Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 CLI a soft pull & Penfed question

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Cap1 CLI a soft pull & Penfed question

Good evening myFICOers,

My 3rd statement just cut today so I decided to request a CLI. I put in the info (salary, job, rent/mortgage, and monthly spend) and it immediately approved me for a $300 increase. 

Better than nothing are my thoughts, plus I'll receive the auto-CLI's from what I understand since I'm technically in the credit steps program.  I'm fairly certain that is just a SP, but wanted confirmation.  (BTW, I plan going for a second Cap1 card in June/July)

My second question is about Penfed...

I opened up an account with them around 2.5 months ago but just decided to go ahead and open a checking as well.  It asked me if I wanted the overdraft protection so I checked the yes box.  I now see that I have a "loan" account with them with an available balance of $500 14.99%. I didn't get a second pull from me since I was within the 1st 90days, and it did ask me to confirm that I accept the terms for a credit check.  So my question is if that is pretty normal for them to approve that for everyone? They are using a nearly 90 day old score and still gave it to me. Is it basically like the NLOC, but much lower amount? I had a $15k Navy CLOC before the BK7. 

One last question...it's been ~3mos since DC.  Should I wait another 3mos before attempting to refi at PenFed?  Currently with Cap1 at around 9.7% when we got approved 3 days after DC. 

Thanks, 

John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 CLI a soft pull & Penfed question

@j_casteel wrote:

Good evening myFICOers,

My 3rd statement just cut today so I decided to request a CLI. I put in the info (salary, job, rent/mortgage, and monthly spend) and it immediately approved me for a $300 increase. 

Better than nothing are my thoughts, plus I'll receive the auto-CLI's from what I understand since I'm technically in the credit steps program.  I'm fairly certain that is just a SP, but wanted confirmation.  (BTW, I plan going for a second Cap1 card in June/July)

My second question is about Penfed...

I opened up an account with them around 2.5 months ago but just decided to go ahead and open a checking as well.  It asked me if I wanted the overdraft protection so I checked the yes box.  I now see that I have a "loan" account with them with an available balance of $500 14.99%. I didn't get a second pull from me since I was within the 1st 90days, and it did ask me to confirm that I accept the terms for a credit check.  So my question is if that is pretty normal for them to approve that for everyone? They are using a nearly 90 day old score and still gave it to me. Is it basically like the NLOC, but much lower amount? I had a $15k Navy CLOC before the BK7. 

One last question...it's been ~3mos since DC.  Should I wait another 3mos before attempting to refi at PenFed?  Currently with Cap1 at around 9.7% when we got approved 3 days after DC. 

Thanks, 

John

The overdraft protection PenFed offers is their "thrifty" account. $500 is the norm, when I worked there I didn't see many people who had anything besides the $500 limit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed is still rather conservative and not that BK friendly. My discharge was last fall and I was just denied credit and car financing from them. Spoke They use the Nextgen score and not the fico8. The thrifty account will report on your reports as revolving though. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was discharged 5/2015. Joined PenFed 9/16. They gave me a thrifty credit account ($500) when I opened checking. Applied for Promise Visa 3/17. Denied. 667 FICO, 32% utilization. I sent a recon email and 2 days later they approved for $500. Sure, much lower limit than my other cards, but I'm in. Hope to get a nice increase after a few months. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.