Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne loves me, NFCU not so much...

tag
Danique
Regular Contributor

CapOne loves me, NFCU not so much...

My rebuild has been going pretty well due to the info I have received from these Boards! I'm currently 3 months out from my discharge and have been trying to grow with NFCU as I continue to get my finances back on track. However, it seems like they have other plans for me. Three days after discharge, the first card I apped and was approved for a Cap One Platinum with a limit of 1K.  About 2 weeks later, I opened a credit rebuilder loan with NFCU for 1K.  A week later, I was approved for a NRewards card with a $500 limit.  Researched a little and saw some people were getting CLI from CapOne after 2nd statement had cut. I decided to press my luck and BAM! they doubled my limit to 2K!!! Then I pc to a Quicksilver. Tried for a CLI with NFCU and was denied.  Figured it was too soon. I'm relocating to MD from NY and knew a car would be needed so I went to NFCU for financing, they approved 17K @ 8.5 rate. I felt that was great because the last time I had a car loan, it was for over twice that rate. Went to the dealership and fell in love with a Nissan Juke with low miles. Only problem is the vehicle came in for more than I was approved for. Called NFCU to cancel current auto loan request and request a new one, it was denied! Ended up going with CapOne, rate is 10.5. Third statement cut for NFCU and my 1K loan is paid down to $488.  Tried for a CLI, and got a message that request was received and will be reviewed within 24 hours, that was 48 hours ago.  I also apped for a Cash Rewards Visa and it was declined... Just trying to figure out why I'm not receiving any additional love from NFCU yet...

Discharged 4/28/2016
EQ-530/EX-600/TU-469

Current scores as of 2/06/2017
EQ-664/EX-667/TU-654

CapOne Quicksilver- $2,500

NFCU CashRewards - $12500

Overstock - $2200

Wayfair - $2200

HSN - $1250

Victoria Secret - $250

Discover IT - $1200

Amazon - $800

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Re: CapOne loves me, NFCU not so much...

You have not allowed enough consistent positive history elapse. If you carry a small balance, run money through for checking/savings for 2-3 months without apping for anything else you they will approve your CLI and next card.. You need to leave it alone for now. 

30 days - app for $500 LOC

90 days app for $5000loc and CLI to $5k on card..

Make sure you have money running through checking accounts..

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 2 of 4
Danique
Regular Contributor

@ihatemyscore wrote:

You have not allowed enough consistent positive history elapse. If you carry a small balance, run money through for checking/savings for 2-3 months without apping for anything else you they will approve your CLI and next card.. You need to leave it alone for now. 

30 days - app for $500 LOC

90 days app for $5000loc and CLI to $5k on card..

Make sure you have money running through checking accounts..

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to a rep at NFCU after receiving a response to a secure message that I had sent.  The secure message stated my account was 'too' new to receive a credit limit increase. I wanted to know what 'too new' was so I called. She told me that they like to see 6 months worth of activity on the account before granting CLI. I asked if this was for all members and she replied, 'Yes' and that all companies do.  So, for all of the posters that have said you received a CLI from NFCU before 6 months of history has been accomplished, you must have been lying... lol lol lol... After I told her that I don't believe that to be true, and definitely not for all credit card companies, it was time to end my call. I thanked her for her time and wished her a good day... I know YMMV but I guess I will just keep showing love to CapOne.  They believed in me when noone else really wanted to...

Discharged 4/28/2016
EQ-530/EX-600/TU-469

Current scores as of 2/06/2017
EQ-664/EX-667/TU-654

CapOne Quicksilver- $2,500

NFCU CashRewards - $12500

Overstock - $2200

Wayfair - $2200

HSN - $1250

Victoria Secret - $250

Discover IT - $1200

Amazon - $800

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same situation as me.... I just applied for 3rd card.. Plat and the gave me 14.4 cl... I had the other 2 cards 2 months. They denied me on cli also.. So, what they hey... More than one way to skin a cat.
Gl!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.