Contributor
MyFico_704

CH 7 BK> Short Sale = deficiency liability?

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place!!!

I have a rental property that was IIB/discharged.  I tried to sell it to a relative post BK however the appraisal came 25k short of the loan balance. (130k balance; 105k appraised).

Deal went dead.

Now I want to do a SS and I recently consulted a CDPE in the area.  He stated that in order to do the SS, I would have to have the mortgage lien "removed" from the BK estate. Hence once removed I, the seller would open the doors for the $ deficiency if the property were sold SS.

Is this true?  I have reached out to my BK attorney for clarification and he has not yet responded. I really need to sell. Renter/relative has been paying mortgage since inception.. and are continuing to pay today.

Another obstacle - Arms Length Transaction rule.  Renter who wants to buys is a relative.

Anyone experienced something like this or know of someone?  Appreciate all suggestions and advices!

Thank you.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: CH 7 BK> Short Sale = deficiency liability?

No, the SS after BK does not open the door for a deficiency.

Talk to your BK attorney. Find another CDPE.

The Arms Length Transaction rule is enforced. You can't sell to a relative unless the bank is paid in full and its not a short sale.

Contributor
MyFico_704

Re: CH 7 BK> Short Sale = deficiency liability?

Understood points 1 & 2.

Think you've already answered my question on a different post.. Regarding - Arms Length Rule; are there absolutely no exceptions to selling to a relative?  I've made an earnest effort in trying to sell via regular P&S but the appraisal did not come in and deal went dead.  appraisal 105k; loan balance 130k.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+