Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy went through, didn't reaffirm car

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy went through, didn't reaffirm car

Hi all,

My banruptcy was finalized on 12/4 and I didn't reaffirm my car.   I have not gotten any letter from them(Condor Captial) and they have not taken my car.   Has anyone else experienced this?  I figured I'm just going to keep as long as I can and then get a new car.   The one thing that is odd is that the finance company (Condor Capital) went out of business - actually the government demanded that they cease operations because they were overcharging customers so I'm thinking maybe they will never get the car?  I'm not going to call them because I still want to keep the car for as long as possible.    Anyone else experience this and can tell me what to expect?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy went through, didn't reaffirm car

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

My banruptcy was finalized on 12/4 and I didn't reaffirm my car.   I have not gotten any letter from them(Condor Captial) and they have not taken my car.   Has anyone else experienced this?  I figured I'm just going to keep as long as I can and then get a new car.   The one thing that is odd is that the finance company (Condor Capital) went out of business - actually the government demanded that they cease operations because they were overcharging customers so I'm thinking maybe they will never get the car?  I'm not going to call them because I still want to keep the car for as long as possible.    Anyone else experience this and can tell me what to expect?

Thank you.

What does your bankruptcy attorney say? Are you making payments ... to whom if yes? Legally you should not be using the car since you defaulted on the loan by not reaffirning it. The correct thing to do is to contact the lender, or have your attorney do it, and determine their plans for repossessing the car.

Message 2 of 5
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Often times, if there isn't sufficient value to the car, they creditor WON'T repossess it, no matter what you do.

I didn't reaffirm my truck, either.  I call them every 6 months and ask if they want to settle for $500, they say no.  In fact, the last time I called and asked, they said they could get $3,200 for it at auction.  I don't see how, but hey, more power to them... I tell them they should come reposess it, they say they will be in contact.  Nothing ever happens.

The only thing that sucks is that I can't even junk the car as long as the lien is still on it.  I figure eventually it will degrade enough that I'll take it to a push pull or drag sale and get $4,000 for a car worth a few hundred bucks.  Should make up for the dealer markup the night before the sale starts.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be prepared to one day walk out and there is no car. Good luck.

Message 4 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If you are not upside down in the car, you should be able to keep it as long as payments are current.

You need to contract them either way.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.