Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can finally breath a little bit 13 discharged 8/17

tag
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Can finally breath a little bit 13 discharged 8/17

I have been around the boards for many years reading an learning things I was not familar with previously. Just wanted to share my story, DH and I finally got discharged from our chapter 13 that was filed 7/2010, I thought the day would never come. We have had a long hard road these last five years. I am so glad it has come to an end. So much can happen over a five year period. Chapter 13 is not easy (but you can get through it), at least it was not for us we had so many things happen in the last five years. From 2 car accidents where our cars were totalled, getting custody of teen twins, getting married (no honeymoon yet, or vacation at all for that matter, birth of grandkids, 2 kids going to college, illness and stress from having such a tight budget dealing with the chapter 13 plan itself, among other issues) an almost got put off the plan twice.

I decided to start my own thread here to serve as a guideline or my own personal diary if you will,  of the things that have happened and are yet to come.

So to give a little background DH is a mechanical engineer and I was a senior mortgage underwriter for a previously well known  lender. On 2/29/2008 ( The same day my niece was born exact same time as my work day started). I went in to work as usual and the doors were locked no one was allowed in. Long story short we were all fired, no notice, closed down, over, go home. No severance pay for many, many months of fighting for it. We lived off that, savings, some of my 401K and DH salary until he had to have knee surgery ( old college and pro football injuries that left lots of scar tissue that had to be removed). I lost my job 4 months before we were to be married ( 6/7/2008) we had already spent a small fortune on the wedding and to have all this happen, was devastating. We owed 400,000 on a home that we purchased for 490,000 just one year before, that they said was then worth 290,000. The upside down home on top of car payments and credit card payments that were getting behind we had to do something I thought, I WOULD NEVER HAVE TO DO. I thought no not me, this can't be happening to me, I pay may bills always and always on time. We filed Chapter 13 due to not being able to file a Chapter 7 because of income. Then the next CHAPTER of struggle started. I don't want to be long winded or sound like I am whinning. I am not the experience made us strong people and a stronger unit functioning as one. Things happen in life that are at times beyond our control and we are forced to make decisions that are for the best outcome. So to anyone who is in situation or going through "LIFE HAPPENS" as I like to call it. Take it all in stride and it does get better. What seems impossible becomes possible, keep your head up an keep stepping, it will get easier.

We are going to take a much needed vacation late September for 2 weeks and I can not wait so long over due. Upon our discharge I pulled our credit reports and the discharge was reported 8/18/2015. All accounts but 2 (wells hellgo car and credit card) have been updated to IIB 0 due or Discharged in chapter 13 bankruptcy 0 due. I started disputing them this week sending in the discharge papers, accounts paid summary, and final payment ledger from trustee, so I am waiting to see what they come back with. They would not list 0 due while the BK was still active ( I hate them ). We actually got a head start on rebuilding (two credit cards each) with trustee approval due to getting custody of the twins and our expenses increasing, however we did have to turn over statments randomly on request, I guess to make sure we were not purchasing luxury items (which we did not, they were to survive and purchase necessary items. We could not increase payments in the plan or extend it past five years). So that is my story and I will update my "diary" as I progress. I wish everyone luck and success with their Chapter 13, 7, and rebuilds. PUSH ON.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Can finally breath a little bit 13 discharged 8/17

wow..much admiration for all you who filed 13. I know it was a long road. There are a few here still going thru it. Much congrats to you on the discharge, and rebuilding from here. Go and enjoy that vacation now!!!
Message 2 of 18
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Thank you SOOOO MUCH pizza, I appreciate it and I surely will Smiley Wink

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Enjoy life after Ch13. I know you can breathe much easier now.

Message 4 of 18
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Grats OP... good luck with the rebuild.  I'm nearing the end of the road myself...  7 years is approaching fast and I'll have this mess off my reports.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 5 of 18
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! Enjoy life after Ch13. I know you can breathe much easier now.

Thanks so much Cruznmore it is a big weight off of us.

Message 6 of 18
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Grats OP... good luck with the rebuild.  I'm nearing the end of the road myself...  7 years is approaching fast and I'll have this mess off my reports.

Thank you so much TRC, I have read a lot of your post and you are making great progress, you are very inspirational. Time will be here very soon for you to be totally clean. Can't wait to see your update regarding that. I am still fighting with wells hellgo for 0 balance due to be reported, then to build a lil bit.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrtas on your discharge, too OP!  It looks like we have alot in common.  Doesn't it feel great to finally have the discharge and weight lifted?  I know we still have a long road to travel, but we'll get there one step at a time.  I just wanted to say I wish you the very best going forward!  This will definitely be a better year  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Oh yes it will. We have accomplished so much already, I think things for both of us will be downhill from here ( In a good way ). Many congrats and luck to you.

Message 9 of 18
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Ok so I jump into the fire. DH got a new car last week The rate was good at 3.5% I asked to see the credit score pulled and they pulled a 740 Trans. I was in shock so I got to thinking might as well try out Cap One, DH burned them in our BK, However I have had a car with them for 3 years ( not a big limit thou). Apped for DH with him sitting there saying no no no cards. He was approved venture 20K, QS 5k again I was floored, I did not believe it until they came in the mail yesterday and were activated, so my question is this can I app him for the venture one and hope for another 20K or is the wait 30 days rule still the rule? There is no real hurry we dont plan to use it after we get the bonus made and paid off. I just know good things don't stay around long and soon Cap One will shut this off. Advice, thoughts, experience with doing 3 app's within 30 days ( or at once for myself) ?????

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.