starting limits and increases, we just have to wait for another year. 

So, all in all, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. If I would have taken the advice of my friends and family, I would never have even attempted to apply for any unsecured cards so soon after BK. Thankfully, I was able to educate myself throught this board to know who I had a chance with and who I didn't have a chance with. I was also able to avoid falling for one of those rip-off cards like First Premiere. I figured, I will apply for unsecured with Cap One and if I am not approved, I will just go to my local CU and start with a secured card. Luckily, we were approved and the rest is history. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 426 of 690
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

I forgot to mention, I called Cap One last month to ask for a duplicate card because my dog chewed up the edge of one of my cards and they told me that my account qualified for an upgrade to the Quick Silver card on both accounts. I accepted and switched both cards to QS. They also told me that there was no AF on either card!!!! Yay! I did verify that they are now QS cards, NOT QS One cards. I am not sure if this changes anything as far as future CLI's are concerned but I am hoping that the PC got me out of the Credit Steps card. I asked the rep and she said they were still Credit Step cards, so we will see.

I had my husband call the next week to see if his cards also could be PC'd and they PC'd his cards to QS One, not QS and he still has an AF on both cards....strange....I am not sure why they offered him something different than me. At least he is earning rewards now. :-)  

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 427 of 690
LeonSandcastle
Established Member

Diva,

There must be something about your credit they like better than his.  It's the same with my wife and I, I seem to be a step ahead of her despite having the same credit history.  The only real difference between our credit is that I'm an autorized user on an AMEX card with a high limit that has been open since the 70's, so my scores are a bit higher.

As far as the Dicover goes, Id' be surprised if you had to wait another year to get the Discover IT.  When I was 1st denied, they specifically told me during the recon that they wanted a year since discharge, and when I applied once a year had passed I was approved.  It's an awesome card that grows, and I'd bet you qualify in 2 months once you have the year behind you.

Message 428 of 690
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

You are right, Leon. Our mortgage was in his name only and while we choose to stay and pay, the mortgage is listed as IIB on his reports and does not even appear on mine. However, he has a higher FICO than mine by over 25 points across the board and his AAOA is twice what mine is, and his total monthly payments are 25% less than what mine shows, so who knows what they are looking at. LOL

You are probably right, I would probably qualify for the Discover card sooner than a year from now but I have 8 credit cards now and all of them are less than a year old so I will wait until at least Jan of next year to apply. Right now, I am just hoping to get my CLI from Barclay's. We opened the accounts in Feb so I am crossing my fingers for a CLI by Aug or Sept. After that, I may apply for the Discover Card. :-) 

Message 429 of 690
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, everybody I have been reading everyone's post and I'm happy to say that I was approved for a Captial One credit card to rebuild my credit and it's wonderful thanks for the encouraging words and help.

Message 430 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.