Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bank for checking account post bk with builder options

tag
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Best bank for checking account post bk with builder options

So i've searched and searched and I couldn't find a definitve answer to this question.

I'm post bk, discharged Aug 2016.  I currently bank and a local bank in my city.  This bank is very small and is not BK friendy at all.  I am wanting to move my banking to a bank that is more bk friendly and has a local branch.

My options:

Bank of America

First Tennessee

Regions

SunTrust

Wells Fargo

My top right now is SunTrust.  I've read other places that they send out pre-qual offers often.  I burned Wells in the bk pretty bad so I don't that is an option.  I absolutely don't want to go to BoA.  In my city they have the worst lines and customer service of any bank I've seen.  Also, I don't like any of the CU here locally so I don't want to go that route.  I have clean chexsys.

I wanted to get some veteran knowledge about which way is best.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best bank for checking account post bk with builder options

@rwoodruff13 wrote:

So i've searched and searched and I couldn't find a definitve answer to this question.

I'm post bk, discharged Aug 2016.  I currently bank and a local bank in my city.  This bank is very small and is not BK friendy at all.  I am wanting to move my banking to a bank that is more bk friendly and has a local branch.

My options:

Bank of America

First Tennessee

Regions

SunTrust

Wells Fargo

My top right now is SunTrust.  I've read other places that they send out pre-qual offers often.  I burned Wells in the bk pretty bad so I don't that is an option.  I absolutely don't want to go to BoA.  In my city they have the worst lines and customer service of any bank I've seen.  Also, I don't like any of the CU here locally so I don't want to go that route.  I have clean chexsys.

I wanted to get some veteran knowledge about which way is best.

The major commercial banks aren't particularly BK friendly. It's fine to have checking/savings with them, but they likely won't be your friend when it comes to lending down the road.

If you must go with one, pick the one you find to be most convenient (physical locations/ATMs/etc.) but you will also likely want to open accounts at a BK friendly credit union to establish a relationship for CCs/loans down the road. Lots of folks here do well with Navy Federal and PenFed (if you didn't burn either of them) and you can find information on how to join in this forum.

Message 2 of 6
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Thanks for the response.  For an update I found that Navy Fed does have a branch in my city I didn't know about so I am going to probably go that route using the method described in the forums.  Thanks for the info!

Message 3 of 6
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

I bank with chase. Banked with them prior to the bankruptcy and just got a new account with them after discharge. I've not asked for a loan or anything because I know they're not really bk friendly. I do intend to app for a csp in a few years, so hopefully it'll help.
I have a savings with PenFed and with a community credit union. Both are fine. Of the ones you listed, I like sun trust. I had an account with them when I was in North Carolina and they were great.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 4 of 6
GatorsFan84
Contributor

Thanks for response.  I ended up apping for NFCU a few days ago.  I still think I am going to move most of my day to day bank to suntrust though.  The local NFCU branch is like a 45min drive for me and suntrust is 5 mins away.  I appreciate the input.

Message 5 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

SunTrust is a good choice. They are very conservative but after you have an established relationship with them, you will be fine. A friend of mine got a preapproval for 1.99% APR after  a year or so after his bankruptcy. 

I banked with PNC for 4 years after my bankruptcy before I got a car loan and Visa card with them. I use their Vitual wallet to track everything.

I think Navy Federal is the way to go. Now that I have my accounts and direct deposits set up with them, I only go to my branch (about an hour away) once a month to deposit cash. I am very impressed with the CU. I can't say a single bad thing about them. I wish I about the Navy League after my nakruptcy was discharged in 2012.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.