Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

tag
Ingenieux

Re: Bankruptcy friendly credit cards

@shols44 wrote:

Thanks for the insight! 

I've heard that Capital One is notorious for not wanting to budge on increasing credit lines--do you really think that they'd increase both of my cards (now that they own my Orchard Bank card)? I've heard a lot of opinions on the contrary. 

Do you have an opinion on which Barclaycards to pursue? I'm considering the barclaycard rewards (avg credit) and the barclaycard issued for apple. After that, I don't plan on getting anymore cards for a while. 

I'm pretty certain if you go the EO route, capital one will increase both lines. Those accounts have performed well for four years. They will definitely budge. Ask for 5K each, expect 2.5-3K increase. Just forget the frontline guys and email EO directly. 

I got the Barclays NFL and the US Airways cards. I think the rewards card and apple card are easier to get from anecdotal data. I'd say go for the rewards card. You can always try to PC after a year. Also barclays will pull TU most likely. Just expect to recon and have explanations for anything they might throw at you. The easy one is why do you want the card: I love the blah blah blah....and the sign on blah blah....you get the picture?

Let us know how it goes. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what does EO stand for?

Also, do you have the contact info for EO? 

Thanks! 

Message 171 of 690
somotao
Frequent Contributor

I actually went with the Barclays Applecard because from my understanding it was one of the easy cards barclays offers and also I had some apple products that i needed to purchase. Others were were successful in getting the barclays rewards card which I would have preferred. 

Discover on the other hand is a hit or miss for some, I would recommend making sure your utilization is low if you decide to apply. I do not know much about the student version of their card. However I believe that Discover would still go through the same decision logic and look at your post BK credit in order to determine if you will be approved or not.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 172 of 690
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Ingenieux wrote:

@shols44 wrote:

Thanks for the insight! 

I've heard that Capital One is notorious for not wanting to budge on increasing credit lines--do you really think that they'd increase both of my cards (now that they own my Orchard Bank card)? I've heard a lot of opinions on the contrary. 

Do you have an opinion on which Barclaycards to pursue? I'm considering the barclaycard rewards (avg credit) and the barclaycard issued for apple. After that, I don't plan on getting anymore cards for a while. 

I'm pretty certain if you go the EO route, capital one will increase both lines. Those accounts have performed well for four years. They will definitely budge. Ask for 5K each, expect 2.5-3K increase. Just forget the frontline guys and email EO directly. 

I got the Barclays NFL and the US Airways cards. I think the rewards card and apple card are easier to get from anecdotal data. I'd say go for the rewards card. You can always try to PC after a year. Also barclays will pull TU most likely. Just expect to recon and have explanations for anything they might throw at you. The easy one is why do you want the card: I love the blah blah blah....and the sign on blah blah....you get the picture?

Let us know how it goes. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what does EO stand for?

Also, do you have the contact info for EO? 

Thanks! 

EO stands for executive office. I sent you a PM.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 173 of 690
Hampton08

Has anyone applied for the Mutual of Omaha card issued by ATRIA Bank ( A divsion of TMG GRoup).

Their application is very vage (quite simple) and when I called with questions about the card and bank the rep really couldn't answer my questions.

I never heard of the bank and I don't want to applie for a card that doesn't stand a chance of being approved, because of the hard inquiry.

But it was on the MyFico recommended list.  What do you think.     THANKS!!

Message 174 of 690
Scupra
Super Contributor

@somotao wrote:

I actually went with the Barclays Applecard because from my understanding it was one of the easy cards barclays offers and also I had some apple products that i needed to purchase. Others were were successful in getting the barclays rewards card which I would have preferred. 

Discover on the other hand is a hit or miss for some, I would recommend making sure your utilization is low if you decide to apply. I do not know much about the student version of their card. However I believe that Discover would still go through the same decision logic and look at your post BK credit in order to determine if you will be approved or not.

From what I have seen it seems that the Apple card is issued with a higher limt. If that matters to you all Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 175 of 690
StevenMDG
Valued Member

I always enjoy reading the great advice from the people who have been thorugh it already. My BK ch7 was from mounting medical bills one huge one with DFAS(Defense Financing ......) After I got out of the Army had some health issues and 6 years later they wanted to put a forced deduction from my pay of 400 every paycheck. left me no choice but to file ch 7.

Now that I have been discharged and it is 2 months past the amount for that specific medical bill still shows on my report I disputed it and said it was covered in BK, which it was but they verified and even though it says BK the amount still shows. Any way I have unfortunately got one ding on there from a medical since I filled in October. It took longer for my discharge because I was waiting for a re-affirmation appointment for my house. Any way long story short I am paying that medical bill slowly but it is on my credit. and everything else shows as BK. I want to start rebuilding but do not want to get allot of dings on credit applying for the worng things. since BK takes all CC in one swoop it took my store cards (walmart, VS, Kohls, Buckle) both Capital one cards and my bestbuy rewards MC. Since the medical is recent should I wait before applying for something. Do i have to start with a secured card. any advice in the way or direction I should go would be much appreciated.

Message 176 of 690
starry1
Valued Contributor

My impression on Mutual of Omaha was that it was for excellent credit, so probably not bk-friendly.  Just do a search on the credit cards forum.

@Hampton08 wrote:

Has anyone applied for the Mutual of Omaha card issued by ATRIA Bank ( A divsion of TMG GRoup).

Their application is very vage (quite simple) and when I called with questions about the card and bank the rep really couldn't answer my questions.

I never heard of the bank and I don't want to applie for a card that doesn't stand a chance of being approved, because of the hard inquiry.

But it was on the MyFico recommended list.  What do you think.     THANKS!!

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 177 of 690
stormb28
New Contributor

I really want to app for the BOA $99/$500 card. Im 18 months post BK. My util is 4.8%, AAoA is 1 yr, 1 month. Scores are 690+ on TU and EQ.

Should I pull the trigger?
Message 178 of 690
whitehat

Barclay is a BK friendly bank.  I just got approved for their Arrival MasterCard with a $3,500 limit (my lowest credit limit but, not bad).  My BK was discharged 22 months ago and my credit util is less than 2%.

If you are able to join Navy Federal Credit Union; I suggest trying them.  I got their secured card the same month my BK was discharged, they unsecured my card right at my 1 year anniversary and now my credit limit is $40k.

Another BK friendly credit union if you are able to join is SchoolsFirst FCU.  Had a similar experience with them; got their secured card, they graduated my card to unsecured within 6 months and bumped my credit line from $2k to $25k.

Hope that helps.

Message 179 of 690
StevenMDG
Valued Member

I think I will go and join navy federal they are just down the street and have heard good things from them. As far as montioring credit and determining when is best to apply is it best to get the score watch from myfico? is it an accurate score?

Message 180 of 690
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.