cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy removal - when does this really come off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy removal - when does this really come off?

Hello,

I have read, read and read some more.  Here is my situation.

I have been discharged from Bankruptcy and in Canada removal from Equifax is 6 years from the date of discharge.

I was discharged March 2004, therefore 6 years will be March 2010.  I have spoken too Equifax customer service and they told me they are not sure when it will come off between now and then or even by April 1.

What are your experiences with this thing coming off of your credit files?  I know in the U.S. they remain on longer however the date of removal should be the same thing between the two countries as the automated systems are very similar from what I have read.

Will this come off as of midnight   February 28, 2010 or will I have to wait til the end of March?

Thanks guys for all of your help Smiley Happy

Joe

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bankruptcy removal - when does this really come off?

Hello and welcome.

Chapter 7 remains for 10 years from the filing date. Chapter 13 remains seven years from the filing date. Accounts included in bankruptcy will remain seven years from the date they were reported as included in the bankruptcy.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know in the U.S. that is the case, however my question was in regarsd to the removal timing.

In Canada, Chapter 7 is after 6 years it will be removed from Equifax, but since the U.S. and Canadian Equifax systems are quite similar, I was wondering if the discharge date was in March, and by using the U.S. guidelines, 10 years would be as of March 2010 if the thing would come off on February 28 or the end of March??

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I know in the U.S. that is the case, however my question was in regarsd to the removal timing.

In Canada, Chapter 7 is after 6 years it will be removed from Equifax, but since the U.S. and Canadian Equifax systems are quite similar, I was wondering if the discharge date was in March, and by using the U.S. guidelines, 10 years would be as of March 2010 if the thing would come off on February 28 or the end of March??

Thanks Smiley Happy

I remain confused. Did you file in the U.S.? The filing date and discharge date are two different things. When was the actual filing date? If you filed (for instance) in 1/ 2004 then a Chapter 7 BK will be removed in 1/2014. If it is Chapter 13 the BK will be gone in 1/2011.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, sorry about the confusion. I filed in Canada and am from Canada so under the 6 years from date of discharge which is coming up as of March 2010.

I know the U.S. and Canadian Equifax systems are somewhat similar so my question was relating to the removal of the bankruptcy.  Lets say I were a U.S. citizen and filed in the U.S. and as of March 2010 it would be 10 years from date of discharge when would this come off of my credit file?

Thanks..

Its been a long week lol

Joe

Message 5 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, sorry about the confusion. I filed in Canada and am from Canada so under the 6 years from date of discharge which is coming up as of March 2010.

I know the U.S. and Canadian Equifax systems are somewhat similar so my question was relating to the removal of the bankruptcy.  Lets say I were a U.S. citizen and filed in the U.S. and as of March 2010 it would be 10 years from date of discharge when would this come off of my credit file?

Thanks..

Its been a long week lol

Joe

Filing date and discharge date are not the same. Under the U.S. system Chapter 7 BK would come off 10 years to the month after you filed, not the month of discharge.

Message Edited by marinevietvet on 02-19-2010 07:41 PM
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so in theory, if I declared bankruptcy January 2000, and was discharged March 2000, then this would come off of my credit report as soon as the clock hit March 1st, 2010 right? 

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, so in theory, if I declared bankruptcy January 2000, and was discharged March 2000, then this would come off of my credit report as soon as the clock hit March 1st, 2010 right? 

Thanks for your help.

If you filed Chapter 7 BK in 1/2000 then it will come off in 1/2010, not 3/2010. It is timed from the filing date not the discharge date.

Message 8 of 30
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Here in the USA, bankruptcy removal date, time starts counting from the date filed..........Not the date discharged like in Canada. 
The credit bureau's here use month/year format, not a specific day of the month or time of day. 
The credit bureau has the whole month to remove an item from the CR. Referring  to your post above, if filed bankruptcy Ch7 Jan 2000, then the date of removal would be  ANY time in Jan 2010. 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have read, read and read some more.  Here is my situation.

I have been discharged from Bankruptcy and in Canada removal from Equifax is 6 years from the date of discharge.

I was discharged March 2004, therefore 6 years will be March 2010.  I have spoken too Equifax customer service and they told me they are not sure when it will come off between now and then or even by April 1.

What are your experiences with this thing coming off of your credit files?  I know in the U.S. they remain on longer however the date of removal should be the same thing between the two countries as the automated systems are very similar from what I have read.

Will this come off as of midnight   February 28, 2010 or will I have to wait til the end of March?

Thanks guys for all of your help Smiley Happy

Joe

It appears that everybody is missing the point.

Jow wants to know if EQ removes things exactly on the date they are scheduled to drop.

I am not at all sure about BKs, but I do know that inquiries usually drop at the end of the month and even can remain until a week or two into the following month.  For example, if you have an inquiry on January 1st, 2008 that is scheduled to remain on your report for two years, it often will not drop until January 31st, 2010 or even, at times, until February 10th, 2010. 

I am not sure if they do that with BKs, though.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.