Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Card Policy on IIB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Card Policy on IIB

Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've been lurking for some time now. Hoping someone can shed some light on this. 

I had a Barclays card that had a zero balance at the time of my Chapter 7 filing. They weren't included in my bankruptcy however they are showing up on my credit report as IIB (they were not included on the petition). I tried to dispute this but they are telling me that it's their policy that anytime there's a bankruptcy, they close the account and include it in bankruptcy, hence the way it's reporting. I'm waiting to hear from my atty to see if this is legal. But in the meantime, anyone know?? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Card Policy on IIB

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've been lurking for some time now. Hoping someone can shed some light on this. 

I had a Barclays card that had a zero balance at the time of my Chapter 7 filing. They weren't included in my bankruptcy however they are showing up on my credit report as IIB (they were not included on the petition). I tried to dispute this but they are telling me that it's their policy that anytime there's a bankruptcy, they close the account and include it in bankruptcy, hence the way it's reporting. I'm waiting to hear from my atty to see if this is legal. But in the meantime, anyone know?? 

They are reporting correctly..

Capital One did the same thing to a card I left open. In a no asset chapter 7 you are able to go back and add things so they are protecting themselves. Maybe you have a good shot at getting another Barclay card since they were not IIBK

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn, was hoping it was incorrect. I paid that card off too, took the chance that it may stay open. I burned them with a business card (Juniper) so that was probably bad thinking on my part. Oh well. Thanks for the explanation!

Message 3 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Darn, was hoping it was incorrect. I paid that card off too, took the chance that it may stay open. I burned them with a business card (Juniper) so that was probably bad thinking on my part. Oh well. Thanks for the explanation!

No worries! Best of luck

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It is one of the reasons I suggest closing zero balance credit card accounts prior to filing BK.  It doesn't hurt your credit if you are filing BK to close a zero balance account. It does make it much less likely to get the IIB label because it is already closed.

It also makes it easier to open another account by the same creditor at some point after your discharge.

Naturally you can't close it if there is a balance. And you don't want to do anything with preferential payments to jepordize your Bk. But most of us have several cards with zero balances going into a Bk so it wouldn't be an issue to close those in advance of filing.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me and the card company closed all my cards even though not all were included.
Message 6 of 15
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

StartingOver10 is right - if it is zero, close it prior to filing.  I did that with my CreditOne card knowing I would need them post discharge - and low and behold, they accepted me right back!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 7 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Same thing happened to me and the card company closed all my cards even though not all were included.

^^^This is a common misconception.  ALL ACCOUNTS ARE INCLUDED when you file Bk. You can't pick and choose which accounts to list or not list in your Bk.

Message 8 of 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

StartingOver10 is right - if it is zero, close it prior to filing.  I did that with my CreditOne card knowing I would need them post discharge - and low and behold, they accepted me right back!

On the flip side of this, I did not close my Cap1 card and still applied the day I was discharged..still let right back in.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 9 of 15
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Opensource777 both my Barclay cards are still active and reports show open (perhaps not updated yet since discharge was just on August 20). I'll use the card today to see what happens but as far as I see, so far both of my cards are still open.  

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.