cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I help properly or do I need my parents to do it more or less?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I help properly or do I need my parents to do it more or less?

My mom filed (under her name) for ch 7 in 2011.  It says dismissed on her tu report via ck.  Both my parents filed for 13 in july this year and that says discharged on their reports.  Do i need more info from them to help pay collections and whatnot.  My mom only has one for $63 which she says should have been included in the newest bk but either way its only $63 so if she pays it who cares.

As far as public records go on their reports, does the ch 7 saying dismissed in 2012 mean anything? And the 13 is newly discharged.  Does that sound right?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I help properly or do I need my parents to do it more or less?

Ch13 is normally a longer process than a couple of months. Discharge normally takes years. Dismissed means it wasn't completed. Are you sure you don't have those 2 reversed?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dad has 2 public records.  Ch 7 bk says discharged for both eq and tu reports and the other public record says "legal item" and the tu report on ck says it was discharged in the bk ($2282).  My mom has 2 on hers as well, bk ch 7 from 2011 discharged and bk ch 13 from july 2015 that is dismissed.  I had them backwards, my bad.  The 2011 one was joint for them and the new one is my mom only.

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

My dad has 2 public records.  Ch 7 bk says discharged for both eq and tu reports and the other public record says "legal item" and the tu report on ck says it was discharged in the bk ($2282).  My mom has 2 on hers as well, bk ch 7 from 2011 discharged and bk ch 13 from july 2015 that is dismissed.  I had them backwards, my bad.  The 2011 one was joint for them and the new one is my mom only.

Really you should look at their full credit reports on www.annualcreditreport.com rather than trying to determine details from credit karma.  CK is ok for a quick look, but for more accurate info, look at the actual reports.

If those items are subsequent to the filing date of the Ch 7's then pay them. However, if the collections are from debt prior to the file date of the Ch 7's have the creditor remove the collections. When your parents received their discharge in 2011, it discharges all outstanding debt as of the Ch 7 filing date whether it was listing on the petition or not.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thanks.  So, my dads collection is pif and from before the 2011 bk, therefore the oc should remove the account?  What about lates from 2009? I know a cc pif was included in the 2011 bk but 3 lates remain on it.  The other 7 lates are all 30 days on cars.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.