Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Pre-Qual

tag
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

Cap One Pre-Qual

My no-asset BK7 was discharged July 18th, 2017.
I had two Cap One cards IIB.
When checking the Cap One pre-qual link I consistently receive this message; "it looks like we can't provide you with any pre-qualified offers at this time."
I'm hoping to get back in Cap One's good graces in the quest to rebuild and responsibly utilize my new credit life so I applied for a Cap One Secured Card and was declined.
This made my heart sink.
There wasn't a HP on any of the three Credit Bureaus so I'm wondering if I'll ever see their card in my wallet again.
Not sure what to do now and in search of advice from those on this forum that might have experienced the same thing.
Since my discharge I HAVE acquired a Credit One card with a $500 CL, opened a Credit Builder loan with my CU, and opened a Penfed Share account in the hopes of qualifying for one of their card offerings in the future.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Pre-Qual

You're on CapOne's blacklist . . probably for a year.  Don't stress it. The CreditOne card will work just fine. You're doing the right things. Sit tight and you'll be ready for card #2 in a few months. You might get an offer from Merrick Bank which is a decent card. Discover (if they were not IIB) can be option probably about a year post d/c.

Message 2 of 6
texasguppie
Regular Contributor

I understand WHY I would be on a BL but others on this forum report being approved within months of their discharge DESPITE having their previous Cap One cards IIB.
I'll have no luck with Discover, AmEx or even Merrick as they too were IIB.
I'll lounge in the garden for six months and then apply for a card with my CU (where I have my Credit Builder loan) as my representative stated at the time of opening it that in that time I'll definitely be okay for a share secured card and perhaps one without a security requirement.
I'll hit up PenFed after being with them for a year (just opened an account with them today.)
I can be patient!
It's not like I have a choice!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Cap One year actually has a lot more to do with when the account was closed or charged off. In my case my Cap One accts were charged off more than a year before my BK7 was discharged and because of that I was able to get an unsecured Cap One Platinum the day after discharge. The good thing is they will let you back in, it may just take some time. It can be very discouraging but take your time. If you build it they will come lol. Good luck

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another tidbit I would like to add, while this board is SO valuable, posters tend to see others results and assume they will get the same. Just remember, every profile is different. 

Ive been approved for cards with lower scores than some posters and denied for cards with higher scores than some posters. 

You will have to take a different route, but you will reach your goals. 

Message 5 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@texasguppie wrote:
I understand WHY I would be on a BL but others on this forum report being approved within months of their discharge DESPITE having their previous Cap One cards IIB.
I'll have no luck with Discover, AmEx or even Merrick as they too were IIB.
I'll lounge in the garden for six months and then apply for a card with my CU (where I have my Credit Builder loan) as my representative stated at the time of opening it that in that time I'll definitely be okay for a share secured card and perhaps one without a security requirement.
I'll hit up PenFed after being with them for a year (just opened an account with them today.)
I can be patient!
It's not like I have a choice!

Just to give you something to look forward to: I included 2 Cap One CCs in my 2010 BK7, and assumed they'd never want to do business with me ever again. Then I found MyFico and learned they were very BK forgiving, it just takes time. I app'd for a Quicksilver card in Oct. 2014 - yeah, 4 years post BK, but instant approval for $10k. Smiley Happy

Be patient, Capital One will come through for you. Amex not so much, as in probably never, and Discover will take much longer than Cap One. Penfed is a good bet, but give them a year post DC.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.