cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ever have a Chase, Citibank BofA, Amex, again post Chapter 7?

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I ever have a Chase, Citibank BofA, Amex, again post Chapter 7?

My hx with those banks is as follows: My Chapt 7 BK was discharged in Nov 2012. I included 1 Bof A CC but did not include any of my AX cards. I did have a piece of real estate  included thru Citibank but have not yet tried applying for anything with them. BofA recently approved me for a Secured card and told me that within 6mo-1y of good payment hx I would be approved for an unsecured card. AX told me to wait until my BK was 5 yrs old and to re-apply at that time. CHASE keeps telling me they need to see a little bit more payment  hx on some of my newer accts (CO, BC and DS). I have written EO another letter today and am waiting on a reply. I have a current auto loan and student loans all with perfect payment hx thru CHASE.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 11 of 15
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Just to update you guys on BoA. I decided to take them up on their offer.  4.5 years post CH7 BK and after buring them for a 1st and 2nd mortgage, I am back in with them. I was approved for a $500 limit Cash rewards credit card. This is by far my lowest credit limit.  I have had a banking relationship with them for over 15years, I have no Idea if that helped my situation. It did cost me two pulls on my EX.So the question is BoA BK friendly? I strongly believe so. Now I will wait till I hit the 5 year mark in Dec to apply for Amex and Chase. With regards to Citi I have no plans to apply for them until my BK hits 7 years or falls off my credit reports completely.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@somotao wrote:

I still haven't accepted the offer. $500 credit limit seems just too low for me......Not sure it is worth it just to get back in with Bank of America......at the same time I really don't want to waste my inquiry. End of this year will be 5 years post BK7 so will be looking to try for Amex and Chase.

Bank of America was the second creditor to offer me an opportunity after my Chapter 13, along with Capital One. Now I have high end cards with both of them. Now Chase - that's a whole other entity. Maybe someday...

Message 13 of 15
somotao
Frequent Contributor

It sure feels good to have a Prime credit card again Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase can be done! I filled for BK in 2012 and it has been just 4 years last month. The first 3 years were pretty rough. I instanly got an unsecured card a couple months after the BK with capital one witth a very very low 300$ limit. The next 2 years I got increases and applied for some store cards, Some denied some approved. I added another capital one card to the mix in the meantime. In January of 2015 I appiled for the capital one venture card. At the time I had 2 capital one cards with 2500 limits and a target card, amazon store card (not the chase one), sams club, target, sears mastercard, a barlcay rewards mastercard and bestbuy Mastercard and my highest limit was the 2500 capital one card. Everything else was 1000 or less. I appied for venture card becasue at the end of the year we were going to go to mexico and I figured the 400$ bonus and points would help pay for the trip. Also I asked capital one for a limit increase and they denied me, I applied for the venture card and got a 22,000$ limit. I was shocked, I called the number to verify becuase I thought it was a mistake. They told me on the phone I was approved and my limit was 22,000$. I just told them the webpage froze becuase I didnt want to explain to them I didn't belive it, haha. Before I got the venture card I felt like I was stuck, No one would give me a limit incrase and every other card I appiled for I got denied. I really thought it was the end of the road. I felt that It would be this way until the BK fell off my credit report and I would have to go through this for another 6 years. I read post saying hang in there and felt hopeless. My goal was to get back my chase and American Express. I had and have nurmerous inquieries on my report. Like I think 12 or 13 which I know is not good but I just figured they would fall off in a year or 2 anyway and there is nothing I NEED in that time frame. So anyway when I got the venture card after the first statement I got auto incrases from half of my cards, my amazon went from 800-5,000 and sams went from 1250-3500. So idecided to go on a credit limit increase rage I got an increase from everycard I had expect target. I asked amazon for an increase even though a month before they bumped me from 800-5000 and they gave me another 5000 to a total 10,000 limit, I had only had this store card for about 8 months at the time and went from 800-10,000. Sams club also bumped me from 3500-7000 Things started to look upwards. Besides target my lowest card was 5000 sears card. It was like the banks said oh Capital one gave him 22,000 lets follow close but behind them, haha. I still wanted my Chase Sapphire Preferred card back. I applied in Feb and was denied. I didnt really follow up or anything just figured to be greatful for what I do have and give it sometime. So I just waited a little while, added a victoria secert credit card and apple store card when the watch came out. In October of 2015 I decided to give it another try to get back with Chase. At this time I prob had like 15 or 16 hard pulls on my credit, some from the increases I did in the spring and some for the new cards I applied for. I applied and got the message that I would have to wait 7-10 days. I have tried to call and ask for reconsider before with other cards and even with CLI but never had any luck but I tried again with Chase and told them the truth. The whole time I have been reading forms but ignoring the advice, You can tell by how many hard pulls I have, People think I am crazy. I told them since I filled BK all I wanted is to get back together with chase and she came back on the phone after putting me on hold and approved for 5,000$. So it can be done, Just under 4 years and I got back with chase. After I got my card in the mail, I figured I already had a crazy amount of hard pulls I mind as well see if I can get anything else. I applied for discover and got an it card with 800$ limit. I also appiled for Citi double cash and american express but got denied for both of them, 60 days after I had my discover I got a CLI to 1200 from 800. So keep your head up it is a lonley long road but time goes by and things get better. I dont have any car loans or morgages, but we have a 2013 honda polit that my mother in law signed for us to get. We only owe like 10,000 on it and have 2 years left on the loan. I applied for capital one auto refinance just to see if we could get it out of her name and if I could get the good credit history of an auto loan payoff. I got approved with a 2.99% rate to refinacne the auto loan. So things are deff getting better. There prime rate is 2.49. Hang in there, If you have any questions let me know. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.