BackintheSaddle

CU personal loan payoff question

[ Edited ]

First Post! 

Discharged 11/13, did a lot of attempted clean up and things are looking up! Yesterday my EQ was 635 (haven't ran the others yet), and, for the first time in my life, my DTI is great! Trying to follow the plan and got approved for an unsecured credit one card yesterday and will be doing the small monthly purchase/payoff  before statement thing. 

I had a small student loan (1K) that I didn't realize was maturing and Sallie Mae (AKA the devil) would not work with me AT ALL, and I didn't want it to hit my credit. I went to my CU and applied for a personal loan in that amount and was approved (21.9 20.25% interest for 12 months, no PP penalty) and they are paying off Sallie Mae.

I plan on paying the CU loan off within 6-8 weeks, probably in two 500.00 payments, because that interest is insane, but do I hurt myself in any way by paying it off quickly? Is there a strategy to getting the most positive credit impact with this line of credit? How does paying off early vs. say 3-4 months look to the CU in case I wanted to get a car loan or something later on?

Thanks!

Valued Contributor
gdale6

Re: CU personal loan payoff question

IMO one should keep this type of loan open at least 6 months to get best results in eyes of future lenders. I would just pay the principle down to the point where it will pay out after the 6th payment, this will minimize the interest on the loan.

EX Cred Sesame 07/14: 770 ; EX Fico8 Bankcard 06/14: 811
EQ Fico 05/14 781 ; EQ MPM 06/14: 765
TU Fico8 06/14: 719; TU MPM 06/14 706

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+