cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been Unemployed and Money Ran Out - BK?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Been Unemployed and Money Ran Out - BK?

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

As a rule of thumb, I think people are good candidates for a BK 7 when they owe in the neighborhood of one year's gross salary in unsecured debt.  This is how I eyeball it when people ask.   That is just my own personal metric.

.. and that is why I am comfortable with my current overall unsecured CLs being right at my yearly gross.  

I've never understood the need for someone who makes $50k to have $200k in CC's... a quick route to BK7 if you aren't responsible.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 11 of 15
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

As a rule of thumb, I think people are good candidates for a BK 7 when they owe in the neighborhood of one year's gross salary in unsecured debt.  This is how I eyeball it when people ask.   That is just my own personal metric.

.. and that is why I am comfortable with my current overall unsecured CLs being right at my yearly gross.  

I've never understood the need for someone who makes $50k to have $200k in CC's... a quick route to BK7 if you aren't responsible.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I think I agree with you.  I think one year's gross salary in unsecured credit limits is a good number to shoot for.  

With that, you can routinely have one month's gross salary showing up on your reported balances and you would be under 10% utilization (1/12 = 8.3%).  So you could put a month's worth of expenses on your cards, or go on vacation, or buy a big item without having to micromanage payments during the month.

I also think that people should shoot for one year's gross salary in totally useable cards -- Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover, JCB.  I would much rather have one year in fully available credit than two years of salary that has things like a 10K limit on J. Crew, etc.

I only have Walmart and Lowes for store cards.  I don't plan to get more.  I don't shop at either of those stores, but I like the Walmart FICO and I do hope to get a 25K limit on Lowes.  But no more store cards for me.

Assuming a 100K annual income, I would like to have five cards with a 20K limit on each.  Maybe over time those limits would grow to 30K each and I would have 150K in limits on 100K income.  These cards would be split between a couple of good rewards cards (cash and miles) and good lines of credit from CU's and Barclay Ring with low rates in case I actually need money to smooth out cash flow.

Its funny how much I keep learning on here and how much my opinions are changing as i go along.  No doubt they will continue to change and refine.

Message 12 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I think I agree with you.  I think one year's gross salary in unsecured credit limits is a good number to shoot for.  

With that, you can routinely have one month's gross salary showing up on your reported balances and you would be under 10% utilization (1/12 = 8.3%).  So you could put a month's worth of expenses on your cards, or go on vacation, or buy a big item without having to micromanage payments during the month.

I also think that people should shoot for one year's gross salary in totally useable cards -- Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover, JCB.  I would much rather have one year in fully available credit than two years of salary that has things like a 10K limit on J. Crew, etc.

I only have Walmart and Lowes for store cards.  I don't plan to get more.  I don't shop at either of those stores, but I like the Walmart FICO and I do hope to get a 25K limit on Lowes.  But no more store cards for me.

Assuming a 100K annual income, I would like to have five cards with a 20K limit on each.  Maybe over time those limits would grow to 30K each and I would have 150K in limits on 100K income.  These cards would be split between a couple of good rewards cards (cash and miles) and good lines of credit from CU's and Barclay Ring with low rates in case I actually need money to smooth out cash flow.

Its funny how much I keep learning on here and how much my opinions are changing as i go along.  No doubt they will continue to change and refine.

That's exactly why I only have 2 store cards... Nordstrom $2500 and Best Buy $3500.  Both can be converted to VISA/MC down the road... Nordstrom quite easily I hear.  I have no plans to app for any more store cards either...  I am fine with a wallet full of major CC's.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update, I really don't have anyone else I'd tell anyways.. Smiley Happy  But..

I spent the morning contacting the CC companies and every one of them was more open about this then I thought they would be.  Each one emphasized my perfect payment history and relationship with them.. Two of them volunteered to skip a payment, one offered to waive any late fees I may receive if I miss a payment/late for a payment for the next two months.

A lot more service and understanding than I expected.. Anyways, I appreciate everyones responses and I'll keep updating if there's anything that happens whether it's avoiding the BK/deliquent situation or if something catastrophic happens.

Great forum, great people here.. Thanks again.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this thread is appropriate for the BK forums still as I'm not actively engaged in that activity..but I said I would update:

Still broke, nothing's sold and no income - Credit card companies are all skipping payments and waiving late fees.  Hyundai Motor Finance said they'd skip two payments for me (which would probably allow me to limp along until september where I'll likely have income again), they said to call back when I was officially listed as late.. I did so today and was told now that I don't qualify as I don't have any income... So, being a long time customer of theirs with two prior loans, it's pretty disappointing to be given the run around, but not much I can do there.

Still at it, still considering my options.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.