Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I consider Bankruptcy .... Please advise

tag
Diana56
New Contributor

Before I consider Bankruptcy .... Please advise

Please advise on what to do, if you're unable to pay minimum payments on CC's .... before considering Bankruptcy.

Long story as to why, but I'm not able to afford rent anymore AND pay my CC minimums.  I'll be on the street soon, if I don't figure something out, and being a 62 year old woman, that is NOT good.

Sure, I'd like to keep my credit good, but the most important thing right now is, to NOT be homeless ... so what would you advise, before filing?

I personally, don't see a way out of it, because even if the CC would allow me lower payments, I'm unable to afford hardly anything right now.  

Thank you all ahead of time!

Diana

Capital One: $10,000 - BOA: $1,500 - PayPal: $2,000 - Amazon: $900

Experian: 698 - Equifax: 700 today! YAY!! - TransUnion: 706
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

Re: Before I consider Bankruptcy .... Please advise

Is there any particular reason why you're in such a bind right now?  Lose job?  I would see if I could move somewhere that rent is cheaper or move in with a relative to see if that would free up some of your money.  If your sitation is temporary, I would call the cc companies to see if they will defer your payments for a couple of months until you get back on your feet.  Filing for BK is expensive.  Hiring a lawer will easily cost over $1000 (for a good one anyway).

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Diana56
New Contributor

@mrsjr wrote:

Is there any particular reason why you're in such a bind right now?  Lose job?  I would see if I could move somewhere that rent is cheaper or move in with a relative to see if that would free up some of your money.  If your sitation is temporary, I would call the cc companies to see if they will defer your payments for a couple of months until you get back on your feet.  Filing for BK is expensive.  Hiring a lawer will easily cost over $1000 (for a good one anyway).

mrsjr:  Yes there are several reasons.  I had to drive from N.Y. state to Washington state, to care for my son, who is very sick.  I've been able to pay for rent for 6 months now, but it's caught up to me, and unable to do so anymore.

I was planning on going to work part-time when I got here, but then I had health issues that prevented doing so.  I have Lupus, Fibro, Hypertension and a host of other fun things.  The trip threw me into flares from all different directions.  

I do believe I can start part-time work as soon as I'm settled into a new apartment, closer to my son, as I am now 5 hours from him, and I have to cross the Cascade Mountains to get to him.  Way too much driving for me.

I had to use my CC's for the trip, all though I did have money saved also. 

Also, since I have such little income, I believe I will be eligible for legal aid ... and either low or free assistance to file bankruptcy.  

I have no family here, and know no one near where my son lives ... He and I are the only family here.

I will consider contacting the CC's about deferring payments.

HTH clear things up a bit.

Message 3 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

WOW!  You are going through a LOT right now!  With the little I do know about Lupus and Fibro, stress can trigger a flare-up!  First and foremost, you're AMAZING for doing what you're doing for your child!  Kudo's to YOU for that!

Can you get approved for disability?  Public Assistance?  Section 8 Housing (in our area, it's by income and rent is offset by the State).  We also have plans to help with your utilities.  It's likely that Washington has the same programs.

I would be pro-active and call the CC companies and discuss your issues.  However, they may be charged-off by now.  If that happens, it's a whole other ball of wax.

I do wish you the BEST and hope that our suggestions are able to help you out and relieve a bit of stress!   Heart

Message 4 of 7
Diana56
New Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

WOW!  You are going through a LOT right now!  With the little I do know about Lupus and Fibro, stress can trigger a flare-up!  First and foremost, you're AMAZING for doing what you're doing for your child!  Kudo's to YOU for that!

Can you get approved for disability?  Public Assistance?  Section 8 Housing (in our area, it's by income and rent is offset by the State).  We also have plans to help with your utilities.  It's likely that Washington has the same programs.

I would be pro-active and call the CC companies and discuss your issues.  However, they may be charged-off by now.  If that happens, it's a whole other ball of wax.

I do wish you the BEST and hope that our suggestions are able to help you out and relieve a bit of stress!   Heart

It's so nice to hear someone understand what I've been going through!  Smiley Happy

I've spent the last 2 months, calling all the subsidized apartments, but most have a year or more waiting list ... many lists are closed.

My monthly income is too much for public assistance, all though I do get Medical free and $40 food stamps.

I could apply for disability, but I'm receiving SS on my husband right now (we've been separated for many years), so not sure it would be of any benefit, and I'd have to go through SO much, I have very little energy I'm trying to conserve right now.

If I call the CC companies, what can they actually do?  I'm not able to pay any of it, if I am to pay rent ... sadly, it's come to this.

Nothing has been charged off, because I've not missed any payments yet, and have always paid a little bit more (20 or so) than the minimum, so I'm not in arrears at all right now.  But at this time, I have 2 weeks to be out of my apt. .... and need every penny I get, to find another apt. 

Message 5 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Diana:  You MUST consider the strain on your health before all else.  You NEED a place to lay your head and food to fill your stomach.  If it were ME, the h*** with it, I would stop paying on the cards.  You can also consider working with a Debt Management Co., but you'll need to be able to afford to pay the debts within 5 years.  Lower interest rate, of course.  I'd hold on to a card for emergency usage if it comes to that.

Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people and this doesn't mean you're a lowly human being.  You've tried, you're trying and it's not working.  Put yourself as NUMBER ONE, or you won't be able to continue.

That's my advice.....send me a PM if you would like to chat further.Heart

I wish you the VERY BEST.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could always call your creditors first.. try to have them help in any way- Stay strong.. health comes first!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.