Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I convert to Chapter 7?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I convert to Chapter 7?

Sorry. My posts got mixed up somehow. I lost my job not too long before I filed. I went from making 45k a year to $300 a week on unemployment. The main reason I filed Chapter 13 was to protect an asset, my vehicle. I was behind, and reaffirming through chapter 7 was not an option, as I would not have been able to afford it at my payments at that time. The chapter 13 lowered my payments. At that time, I was not educated about this process at all. I didn't know the major differences between the two. Other than the car, I only had maybe 4k in unsecured debt. Being naive, I did not give the plan length much thought. I surmise she stretched it out as far as possible to keep my payments as low as possible. As I stated, I was on unemployment looking for a job when I filed. A plan with too high of a payment would not have went through. I, too, was clueless about this process. I pretty much went blindly with whatever my attorney advised.

I have an appointment to see my attorney on Monday. From my initial research, I can convert if I'm willing to "let go" of an asset that the chapter 13 protected, which is exactly what I'd do. Believe me, on $300 a week maximum unemployment in Georgia, I definitely passed the means test to file a Chapter 7. The reason I simply did not was to protect my vehicle. Hindsight is 20/20
Message 11 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My situation is almost identical. I pretty  much just followed my attorney's advice blindly. I definitely was clueless.

Yeah and I know the feeling about Georgia unemployment.    I lost my job about a year after I filed and the maximum of $330 just didn't cut it.

I ended up moving to the Seattle area in 2011 and pretty much doubled my income.  Yeah the COL is higher out here but it's not THAT much higher.  In no way would I have rebounded from the Ch 13 like I have if I were still living and working in Georgia...

Sometimes a change of scenery is for the best.  The best decision of my life without a doubt...

Good luck.  Smiley Wink

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My situation is almost identical. I lost my job not too long before I filed. I went from making 45k a year to $300 a week on unemployment. The main reason I filed Chapter 13 was to protect an asset, my vehicle. I was behind, and reaffirming through chapter 7 was not an option, as I would not have been able to afford it at my payments at that time. The chapter 13 lowered my payments.

At that time, I was not educated about this process at all. I didn't know the major differences between the two. Other than the car, I only had maybe 4k in unsecured debt. Being naive, I did not give the plan length much thought. I surmise she stretched it out as far as possible to keep my payments as low as possible. As I stated, I was on unemployment looking for a job when I filed. A plan with too high of a payment would not have went through.

I have an appointment to see my attorney on Monday. From my initial research, I can convert if I'm willing to "let go" of an asset that the chapter 13 protected, which is exactly what I'd do. Believe me, on $300 a week maximum unemployment in Georgia, I definitely passed the means test to file a Chapter 7. The reason I simply did not was to protect my vehicle. Hindsight is 20/20.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.