cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a cc company still report after filing BK?

tag
oldschool
Valued Member

Can a cc company still report after filing BK?

Question...I filed BK in 2004, I just checked my credit report and one of the reasons my score is low is it says I have a recent deroratory mark from cap 1. Cap 1 reported: You were late by the most consecutive payments or became derogatory less than one month ago. The date most reported was 3/2008.

How do I handle this?

Thanks,
Rick 
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a cc company still report after filing BK?

Same thing happened to me and I have a bk in 2004. It was not until I found this forum and actually requested my credit reports did I see I was still getting hit with "late" payments on things included in my bk.  Some of them were not even showing "included in bk".  I sent a letter to the credit reporting agencies with a copy of my credit file from them and a copy of the bk page showing the debts included in the bk.  They were all updated and my score did have a quick increase of 25-30 points right away.

Message 2 of 7
oldschool
Valued Member

Thanks, I think I'll try that, I'm certainly not getting any help from the cc company
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar situation with Capital One -- it doesn't list new late payments, but under "date reported" it shows the current date, 3/08, even though this card was included in a BK and the account closed 10/04.  WHY are they reporting ANYTHING as of 3/08?  Wouldn't it just sit there after 10/04 when the account was closed?

They were not scheduled in my CH. 13 to receive any payments -- secured creditors took up the entire plan payments, so they had no hope of receiving anything.  Why are they still reporting??  Does this matter?  Also, the balance still shows as the amount, rather than $0, which is what it is since it was discharged.  Can I or should I dispute that?

I also noted that Equifax indicates that "accounts not paid as agreed stay on your report for 7 years" which I knew.  However, it says this time period is measured from the date on your credit report shown in the "date of last activity" field accompanying that particular debt.  I reviewed my Equifax report, and some of debts have "N/A" in that field.  Then what?  It can't be "date reported" because that is NOT always indicitive of any actual activity on the account, especially those Capital One cards!

Anyone have thoughts on this or a similar situation?

Message 4 of 7
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

I have a similar problem with Capital One as well. I was discharged in May of 2003 and it also shows 3/08 as the current date. They also continued to show monthly reports on my CR until 11/03 on my EQ. I'm sending out a letter tomorrow to have this information removed, hopefully this will bump the score a little.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

don;t worry about the date the trade line report last. The important issue is the First Date of Delinquency. Does the account indicate "Included in Bankruptcy"? If so, leave it ALONE! You don't want the report to come back as "Charged-off". A CO is a double negative, and there is nothing positive about a double negative on your credit report.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also am having problems with 2 CapOne accts that were included in our Chapter 13. They still show a balance and also that it is a past due balance. I disputed with the CB and it came back verified. We filed in 2002.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.