Did you mean: 

Barclay pre-approved offer at 8months post BK

tag
Officer737
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay pre-approved offer at 8months post BK

@TRC2k13 wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

The Barclay Apple card is the one I want the most, not sure why though. Now I wouldn't mind a nice Disco and Slate but I'm in no rush. Building my little next egg of cash and following the game plan. If I don't need it then I don't get it. If I get it I pay cash or have the cash to pay anything off the second I do it. 

It's a nice card... I used it to finance my 64gb iPhone 5s in September... and haven't used it for much else other than small purchases that I PIF each month.  

But, I've got my foot in the door with a national bank.

I guess I like it because all I use is Apple products except for my work computer (Dell, my department bought it not me I would have opted for the MBP). 

Congrats though! I look forward to mine! Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 15
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@Officer737 wrote:

I guess I like it because all I use is Apple products except for my work computer (Dell, my department bought it not me I would have opted for the MBP). 

As do I.... I have a MacBook Air and have 2 Apple TV's in addition to my iPhone 5s.  I didn't use the card on the laptop though... I got it with the Best Buy card at 0%.  Smiley Happy

Best of luck in your rebuild!

Message 12 of 15
Officer737
Established Contributor

@TRC2k13 wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

As do I.... I have a MacBook Air and have 2 Apple TV's in addition to my iPhone 5s.  I didn't use the card on the laptop though... I got it with the Best Buy card at 0%.  Smiley Happy

Best of luck in your rebuild!

NIce! I use a Mac Mini, iPhone and iPad.....stopped using the MBP as much since having the iPad as it does most things that I need and the mini covers everything else. 

Thanks I appreciate it! 

Message 13 of 15
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

You know if you use practically anything BUT the Barclays Apple store card AT THE APPLE STORE you get up to 5% off (cashback) your purchase, right?  Check out ShopDiscover, the Barclay Rewards Booster, or whatever online bonus enhancer is tied to one of your rewards cards.  Even better; use Navy Rewards Mall or one of the other rewards malls that has MacMall in it, and buy your Apple stuff there. 

Using NavyFlagship and the latest-release $999 MacbookAir as an example:

From Apple:

$999

+ 8% Tax

=$1079 stone that you can pay over time IF it's your first purchase

Exact same machine from MacMall:

$949 (MacMall is naturally 5% off)

No Tax (unless in CA)

2pts (standard) + 2pts (membermall) = 4pt/$ = 3796pts = $37 toward next airfare = (-$37)

=$922 for the EXACT same thing you just paid $1079 for w/ the AppleCard

$1079 - $922 = $155 PROFIT

If you don't have NFCU and can't use member mall, at lease use the Barclays Arrival, Barclay Rewards or Quicksilver and get 1-2% cashback. Or wait until Disco/Chase are giving 5% for shopping online and buy @ MacMall. Or buy via ShopDiscover, BarclayRewards Boost, Etc for 5% off @ the actual AppleStore.  So many ways to save on Apple Products if you have any card other than Apple.

Final thought:  If you Q for Apple Financing, you also Q for Barclay Rewards for Good Credit - May have to recon. 0% everywhere for 6mo + they give you $25 just for opening the card.

Other thoughts:

If you can't afford to pay cash, you shouldn't be financing it a 0% on your apple card anyway. And the interest you'd get w/ the $1000 in your savings account for 6mo is only about $5 right now.

If you can afford to literally waste $155, please just mail it to me.  I take cash.

-SM

P.S.  Only thing the Apple Card has going for it is that it's a Visa.  That makes it leaps-and-bounds better than a store card. 

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 14 of 15
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

SoulMaster wrote:

You know if you use practically anything BUT the Barclays Apple store card AT THE APPLE STORE you get up to 5% off (cashback) your purchase, right?  Check out ShopDiscover, the Barclay Rewards Booster, or whatever online bonus enhancer is tied to one of your rewards cards.  Even better; use Navy Rewards Mall or one of the other rewards malls that has MacMall in it, and buy your Apple stuff there. 

If you don't have NFCU and can't use member mall, at lease use the Barclays Arrival, Barclay Rewards or Quicksilver and get 1-2% cashback. Or wait until Disco/Chase are giving 5% for shopping online and buy @ MacMall. Or buy via ShopDiscover, BarclayRewards Boost, Etc for 5% off @ the actual AppleStore.  So many ways to save on Apple Products if you have any card other than Apple.

Final thought:  If you Q for Apple Financing, you also Q for Barclay Rewards for Good Credit - May have to recon. 0% everywhere for 6mo + they give you $25 just for opening the card.

Other thoughts:

If you can't afford to pay cash, you shouldn't be financing it a 0% on your apple card anyway. And the interest you'd get w/ the $1000 in your savings account for 6mo is only about $5 right now.

If you can afford to literally waste $155, please just mail it to me.  I take cash.

-SM

P.S.  Only thing the Apple Card has going for it is that it's a Visa.  That makes it leaps-and-bounds better than a store card. 

I am not eligible for NFCU membership... which is fine because I'm in the door with BECU right here in Seattle.  I don't have Barclays Rewards or Arrival, and only one of my QS cards has a large enough line for an Apple notebook.  (not that it matters... I bought my laptop at Best Buy @ 0%)

Thanks for the tip on the Barclay Rewards for good credit... as I've said before now that I have a high limit CC with my CU I'm not really interested in opening any more accounts.... I'll garden and let the accounts age as well as the dozen inquiries I've got spread across 3 bureaus. You're right about the Apple card being a Visa... that is a definite plus.  I got it (and financed my phone with it) because it was one of my first cards post discharge and I'm rebuilding... I paid $100 for 3 months and then paid off the balance the 4th month.

Now I'm somewhat following your guide... you know... having 1 card carrying a balance (my BECU card that gave me the same 0% everywhere for 6 months) and letting the rest report a 0 balance. I do plan on going for another Barclay card at a later date... but as you've preached multiple times a good rebuild requires patience... and that's what I am doing.  I believe my profile is solid and I'm well on my way.  I may have blown $155 but to me just getting in the door with Barclays and now having an account that is approaching 6 months with them is worth $155 to me...  it wasn't about not being able to afford it... it was about establishing a history with Barclays.  The only time I don't PIF each month is when I have 0%.  I hate paying interest...  just sayin'.  Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.